Heat Exchanger Failed on 2009 cup with 39 hrs on it

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:06 AM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Heat Exchanger Failed on 2009 cup with 39 hrs on it

Hey all,
I had started talking about this on a WTB thread I started so I figured for future referance it would be good to start a thread on it.

The car was sitting for about 6 months in the off season and because we were mostly vintage racing last year.
it was in a non insulated building that also had nice large gaps under the barn doors.
Bay area so no freezing temps.

There was a bunch of coolant hoses that had gotten chewed through due to rats and I decided it best to just drop the engine and make sure I got all the damaged hoses.

After it was all fixed I put it back in and warmed it up a bit to change the oils and got a nice distinct water/oil mix out of the drain plugs.
Decided it was best to pull the motor back out and send to BBI Autosport after taking with Betim.
They verified the heat exchanger had failed and pressure testing the engine cooling system and also performed a leak down and compression test with all 3 checking out.
Interesting note about this engine. 39 hrs ago when it was sent to PMNA to be refreshed was due to a failed heat exchanger.
Not sure if there is anything that could be done other than swap out the water for coolant to prevent any corrosion in the engine/radiators/exchanger in the off season.

So flying back to get the engine and truck back then back in and ready for our first race of the season.

New Bosch M4 997.1 ABS
New Megaline paddles.
Should be a good time.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

We change those all the time. Engine and transmission. On a 997.1 Cup with similar total hours on car, customer was on track and the diff started locking up. when we checked, the water reservoir was all dark and the tranny had an extra gallon or so of antifreeze. We pretty much change these out yearly now to avoid serious damage to engine or tranny.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:34 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Were you running straight water or an anti corrosive mix (antifreeze).
Old 02-23-2018, 12:02 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

We can only run straight water (always distilled) with water wetter. Thats requirement for most racing
Old 02-23-2018, 11:34 PM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

Damn I didn't even think of the trans cooler.
I am sure it should be changed as well.
I was just down in Huntington Beach and should have drove by PMNA on the way home.

We were using distilled water and the 2 liters of the PNMA anti corrosive
Old 02-23-2018, 11:43 PM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

Is there enough room to change the gearbox exchanger with it installed in the car?
Old 02-24-2018, 08:58 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to do a partial drop, but yes. Engine does not need to come out, just lowered a few inches. Not sure it really saves a ton of time that way, but it can be done.

Thanks
Ed
Old 02-24-2018, 12:20 PM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ed,
I still have them separated and out of the car at the moment but planned on getting it back in this weekend/Monday and suspect if PMNA has the exchanger in stock its a day to me which puts us at Tuesday then the car needs to be in the trailer by Thursday afternoon ready to go
which includes figuring out why the paddles are not working after I remove the laptop from the equation lol

which is kinda why I need to have it all installed then change it after I get that all sorted out.

Quick Reply: Heat Exchanger Failed on 2009 cup with 39 hrs on it