Sponsored by:

Question: maintenance of Cup vs. Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:31 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question: maintenance of Cup vs. Clubsport

Would appreciate the wisdom of the experts on the forum. I understand that Cups are purpose-built race cars and have general maintenance/rebuild/replacement recommendations based on hours use on components such as the engine, transmission, axles, etc. On the flip side, the GT4 Clubsport is more directly derived from a street car and is described by many as having far less running cost than Cups, at least in part because there are no similar suggested rebuild/replace recommendations on the engine, transmission, etc.

So, my question is whether these differences are "real"? Is the Cup car engine really less robust than the GT4 motor, such that it requires a rebuild after 50 or 80 hours when the GT4 can go, what, maybe 50K miles before a rebuild? Same question could be asked about transmission (understand there may be a significant difference between a Cup sequential and an PDK). And, there are probably several other wear components on a Cup (axles, shifter cables, shocks, etc.) that don't get discussed regarding the cost of operating a GT4 Clubsport.

Are we kidding ourselves regarding the cost of operating a Clubsport? or, do they truly have a significantly lower operating cost? Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:03 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

caymans are lower cost, for sure. its not like $200/hour vs $3000/hour running costs. but its a really good chunk less. the couple most costly items just last longer on the Caymans. the tires, engines and tranmissions. they just last longer, presuming no issues. the new 991.2 cups go 100 hours on the engine and 80ish on the trans which significantly reduces the 991.2 cup costs. but having owned both and written checks for both...yeah, checks you write for a cayman are less than the cup by a reasonable margin.
and when you really whack something up, the checks for the cup get wild quickly. its a real difference. only you can decide how much more is it worth having a cup vs a cayman.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:34 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Appreciate the voice of experience!
Old 01-19-2018, 05:30 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I consider myself a relative novice, so other opinions may be more valuable to you. However, I have found the maintenance expenses to be manageable even for someone of modest means like myself. I have not analyzed my categorized expenses for the last year (I'm afraid!), but maintenance and repairs (assuming no wreck) is not major expense in running a Clubsport. Other expenses, for example tires, are more burdensome.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess I consider tires something you burn up, like gasoline, rather than maintenance.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:15 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

My experience is that tires are a wash. I ran the same Pirelli DH spec tire (albeit, not the same size) on both cars. My goal is/was to win outright/overall in club racing.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:19 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

thanks...

Last edited by spg993tt; 01-21-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:36 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
strongest cayman i had was a very quick world challenge cayman, 3.4l dfi, etc. ran 54s at limerock. it just had less torque than the cups and youc ould get a few more sessions out of them. on the cups ive had, after 3ish sessions, the fallofff is a bunch, so you can of course keep running and get a ton more use out of them though not speed which isnt bad thing for learning either...but the cayman tires, same spec pretty much, stay about the same. costs are the same its about minutes you can get out of them before they degrade.

the other thing to consider is that, many can get away owning a cup or cayman without having to rebuild motors or transmissions. some call it deferred maintenance. and with no disrespect to most club racers, of which i consider myself one, they often defer maintence. they dont replace axles maybe till they go pop, wheel bearings, when is the last time you've seen a club guy replace control arms or fuel lines or the harness because its exceeded pmna time spec. and yet, ive known some great pro teams, some actually follow those things closely.
depending on the crash history, if you do the research, often buying a car come out of the great pro team if its been maintained could offer less surprise than buying from a club guy who didnt replace anything during their enjoyment of it.
i guess my point is...it also depends on the level of maintenance you want to incur voluntarily. there again, the cups are way more costly, parts are more costly, and hours are less.

i will say this...my world challenge cayman. maybe the most fun car i ever drove. ever. sometimes in the 997 cups or the gt3R, its so much speed, so much torque, that it steps across the line very quickly. sometimes, id get out of the way, wow'd, enthralled but exhausted and sometimes glad to be out of the cockpit. with the cayman, it was really fast, 54s at lrp is fast....but it just felt easier, was less stress, less anxiety, almost like a car you wanted to drive all day and never get out of.

so lots of costs and issues. both amazing machines. ultimately, you will love both. but, if you're worried at all about the dollars....go with the cayman. love it enjoy it. there will always be a cup ready to purchase and hammer.
54 at limerock?

Track record is 55

You must have a strong world challenge car hehe!

Kidding aside

Cayman are very fast car in good hands, lot of time you will be faster than 3/4 of the cup field in corner.
On the straight, well its only a 3.4
Old 01-20-2018, 05:51 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

cayman, great cars.

Last edited by spg993tt; 01-21-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:56 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. I wasn't thinking tires or other consumables. And, I understand cup parts are more expensive. What I really didn't get was why a cup engine would need to be rebuilt at 60 (or whatever) hours and the Cayman wouldn't. I assume both would be pushed to the same extremes, which would create similar wear and tear. Same issue with suspension parts. Probably not same issue with transmission.

Good point about deferred maintenance vs. replacing everything at PMNA spec hours.

Clubsports seem to still be in short supply and are priced accordingly, while there are a bunch of 7.2 and a few 1.1 cups (many appear to be well maintained) priced $20-50K less. Hard decision.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:01 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

I guy in our club recently took delivery of a clubsport, he says 50,000 kms (31,000 miles) on the engine before needing rebuild. Cup car club racers are getting what, 200 hours? What does that equate to in miles? Say 20,000 miles? Both are loooong intervals.

All I hear about with cups is the engine interval being short, yet I hear of lots of cars running 10,000, 15,000 kms between rebuilds. I know of one car that had something like 18,000 kms on the motor and then ran a Nürburgring 24 hour. There was even one guy on this forum who ran 275 hours!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:39 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
I guy in our club recently took delivery of a clubsport, he says 50,000 kms (31,000 miles) on the engine before needing rebuild. Cup car club racers are getting what, 200 hours? What does that equate to in miles? Say 20,000 miles? Both are loooong intervals.

All I hear about with cups is the engine interval being short, yet I hear of lots of cars running 10,000, 15,000 kms between rebuilds. I know of one car that had something like 18,000 kms on the motor and then ran a Nürburgring 24 hour. There was even one guy on this forum who ran 275 hours!
Therein lies the truth, especially amateur cars. Engine and gearbox refresh thoughts posted here are generally nonsense...its a stock gt3 engine without variocam...if its got a blipper then the gearbox is usually in good shape. I had 17000km on a stock 07 for example,before blipper install. Ring and pinion is known to flake over time, skinny gears ie,pre 2011.5 cup sequential can also fail. If they've been updated to thick gears...Good to go...overrrevs 10500 and under, usually fine...loads of firsthand experience with loads of cups...I like cups...no safer racecar and no firewall,engine near my spine...Cayman is showing to be a great car however and I would do a factory race Cayman if I went that way.
The following users liked this post:
rebrewer (01-30-2020)
Old 01-21-2018, 11:27 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

The Clubsport engine & gearbox are literally bulletproof*. Have had two 24H races in the CSMR (same car as CS just with diff. suspension, minor enduro features and weight savings) -- they just run and run. The TC and ESP electronics are very well done for learners**, so much that you can survive (some) race-ending FUBARs in other cars. And that's before you get to the advantage in the wet...

Can't say the same of the 997.x or 991.1 Cups. Taking delivery of the 991.2 in March for the regional Carrera Cup, can tell you how the actual vs. advertised maintenance costs stack up by season-end LOL...

Point on "deferred maintenance" is very very true. Everything on a racecar *must* be timed out. Don't chance an axle or wheel carrier change, even if the part seems to run fine at 150% spec hours. With the Cayman you have a much wider maintenance window: more street parts (2.7 Boxster PDK gearbox, 981 GT4 engine,) less wear/tear from lower speeds & g's hence nearly 2x-3x the lifing (if not longer) of say a 997 Cup.

*We did lose one race from a burst coolant expansion tank in the CS, apparently that's a known weak point. That aside, I have yet to hear of a bust engine or gearbox in any CS. Ask for a show of hands in the Cups and you'll have no end to the replies.

**I wouldn't campaign a CS without access to the factory laptop and software updates. The PDK and ABS settings are highly sensitive to wheel diameter and you really need that dialed in every race.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. I wasn't thinking tires or other consumables. And, I understand cup parts are more expensive. What I really didn't get was why a cup engine would need to be rebuilt at 60 (or whatever) hours and the Cayman wouldn't. I assume both would be pushed to the same extremes, which would create similar wear and tear. Same issue with suspension parts. Probably not same issue with transmission.

Good point about deferred maintenance vs. replacing everything at PMNA spec hours.

Clubsports seem to still be in short supply and are priced accordingly, while there are a bunch of 7.2 and a few 1.1 cups (many appear to be well maintained) priced $20-50K less. Hard decision.
Good, un-crashed Clubsports are rare as there have been a fair amount of write-offs in a short period of time. The Clubsport was really sold into amateur club racing type series and given the very small fields, there isn't a lot of experience yet in terms of how long they last. We have seen for the past two years that Clubsport engines will fail and from 981 and 987 race car conversions that PDK also fails. Other than timing out the usual parts (axles, suspension, calipers), most racers track oil pressure and oil analysis on Caymans to catch the motor before it fails. The downside to Cayman manual and PDK transmissions (987/981) is that they don't get overhauled. You basically have to replace with new - and new Porsche gearboxes are expensive (especially if you can't get core credit) and they are hard to come by.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:27 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Therein lies the truth, especially amateur cars. Engine and gearbox refresh thoughts posted here are generally nonsense...its a stock gt3 engine without variocam...if its got a blipper then the gearbox is usually in good shape. I had 17000km on a stock 07 for example,before blipper install. Ring and pinion is known to flake over time, skinny gears ie,pre 2011.5 cup sequential can also fail. If they've been updated to thick gears...Good to go...overrrevs 10500 and under, usually fine...loads of firsthand experience with loads of cups...I like cups...no safer racecar and no firewall,engine near my spine...Cayman is showing to be a great car however and I would do a factory race Cayman if I went that way.
This is interesting. I have heard the internal components between the cup engines and street GT3 differ owing to the shorter intervals on the cup? Street guys are seeing 30-40,000 track miles (small sample size based on these forums only) with as much street mileage on top of that. I was previously fearful of the engine overhauls but it will take me an eternity to reach anywhere near 200 hours in a cup car (i.e. I will never get there!).

Glen, are you saying you went 17,000km on the engine or the gearbox without overhaul?

Quick Reply: Question: maintenance of Cup vs. Clubsport