Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a older porsche.(06)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Nitro lx
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a older porsche.(06)

Hello all.
New to the fourms and been thinking about buying a older porsche.
What are some things i should look for?
Should i stay away from a older model?

Im looking at a 2006 Cayman S with 11k miles.

looks pretty clean to me, i will be having a PPI done before buying it of course.

anything else i should worry about?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/photos.ecarl...g?t=1488614400

here is a few pics of the car..
Old 05-10-2017, 12:24 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

You'll get better play in the 987 Forum. I'll ask a Mod to move your thread. Good luck with your car search.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Moving this thread to the Cayman forum.

Thanks, Lex!
Old 05-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Nitro lx
5th Gear

Thanks for the move.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:26 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Beautiful color.

Lots of info here and on Planet 9, but if it will ever see a track, you'll need to make some mods or look into a 987.2 (MY 2009-12).

The main issue for a stock 987.1 3.4 is the IMS bearing. You can grenade your engine if you are one of the lucky few. Non tracked cars can have this happen, but it seems to be most common on tracked cars, but there is no real data available and PAG sure ain't given up what they know. You'll read forum members says it's only 1% (the IMSB problem) but none of us mere mortals really know. That fact that there are the number I do see, leads me to believe it is way too common for my comfort level and wallet. Also, there are issues with AOS, shifter cables for MT, water pumps and bore scoring (oil starvation). AOS, cables and WP are not big expense items.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Eddie
Old 05-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Nitro lx
5th Gear

Originally Posted by eddielasvegas
Beautiful color.

Lots of info here and on Planet 9, but if it will ever see a track, you'll need to make some mods or look into a 987.2 (MY 2009-12).

The main issue for a stock 987.1 3.4 is the IMS bearing. You can grenade your engine if you are one of the lucky few. Non tracked cars can have had this happen, but it seems to be most common on tracked cars, but there is no real data available and PAG sure ain't given it up what they know. Also, issues with AOS, shifter cables for MT, water pumps and bore scoring (oil starvation).

Eddie

Never will track the car to be honest more of a fun daily driver.(yes i have a second car for times when the weather is bad and such but i feel like i will never drive it and use this 24/7)

I heard of the IMS bearing issue and there was a class action lawsuit against porsche about it.. didnt read too much into this yet.. automatic car =\ ..
ill have to look into the other issues seems like.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:46 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the process of buying a 2006 Cayman S.

Most people who actually work on these cars (and who are not trying to sell you something like surgery on your engine :-) ) will tell you that IMS problems on the 2006 to 2008 Cayman and Cayman S models is a very rare phenomenon.

You will find that there are a number of 2006-2008 models available and the prices can be reasonable. You will also find that the 987.2 cars are much rarer and way more expensive. So, not only will it be hard to locate a 2009+ vehicle, but you will pay a lot for it when and if you find one.

There are a number of failure modes for a Porsche engine. The 2000 through 2005 model years had a very high (roughly 10%) risk of IMS implosion. The 2006 through 2008 cars had a small enough risk of IMS failure, that it ends up just being one of the several ways that your engine can meet its maker.

I am sure that earlier and later Porsche engines do occasionally blow up from various other causes. This is a risk that you take with a high performance, and especially a Porsche engine. Engines are not the only expensive things on Porsches that break.

Whereas I would not buy a 2000 to 2005 Porsche (and maybe not a 1999 or 1998, either), other than a Turbo, that has not had its IMS dealt with, the risk on the 2006 to 2008 does not rise to the level where an IMS failure is the most likely expensive repair you will have on your car should you buy one.

If you are not sufficiently well capitalized to be able to handle an expensive repair on a Porsche, you should definitely rethink the entire idea of buying a Porsche, any Porsche.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Nitro lx
5th Gear

Originally Posted by eddielasvegas
Beautiful color.

The main issue for a stock 987.1 3.4 is the IMS bearing. You can grenade your engine if you are one of the lucky few. Non tracked cars can have this happen, but it seems to be most common on tracked cars, but there is no real data available and PAG sure ain't given up what they know. You'll read forum members says it's only 1% (the IMSB problem) but none of us mere mortals really know. That fact that there are the number I do see, leads me to believe it is way too common for my comfort level and wallet. Also, there are issues with AOS, shifter cables for MT, water pumps and bore scoring (oil starvation). AOS, cables and WP are not big expense items.

Eddie
Originally Posted by champignon
I'm in the process of buying a 2006 Cayman S.

Most people who actually work on these cars (and who are not trying to sell you something like surgery on your engine :-) ) will tell you that IMS problems on the 2006 to 2008 Cayman and Cayman S models is a very rare phenomenon.

You will find that there are a number of 2006-2008 models available and the prices can be reasonable. You will also find that the 987.2 cars are much rarer and way more expensive. So, not only will it be hard to locate a 2009+ vehicle, but you will pay a lot for it when and if you find one.

There are a number of failure modes for a Porsche engine. The 2000 through 2005 model years had a very high (roughly 10%) risk of IMS implosion. The 2006 through 2008 cars had a small enough risk of IMS failure, that it ends up just being one of the several ways that your engine can meet its maker.

I am sure that earlier and later Porsche engines do occasionally blow up from various other causes. This is a risk that you take with a high performance, and especially a Porsche engine. Engines are not the only expensive things on Porsches that break.

Whereas I would not buy a 2000 to 2005 Porsche (and maybe not a 1999 or 1998, either), other than a Turbo, that has not had its IMS dealt with, the risk on the 2006 to 2008 does not rise to the level where an IMS failure is the most likely expensive repair you will have on your car should you buy one.

If you are not sufficiently well capitalized to be able to handle an expensive repair on a Porsche, you should definitely rethink the entire idea of buying a Porsche, any Porsche.

i dont mind spending the 1-2k repair here and there but im afraid of paying for the 3k-10k every month.. i will also have a 3rd party warranty for any crazy repairs.. so thats a positive..
i heard the less its driver the more prone it is to the IMS problem.. but once again i have no idea.. first time really looking at a porsche..

i checked out the car yeterday everything looks good so far.. i will need my guy from porsche to take a look at it and do a PPI.. make sure he says its clean.

the only concern i had was on one side there is a side sticker? or reflector? but not on the other.. was that reflector standard?
Old 05-06-2018, 07:21 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

I went through this process (1st Porsche) last summer. As you, I read everything I could and for a while was almost scared to buy anything! I pulled the plug on a couple of 911s post-PPI and bought an '06 Cayman S after driving one. I've gotten involved with my local PCA chapter and have been better educated; there are a lot of healthy 987.1's around here. Bought a car with 42K, fairly complete service records from new, a recent 40k service, and a clean PPI. I could have afforded a newer car, but try to be reasonable in my toy expenses. My experience thus far has been great. It's a pleasure to drive, no signs of trouble. I checked the crankcase vacuum and it's pulling within spec, so no indications of AOS trouble. I'm planning to get an LN .5 qt. sump with X51 style baffles to reduce and oil surge here in the mountains, but that's purely preventive.

I can't imagine paying big money for anything other than a catastrophic failure. I'm due for a 5K/annual service now. Will have it done at local Porsche dealer just to establish a relationship. Their quote is $350. Then I have a local shop. I'm anticipating $1000 / year in routine service with occasional other work (water pump, etc.)

As far as your sticker or reflector, if it's a stick-on it's not stock. Have the dealer remove it prior to purchase.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a older porsche.(06)