Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much room is there to negotiate? ~80K optioned CS

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 PM
ss94
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much room is there to negotiate? ~80K optioned CS

Long story short I'm looking into purchasing a 2014 Cayman S.

Optioned out it's a tad over 80k, granted tax, fees, etc... will put it near or over 90k out the door.

This is my first large purchase of this nature and I want to get the best deal on a NEW Porsche as possible. I've considered used, but I really just want the experience of a NEW one.

Here's the link to the Cayman S optioned the way I want.

Can I expect to be able to negotiate the price at all, or is the price the price and because it's a Porsche that's that?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 PM
SeanAlexander
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got about $5K off of a $78,950 MSRP on my 2014 CS. Another SoCal dealer had also offered me $5K off a different $81,400 MSRP CS, before I bought my car.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM
ss94
4th Gear

Originally Posted by SeanAlexander
I got about $5K off of a $78,950 MSRP on my 2014 CS. Another SoCal dealer had also offered me $5K off a different $81,400 MSRP CS, before I bought my car.
That's nice to hear.

I would love to be able to get the options i want and get in the neighborhood of 5k off msrp.

Are there any other options I haven't selected that you would recommend? I think I've covered all the ones I want while not optioning a fully loaded 100k+ CS either (which imho is too much).
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I would not count on that though. You are much more likely 95% to run into a Zero discount negotiation .
Old 08-29-2013, 02:22 AM
SeanAlexander
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ss94
Are there any other options I haven't selected that you would recommend? I think I've covered all the ones I want while not optioning a fully loaded 100k+ CS either (which imho is too much).
You selected an S model with a manual and a Sport Design wheel, and that's really all that matters in my book. I do love your interior choice, but I'd drop the power seats and go with manual Sport Seats Plus, unless you are sharing the car and regularly swapping-back-and-forth with another driver.

You're very close to how my own CS is spec'd. Except I got std suspension, Agate Gray and Platinum Satin 20" Carrera S wheels. (looks amazing)
Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

the manual seats and the 14 way power seats are different when you sit in them - see what is comfortable for you. As for $$, I got a several grand discount, but at the price of these cars, it's less the$$ discount than making sure you get the car you really will live with. buy the tire and wheel warranty.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM
73S
AutoX

I got 6% off on mine. The dealer profit margin is around 10% on these cars, so it is possible to eat into it a little more. Part of it depends on how many dealers are in your area. It's much easier to get a discount if the dealer is competing for your business.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:48 PM
ss94
4th Gear

Originally Posted by SeanAlexander
You selected an S model with a manual and a Sport Design wheel, and that's really all that matters in my book. I do love your interior choice, but I'd drop the power seats and go with manual Sport Seats Plus, unless you are sharing the car and regularly swapping-back-and-forth with another driver.

You're very close to how my own CS is spec'd. Except I got std suspension, Agate Gray and Platinum Satin 20" Carrera S wheels. (looks amazing)
The power seats were required for the interior choice. Also, I'm the only one that will be driving the Cayman 99% of the time. If I could I would get the basic seats since I won't be changing the seat settings too often.

Also, any idea what insurance is for full 100/300/100? Is more coverage recommended?

I currently pay 100/mo. For an Audi TT. I'm 19, never been pulled over so no tickets, and I have several discounts like multi-car, good student, and renters ins.

And before judgements are made, my dad or mom isn't buying this for me. My company is doing well and My new product I started production on over the summer is selling well and my company is giving me a car allowance.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

try autobytel and have dealers "bidding" for your business.

last year everyone told me NO discounts available on the mercedes GL, and some dealers acted like they were doing me a favor at $2k off.
after using autobytel, i got several dealers calling me and i just played them off one another.
bottom line, i helped my friend get her GL450 for $7k off sticker price - you just never know what you can get it for unless you can use the internet to be your "friend."

Patrick
03 C4S
Old 08-30-2013, 02:59 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

you can get discounts. But, on a $100K car (plus or minus), saving 5% or 7% is a lot of money if you look at it one way, but buying a car that doesn't make you happy, or having a non-supportive dealer is way more costly.

Your insurance will go up, possibly more than double - depends on the company - again, don't go cheap, get some quality - I've had good luck with State Farm for insurance but they are not the only fish in the pond.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:46 AM
ss94
4th Gear

We'll see how it goes.

Either ordering for Christmas delivery, or more likely going to wait and order for spring/summer Germany delivery. Vacation and a car in one

Ill definitely keep touch in this forum. I'm on vwvortex mainly since I have an Audi tt, mk2 vr6t, and a mk3 vr6 jetta.

I'm with State Farm currently. I'll shoot them a call soon to see what my premium will be. Or I might have to have the car registered under my company for lower premiums. It all depends I guess.

Just hope it won't be more than $250/mo because that's absurd to me. Even if my company is doing well I think more than that on insurance is just ridiculous money to drive.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:28 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

absurd and porsche go together price wise.wait till ya have the first service done
Old 08-30-2013, 04:23 PM
73S
AutoX

Originally Posted by ss94
We'll see how it goes.

Either ordering for Christmas delivery, or more likely going to wait and order for spring/summer Germany delivery. Vacation and a car in one

Ill definitely keep touch in this forum. I'm on vwvortex mainly since I have an Audi tt, mk2 vr6t, and a mk3 vr6 jetta.

I'm with State Farm currently. I'll shoot them a call soon to see what my premium will be. Or I might have to have the car registered under my company for lower premiums. It all depends I guess.

Just hope it won't be more than $250/mo because that's absurd to me. Even if my company is doing well I think more than that on insurance is just ridiculous money to drive.
I would quote Geico. My rate didn't change when I went from my old Audi S5 to a Cayman S ($85/month for me and my wife combined). I'm 30 though. 19 will be way more.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:29 PM
SeanAlexander
Intermediate

My rate went down with Geico, trading from an '11 M3 Sedan to the new '14 Cayman S. With my wife and a Mercedes CLS550 also on the plan, it dropped from $177 per month total for 300/100/300 all the way down to $168 per month total.

Quick Reply: How much room is there to negotiate? ~80K optioned CS