Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest A91 GT3 engine in Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

The Cayman link below is a great read and not something magazines that accept advertising would ever, ever say vis a vis the 911 and Cayman virtues:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...n-the-911.html
Old 04-11-2013, 03:00 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to snicker at the last line of the edmonds article.

What about women that like performance automobiles and like them for the performance and also appreciate the looks (of the car I meant, but the "other" looks are inevitable, I reckon)???
Old 04-11-2013, 03:33 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The Cayman link below is a great read and not something magazines that accept advertising would ever, ever say vis a vis the 911 and Cayman virtues:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...n-the-911.html
Frankly, I still have to explain to women that 1) I didn't buy a 911, and 2) That I didn't spend a ton of money on it. It's surprising what they just assume. Not bad for a first year Cayman.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:52 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Sorry for the delay. The ping-ponging you saw among the Cayman and the DPs happened 120 sec before the intended stop. When the Doc came on the radio like he had just been body-slammed, he had a flat LF so I pulled the audible and called the stop 5 seconds later; we got lucky given that we were on sequence.

As for sumps, while the new on-demand oil delivery from Porsche present in the 997.2 and 987.2 cars will never get Metzger-esque approval, given that we ran it for 24 hours around the 31 degree Daytona banking on the OE oil supply and sump system, IN A CAYMAN, I don't think its cause for concern.

Porsche AG did their oil starvation homework. These cars are influenced by the lat-g sensors and will make over 100psi oil pressure under acceleration in a corner.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

You can stick a GT3 engine and transmission in a caymen.

I do not think you can mate the caymen PDK to the GT3 engine however?

You can also stick a GT3 Cup and sequential transmission in a caymen as a local shop to me is doing it.

Regardless of what combo you stuff in a caymen, you need to ask youself what will you be using it for and what possible race class could it run with as a future option. These factors will help determine the build and resale.

One thing is for certain, a Caymen with a 3.8L is a potent and more afforable alternative to a GT3 for D.E and competition due to the engine and tranny replacement costs.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
You can stick a GT3 engine and transmission in a caymen.

I do not think you can mate the caymen PDK to the GT3 engine however?

You can also stick a GT3 Cup and sequential transmission in a caymen as a local shop to me is doing it.

Regardless of what combo you stuff in a caymen, you need to ask youself what will you be using it for and what possible race class could it run with as a future option. These factors will help determine the build and resale.

One thing is for certain, a Caymen with a 3.8L is a potent and more afforable alternative to a GT3 for D.E and competition due to the engine and tranny replacement costs.
Mezger engine GT3 a no go to PDK or any other streetable gearbox, A91 GT3 should be a bolt up to PDK or 6 speed
Old 05-07-2013, 03:04 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Mezger engine GT3 a no go to PDK or any other streetable gearbox, A91 GT3 should be a bolt up to PDK or 6 speed
I wonder what the price of a 991GT3 engine will be?
If it fits, it would be better then the Carrera GTS motor! Price of course being a major factor...
Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I wonder what the price of a 991GT3 engine will be?
If it fits, it would be better then the Carrera GTS motor! Price of course being a major factor...
What are you going to do with it, Tom?
Is this to replace the pumpkin on the Targa, or something else?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I know I know...we couldn't leave well enough alone. It's not a 9A1 GT3 engine, but it is a 400hp 9A1 DFI engine! Now that's a swap! 275hp to 400hp!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I know I know...we couldn't leave well enough alone. It's not a 9A1 GT3 engine, but it is a 400hp 9A1 DFI engine! Now that's a swap! 275hp to 400hp!

I suspect late GT3 no more difficult except to locate an oil tank and probably some other unseen issues.

That would be 275 to 475 HP! Wow.

I wonder what a Cayman 6 speed can handle as far as torque?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The replacement cost of a GT3 motor is probably equal to that of the cost of the car. The motor cost makes it a project though that no one will want to underwrite. Given that the new GT3 motor is "based on" on the DFI 9A1 engine, it will probably bolt up but we won't know because it's all based on speculation as to what they mean when they say "based on." Until we see it and the PDK trans that they say is designed for the GT3, we won't know.

No one can get a 991 right now with 475hp anyway, so this car doesn't need one just yet either. It may not be a GT3 motor but it is a motor that if you woke up one morning deciding you didn't like the way it sounded or smelled, you could replace it for a fraction of what the new GT3 motor would cost to replace.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

The replacement cost of a GT3 motor is probably equal to that of the cost of the car. The motor cost makes it a project though that no one will want to underwrite. Given that the new GT3 motor is "based on" on the DFI 9A1 engine, it will probably bolt up but we won't know because it's all based on speculation as to what they mean when they say "based on." Until we see it and the PDK trans that they say is designed for the GT3, we won't know.

No one can get a 991 right now with 475hp anyway, so this car doesn't need one just yet either. It may not be a GT3 motor but it is a motor that if you woke up one morning deciding you didn't like the way it sounded or smelled, you could replace it for a fraction of what the new GT3 motor would cost to replace.
All true we don't really know as yet. The 991 7 speed, which is based on the PDK, won't fit in a Cayman and the issue of differential direction is not solved, by that transmission, so I presume that nothing but a Cayman specific gearbox will work if at all.

I doubt that anyone will step up to the parts department for a new GT3 engine, but they will arrive on the salvage market. My buddy has 12 salvage 996/997 GT3's in his hobby shop.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The 987.2 6-speed trans comes from a diesel Audi available only in Europe in FWD form. It was when I found this piece of information, that I had enough faith in the transmission to last the 24 hours of Daytona if we bolted it to a 3.8L DFI motor. No one thought it would last. So, I believe that if you want a 6-speed the manual 987.2/981 trans is up to the task; the problem is that I have a lot of customers that want a true racing sequential for a Cayman and as you pointed out, the gearbox's needing to be flipped over and turned around rules out being able to use any type off 997 Cup trans. We could build some pretty amazing Caymans but I have come to find that resale value is tough whereas someone with a 997 will get a wider array of buyers. I don't think anyone on this board would love this project if I told them it turned out to be a $125K investment in a chassis that lists for $75K AVG MSRP.

You and Mr. Mooty are my big west coast PR guys though. Help me find some interested west coast buyers! I left Manhattan Beach, CA to live in Daytona Beach, FL and not a week goes by that I don't wonder what sort of customer base we could create out there!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

The 987.2 6-speed trans comes from a diesel Audi available only in Europe in FWD form. It was when I found this piece of information, that I had enough faith in the transmission to last the 24 hours of Daytona if we bolted it to a 3.8L DFI motor. No one thought it would last. So, I believe that if you want a 6-speed the manual 987.2/981 trans is up to the task; the problem is that I have a lot of customers that want a true racing sequential for a Cayman and as you pointed out, the gearbox's needing to be flipped over and turned around rules out being able to use any type off 997 Cup trans. We could build some pretty amazing Caymans but I have come to find that resale value is tough whereas someone with a 997 will get a wider array of buyers. I don't think anyone on this board would love this project if I told them it turned out to be a $125K investment in a chassis that lists for $75K AVG MSRP.

You and Mr. Mooty are my big west coast PR guys though. Help me find some interested west coast buyers! I left Manhattan Beach, CA to live in Daytona Beach, FL and not a week goes by that I don't wonder what sort of customer base we could create out there!
Any idea how strong/reliable the PDK unit is on a cayman with 400hp 3.8L?
Old 05-16-2013, 03:19 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think it's sufficient given that it works really well on the 997.2 Twin Turbo and that PMAG felt that it was up to the task on the GT3 so there are two cars, both with more torque delivery. When you look at the power numbers from groups like BBi and Evo that make those HUGE 997 turbos, some are PDK and they're just now hurting clutches, etc.

I think that PDK on a 300lb/ft car is fine and given that the new 981 and 991 cars come stock with gearbox coolers, they're actually cooling the gearbox and letting the wet clutch cooler cool the PDK. I just did 3 hours at a NASA enduro in a Cayman built with a trans cooler setup that we have been using in Grand-Am and it did 3 hours very well with zero bad behavior. My left leg cramped from lack of shifting. I never shifted a gear or used a clutch. The clutches didn't overheat. In stock form for a street car it's fine but if you are going to track it, you HAVE TO put coolers on.

Quick Reply: Latest A91 GT3 engine in Cayman?