Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unexpected maintenance costs on my '08 CS

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I think that is right too Greg. That is why I put "somewhere in there" .

I was not asking for just IMS when I asked the dealer which ones were the more reliable ( or improved ) Caymans. They said 2010 and I dont have any reason to doubt them.

From L N responses I think 2009 are good.

For me I still want a Porsche CPO and extended warranty if I drop a check on a used one. Just as a general rule. Others ideas may vary.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:10 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the rumors of issues with ims were enough to make me go with a new gen11
Old 04-05-2013, 05:09 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Interestingly enough I just got a call from the Porsche dealer here to come over and drive the new Cayman and come to the Cayman launch party too.

I think I am going to do that !
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my 09 was my first and last po
Old 04-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Pnug
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TexasRider,
I looked at your reference to Planet-9's poll, the poll on this sight for IMS faiures (5? you would think if you had one you'd comment on it) and that post you mentioned here. The polls have no identified failures related to the IMS bearing nor does the post here have a conclusion as to what the actual cause was just guesses. Show me a thread that says, "Hey, just had a funny clicking noise, shut her down. They pulled it apart and the IMS bearing was in pieces". Or maybe, some photos of the bearing would be nice too, like all the ones from 911s and Boxsters with 25k miles on them. Where are those photos?

The bearing is not the same as on the older Boxsters. Not sure why Porsche decided to put it into the case so as to not allow for external replacement, maybe because they felt that they had solved the problem. LN Engineering is stating that bearing will fail as some point which might be true but from the seal not the bearings themselves. So when you have the tranny dropped for whatever reason and it's been 60k miles replace the seal, just makes sense. I'm sure we will see IMS failures at some point on Caymans but not at any rate close to the previous engine version and certainly not at 20k miles otherwise you'd have seen a post. If you treat that seal as a maintenance item at the clutch replacement, I would think that you should be fine. I'm much more worried about the oil and rod bolts that's why I'm installing 996 swirl pots and FVD's oil pan.

If I were buying a Cayman today, I'd be getting a 987.2 2nd year or newer (never buy the 1st year of any model) not because of the IMS but the oiling issue, DFI, the cool LED tail lights and a $60k+ car that I can plug my iPod into? Porsche is always way behind the curve on electronics.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:13 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Again , for me, I want the year models that are likely to have improvements or "less" of these known problems - so we can find the new problems . That is sticking with the line of buying the best and newest Porsche you want to pay for.

I am going to be looking at 2010 and newer cars, or at least one with a CPO and a Porsche extended warranty.

But first I am going to take the Porsche dealer up on his offer to see and drive the new Cayman.

I hope the OP has both his Cayman and the 951 all going back good soon .

Quick Reply: Unexpected maintenance costs on my '08 CS