Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 PM
GelbGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery kill switch

I'm installing a 6-pole kill switch. Two poles are to be wired within the main power wire from the ignition switch to the ignition coil. Can anyone identify that wire and the best place to access it?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:18 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

I'm going by memory but I think its fuse #D7 that should be for the fuel rail and the ignition coils. Two of your poles from your solenoid need to wire over to the back side of the fuse panel on that wire and once you cut the connection, you re-butt connect it with the wires coming off the solenoid. Otherwise the alternator gets back-fed and the car continues to run with the switch on or off.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:13 PM
GelbGT3
Rennlist Member

I think you're right about the fuse for the ignition coils. I'll check it tonight.

When you refer to the poles on the "solenoid," I assume you mean the kill switch. Correct?

The back of the fuse block is covered, and I was hoping to avoid further dissection by identifying the coil wire by color and connecting to it elsewhere in the harness (e.g., under the dash under the A pillar). Any idea what color or stripe the wire is/
Old 08-25-2012, 07:27 PM
GelbGT3
Rennlist Member

The fuse block diagram shows that the fuse for the ignition coils is # 7 on Row D (the bottom or 4th row). Pulling that fuse with the engine running kills the engine immediately.

Separating the fuse block from the bracket that mounts it to the car, and examining the back of the fuse block reveals that the wire to fuse D7 is black with a blue stripe.

As I prepare to cut that wire I feel like I'm trying to disarm a bomb - not certain of what I'm doing, but taking the chance anyway.

Quick Reply: Battery kill switch