Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything special about rotor replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 04:08 PM
TAREK
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything special about rotor replacement?

Hello everyone, I'm a reasonably experienced (13 years) home mechanic on 928's, and a friend of mine with a Cayman asked if I could replace his brake/rotors.

Is there anything special about the rotors? Is there a large nut that requires mega torque to remove? The ones on the 928 are held by two bolts and are removed by two other screws to pull off. Is it similar on the Cayman?

I don't have his car at my place to check it out personally, but wanted to give him an answer over the phone before he makes the trip to my place.

Also, it would be great if you recommend a good source for brakes/rotors

Thanks in advance
Tarek
Old 09-18-2010, 07:10 PM
KS-CS
Racer

The rotors are pretty easy to change. The calipers are held on by 2 bolts, which are supposed to be replaced whenever you replace the rotors. Note that the original bolts required a 10mm hex key, but the new bolts take a T-55 Star (torx) bit.

I had to use a breaker bar to loosen my original bolts, but other than that it was pretty straightforward. Bolts are torqued to 63 ft-lbs. The rotors are held on by 2 small phillips head machine screws.

For best prices on OEM replacement rotors I would check with either Suncoast (east coast) or Sunset Porsche (west coast).

You might want to check out this DIY article on Planet-9 (it is for a Girodisc rotor, but same principle):
http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/caym...ed-rotors.html
Old 09-28-2010, 05:49 PM
TAREK
Three Wheelin'

I wanted to thank you very much for the response. Sorry it took me a while as I had health problems followed by computer problems.

Quick Reply: Anything special about rotor replacement?