Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chick car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

[QUOTE=Irishdriver]
Originally Posted by Edgy01
.........Things like Tiptronic, and easier weight pressure plates, and power this and that are designed with women in mind. ....................QUOTE]

do you actually believe rubbish like this ???

Actually, it was a serious issue for Porsche years ago. Clutches were very heavy and many women shied away from them because of it. This is fact. Go ask them at Zuffenhausen.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

yes
Old 04-06-2007, 01:42 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 78 Posts

would love to score a hot chick with Cayman one day.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:09 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't call any 295hp, 3000lbs, mid-engine, rwd coupe a chic car.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:27 AM
03Targa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
It's got somewhere around 98,500 miles on it right now. I keep thinking of selling it and getting a Cayman S, but I'm just not sure. I'm really sick of driving anything that requires gasoline to run, so I may wait for a fully electric car like the Tesla or something... But then again, I do like those Porsches...
Have you seen the electric powered 550's? Fast AND efficient!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A few more Automotive News data points.

The GMC Yukon has a female purchase percentage of 44%. The Jeep brand has a female purchase percentage of 39%. Compaired to 911 and Boxster/Cayman percentages that are in the 10-15% range.

Some figs just love to "hate" on Boxsters and Caymans. Not really a surprise....
Old 04-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 911 got heavier and heavier coltrols until the '89 model was such a heavy pig that it was unacceptable. Sales reflected this and were in a nose dive.

Since then Porsche have continually improved the controls as over weight controls mean that a car causes driver fatigue. This has nothing to do with the sex of the driver. Race cars have power everything for a reason.

They also added things like power steering because the g-forces were increasing, meaning that even the cave men would have problems steering without it.

I can also explain how most people are faster with tiptronic if you want...

You can buy a Morgan if you want an antique.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackness
I don't see it as that. I can understand why Boxster's get that rap, as I see a lot more women or the "casual" driver behind the wheel. But, they're both fabulous cars. I had a chance to drive a Cayman S (w/Tip) when I had the dealer install new tires. The car is so well balanced it almost drives itself.
I'll bet it was a white one.

They lent me the same car when I had new tires put on my car at Melbourne Porsche.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

I can't believe nobody has mentioned that a CS is pretty damn fast around a track...like easily as fast as a 996!
I'm fine with driving a chick car as I get a passing signal from ya!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:39 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Very interesting......on paper the Cayman looks really sweet.....stiffer structure vs the boxster & pretty light too......I like the looks of the Boxster......but something about the Cayman I just don't like....it reminds me too much of the Audi TT or VW beetle....both of which I consider a "chick" car.....
Old 04-10-2007, 05:42 AM
Iggypop
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Very interesting......on paper the Cayman looks really sweet.....stiffer structure vs the boxster & pretty light too......I like the looks of the Boxster......but something about the Cayman I just don't like....it reminds me too much of the Audi TT or VW beetle....both of which I consider a "chick" car.....

Im the opposite, can't stand the boxster but I like the cayman. Agree with you on the TT and beetle though.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Colin Emerson
Instructor

I love the Cayman, really considering treating myself to one. I saw a show awhile back and it said that the 1965 Mustang was a car built for women.....how do you like that? The pony car was designed for women purposefully by Ford, I don't see many women driving them around, but back in the day they were a big hit with the ladies.

Not knocking either car, the only guys that call a boxster/cayman a chick car is the guys who either have no knowledge of what a real sports car is or they can't afford one. These are usually the same guys who drive the 5.0 Fords,.......am I right?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:47 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Colin Emerson
I love the Cayman, really considering treating myself to one. I saw a show awhile back and it said that the 1965 Mustang was a car built for women.....how do you like that? The pony car was designed for women purposefully by Ford, I don't see many women driving them around, but back in the day they were a big hit with the ladies.

Not knocking either car, the only guys that call a boxster/cayman a chick car is the guys who either have no knowledge of what a real sports car is or they can't afford one. These are usually the same guys who drive the 5.0 Fords,.......am I right?
Whenever I see the argument that "anyone knocking the car probably can't afford it," it makes me laugh. It proves that a) you think it is an expensive car (which it's really not) and b) you think you're special because you can afford it. And therefore you perpetuate the (probably accurate) stereotype that most Porsche owners are elitist snobs.

by the way, women "treat themselves" to pedicures - I guess you're perpetuating two stereotypes
Old 04-10-2007, 11:44 PM
black986S
Intermediate

Hey BGLeduc I googled her, and I would definitely buy her a new Cayman S. No questions asked.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:53 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that the drop top is what made the boxster a "chick" car in most peoples' book but if you trick them out with the right wheels, suspension, and other performance parts they look and seem anything but a chick car. Same goes with the cayman in my mind only because I view it as a boxster with a hard top. If it weren't for its predecessor the boxster I don't think the thought "chick" car would ever have crossed my mind with a Cayman. I'm not a huge fan of some aspects of the styling of the Cayman or the Boxster for that matter but there is no refuting the superior layout and balance of either car next to the 911's. Anyone who really cares that much about what other people think of their car probably bought their porsche for the wrong reason. Bone stock boxsters and caymans look less aggressive than new 997's, thats a fact. Maybe that is the reason people think the way they do. Throw a TT motor in either a boxster or cayman and people would sing a different tune....even though everyone knows 911's are far better looking cars!

Quick Reply: Chick car?