Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chick car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:35 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimG
My wife does not like the Cayman back end, I think it is the best part of the car looks wise.

maybe she feels threatened by the curvaceous boo-tay
Old 03-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

"Instead of saying it a 'chic car' I would like to say that the Cayman is a car for everyone, not just limited to men."

Ah politcal correctness from san fran.....where would we be without the PC crowd.... good lord!!!!!!!!

JERRY
Old 04-01-2007, 10:20 PM
zedd06
AutoX

The CS is no chick car. I rarely see them on the road in NE. Always men.

The boxster is the car that is more likely to be driven by a women.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not here in Los Angeles. More than half of all Caymans I see are driven by women. We probably have more female Porsche owners here than anywhere else in the world. That includes Carreras too.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:23 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
Probably 85% b/c your definition of the term "men" is being used very liberaly (pun intended )
hahaha
Old 04-02-2007, 03:44 AM
wushuhsu
Intermediate

Haven't you heard the stereotype about Porsches and men compensating? That's probably why there are more "men" who drive Porsches.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:19 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Doesn't really matter anyway... you bought the car to enjoy driving, not to worry about whom else is driving it. Even if it is a gay boxster. haha jk.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
Well I think that attempt to label the Cayman failed....

Here in Germany many consider the car too "sporting" meanind too hard suspension and too sharp responding for everyday use. This is not going to get it a "chick" car label.

However, that said, Caymen (or shoudl it be Caymans) are outselling Boxsters in several European countries. So someone likes them.

The European weather is driving Boxster drivers to the Cayman.

Porsche has been working very hard over the years to reduce the gender bias of Porsches as a whole. Things like Tiptronic, and easier weight pressure plates, and power this and that are designed with women in mind. Porsche has come a long way. Just the fact that there is a thread "Chick Car" is a big change for Porsche.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:14 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Porsche has been working very hard over the years to reduce the gender bias of Porsches as a whole. Things like Tiptronic, and easier weight pressure plates, and power this and that are designed with women in mind. Porsche has come a long way. Just the fact that there is a thread "Chick Car" is a big change for Porsche.
You say this as if it's a positive development?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:33 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Interesting observation....

One thing I do not like about my CS is the feeling of the clutch pedal. When I first test drove a CS, I could not smoothly enage the clutch. The pedal feel is just way to light.

As a point of comparison, I also have a '90 C2, and the clutch pedal feels very stiff compared to the CS, but there is great feel for when the clutch engages. After that first test drive, I thought that the C2 would feel like a tractor in comparison, but in fact, it just felt "right".

I have not driven a 996 or 997, but IMHO the CS feels more like a ccontemporary Japanese car in terms of clutch pedal action and feel....and I do not consider that a positive at all.

Brian
Old 04-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
According to Automotive News over 85% of Boxsters are purchased by men. If memory serves, the 911 percentage is around 89% men.

The "girl car" myth is perpetuated by owners of more powerful cars that have been passed by Boxsters at the track...
An excerpt from Panorama, IIRC:

According to Bob Carlson, Porsche media manager, women account for only 14 percent of Carrera buyers ….…….. the most popular Porsche models among women buyers are the family-friendly Cayenne SUV and the affordably priced Boxster, for whom females comprise 34 percent and 22 percent of buyers, respectively.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:29 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin H. in Atl..
An excerpt from Panorama, IIRC:

According to Bob Carlson, Porsche media manager, women account for only 14 percent of Carrera buyers ….…….. the most popular Porsche models among women buyers are the family-friendly Cayenne SUV and the affordably priced Boxster, for whom females comprise 34 percent and 22 percent of buyers, respectively.
I read an article recently about what women look for when buying a car. High on the list was safety, fuel economy, comfort, utility, and affordability. At the bottom of the list was performance. If the article is on target, no Porsche would be high on the list of cars considered by most women.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I read an article recently about what women look for when buying a car. High on the list was safety, fuel economy, comfort, utility, and affordability. At the bottom of the list was performance. If the article is on target, no Porsche would be high on the list of cars considered by most women.
Porsche obviously is not high on the list of cars bought by most men either.

However, the Boxster is apparently the most preferred model of Porsche's female buyers.
And this is probably due to the very characteristics you mention, as the Boxster/Cayman, in respect to Porsche's other models, could be considered to have the best fuel economy, comfort, utility, and affordability.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Edgy01].........Things like Tiptronic, and easier weight pressure plates, and power this and that are designed with women in mind. ....................QUOTE]

do you actually believe rubbish like this ???
Old 04-05-2007, 06:34 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Hasn't the Boxster been described as a "Porsche with panties"? This may also apply to it's coupe cousin.

Quick Reply: Chick car?