Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow, just test drove the Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:43 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Wow, just test drove the Cayman S

Since Porsche Dealers are offering significant discounts on their '06 Cayman Ss, I decided to test drive one today. Now I know what you guys have been talking about for the past year or so. I've driven many sports cars over the past 30 years but nothing compares to the CS in terms of responsiveness and handling. It's a trite expression, but the CS literally handles like its on rails. Also, the Cayman provides far from a harsh ride which is remarkable considering how well it corners. Another thing I noticed is that once you point this car in a particular direction, it stays true to that direction without any corrections required by the driver. I accelerated from 30 to 70 on a straightaway with my hands off the steering wheel, and the CS drove straight down the road. By comparison last Saturday I test drove the Z4 M roadster, and it seemed like I always had to make tiny steering wheel inputs to keep it pointed straight.

So anyway congratulations to those who own a Cayman. It's one awesome car.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:46 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got an 06 at 6k below invoice, but it has been sitting in the garage for a week as I am recovering from a broken ankle...

drove it for the first time today adn had a blast (apart from keeping it below 4k rpm...)

much more fun than my old 996....
Old 01-09-2007, 09:30 PM
searching4996
Racer

Originally Posted by fast1
Since Porsche Dealers are offering significant discounts on their '06 Cayman Ss, I decided to test drive one today. Now I know what you guys have been talking about for the past year or so. I've driven many sports cars over the past 30 years but nothing compares to the CS in terms of responsiveness and handling. It's a trite expression, but the CS literally handles like its on rails. Also, the Cayman provides far from a harsh ride which is remarkable considering how well it corners. Another thing I noticed is that once you point this car in a particular direction, it stays true to that direction without any corrections required by the driver. I accelerated from 30 to 70 on a straightaway with my hands off the steering wheel, and the CS drove straight down the road. By comparison last Saturday I test drove the Z4 M roadster, and it seemed like I always had to make tiny steering wheel inputs to keep it pointed straight.

So anyway congratulations to those who own a Cayman. It's one awesome car.
Thanks for the writeup! I definitely want one of these in a few years.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 AM
fast1
Race Car

I just got an 06 at 6k below invoice, but it has been sitting in the garage for a week as I am recovering from a broken ankle

How did you get such a terrific deal? Are there any kind of incentives that Porscche is offering? The invoice for the moderatley equipped CS that I test drove was $56K. Getting that car for $50K would be a steal IMO.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

By comparison last Saturday I test drove the Z4 M roadster, and it seemed like I always had to make tiny steering wheel inputs to keep it pointed straight.

Apparently some people prefer that. Not me. Every post like this is fuel on my fire.

Fast1, what size wheels were on your test drive car?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:38 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

I just got an 06 at 6k below invoice, but it has been sitting in the garage for a week as I am recovering from a broken ankle

How did you get such a terrific deal? Are there any kind of incentives that Porscche is offering? The invoice for the moderatley equipped CS that I test drove was $56K. Getting that car for $50K would be a steal IMO.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/320525-my06-997s-for-10k-below-invoice.html

I got the cayman, it has the preferred package with power heated seats/ litronics/sport chrono/bose

Only thing I would change is the wheels....

I had about 5 minutes to make up my mind before giving my credit card number for the deposit...
Old 01-10-2007, 08:56 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320525

I got the cayman, it has the preferred package with power heated seats/ litronics/sport chrono/bose

Only thing I would change is the wheels....

I had about 5 minutes to make up my mind before giving my credit card number for the deposit...
Thanks. I forgot about that offer.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:03 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by JEC_31
Apparently some people prefer that. Not me. Every post like this is fuel on my fire.

Fast1, what size wheels were on your test drive car?
It just had the 18" wheels that I believe are standard. Over the years I've owned three 911 iterations, the last being a 993, but nothing prepared me for the handling of the CS. It's probably the mid-engine coupled with the light weight of the car, and of course the magic that Porsche does with its suspension geometry that provides the fantastic ride. I've driven many cars that could handle extremely well, but weren't at all comfortable. Never have I ever driven a car that provided that level of handling with such a relatively plush ride by sports car standards. Man, I don' tknow how any car enthusiast can resist the CS.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:07 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

It just had the 18" wheels that I believe are standard. Over the years I've owned three 911 iterations, the last being a 993, but nothing prepared me for the handling of the CS. It's probably the mid-engine coupled with the light weight of the car, and of course the magic that Porsche does with its suspension geometry that provides the fantastic ride. I've driven many cars that could handle extremely well, but weren't at all comfortable. Never have I ever driven a car that provided that level of handling with such a relatively plush ride by sports car standards. Man, I don' tknow how any car enthusiast can resist the CS.
I had read elsewhere that the 18s are the "correct" wheel for preserving streetability while giving up nothing on the excellent handling. I know Mooty and others run them for the increased tire choices too.

Thanks for the review, I have got to get one of these cars eventually.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:20 PM
csudhoff
Track Day

sweet little car, i know alot of dealers were marking them down trying to move the S, i worked for a dealer here in Ohio back in the summer and when the cayman base was released, PNA was kinda freaking out since there were still so many S models still on the ground here that were not selling. Not sure if that is still the case but sweet ride non the less, its just to easy to end up purchasing a 911 once you get into options on the cayman.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

its just to easy to end up purchasing a 911 once you get into options on the cayman

This will be blasphemy to many on this forum, but I prefer the handling of the CS to the 911. Although the 996/997 is a couple of tenths faster than the CS in the 0/60, I was surprised by how quick the car is. The CS winds through the first and second gears extremely fast. I drove one with the short shifter and it was an absolute ball to drive.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:49 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by csudhoff
its just to easy to end up purchasing a 911 once you get into options on the cayman.

i was considering a 996 turbo or cayman 's', in the end i traded my 996 for a cayman

definitely more of a sportscar than the turbo, only thing i am getting used to is the e-gas, although sport chrono sport setting makes things a bit better
Old 01-12-2007, 06:54 AM
fast1
Race Car

Boxster Artic Silver/Black - gone but not forgotten

How does your CS compare to your old Boxster? The reason that I ask is that even though both cars look alike, I found the handling of both cars to be much different. As a matter of fact I found that to be quite surprising since almost eveyone says that the CS is nothing more than a Boxster with a hardtop.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:31 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by csudhoff
sweet little car, i know alot of dealers were marking them down trying to move the S, i worked for a dealer here in Ohio back in the summer and when the cayman base was released, PNA was kinda freaking out since there were still so many S models still on the ground here that were not selling. Not sure if that is still the case but sweet ride non the less, its just to easy to end up purchasing a 911 once you get into options on the cayman.
You are correct about moving them. I bought mine one year ago and have 10,700 miles on it. My purchase price was $61.5k on a $63.5k MSRP. Now that same car is selling new for about $55-56K. I found this out the hard way as I am looking to purchase an '02 996tt and the offers I have received via trade on my CaymanS (the one in my avatar) are in the mid to upper $40's. I have it for sale on cars.com and if I really feel like I need to sell it (which I don't) I will get much less for it than I thought I would initially.

What this tells me is the car is overpriced. How often do you see Porsche selling cars at or below invoice?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Boxster Artic Silver/Black - gone but not forgotten

How does your CS compare to your old Boxster? The reason that I ask is that even though both cars look alike, I found the handling of both cars to be much different. As a matter of fact I found that to be quite surprising since almost eveyone says that the CS is nothing more than a Boxster with a hardtop.

my boxster was a '97 2.5 liter - one of the first in the UK

it felf lighter

not as powerful

less stiff

plastiky interior

Quick Reply: Wow, just test drove the Cayman S