Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a ride in a Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a ride in a Cayman S

On sunday november 20th the local Porsche Festival was held in Buenos Aires circuit.
Since I won my class (924/944) I got to do (as a passenger ) a lap in a Cayman S driven by a Porsche instructor .
The car is beautiful, but I was focused in the driving
Old 11-29-2005, 03:12 AM
Wes Zane
AutoX

So how did the Cayman perform?? Thoughts?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car performed very neatly, it felt nimble and quick, also it looked small next to a 997C4S.
My dream is to buy an used Cayman in about 5 years
Old 12-14-2005, 08:29 PM
TargaGP
AutoX

I test drove a Cayman S on Tues; on all points (looks, handling, comfort, acceleration, brakes) it is superb and the experience left me buzzing for the rest of the day. I guess price and performance-wise it's aimed at those who want a coupe driver's car but can't quite stretch to a 911. If my circumstances were different I would buy one in a heartbeat: at the mo i need my Targa's extra seats. Plus of course the 911 is an icon; Cayman might be one in a few years. Porsche have done it again!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:10 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I borrowed a Cayman from the local OPC.
It was great fun but it was not as rewarding as it should have been.It has no LSD
and was spinning away power on slippery corners.
If Porsche ever give this car the artillery it will blow away most of the opposition out there,
including the 911.
So it will probably never happen.
Shane
Old 12-27-2005, 03:06 AM
Sobe
Pro

who is going to pay 60K+ for this car I do not see any buyers , and why are they not letting people drive the car ... it sits in the US showrooms and they will not let you test drive it .
Old 12-27-2005, 03:10 AM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many and waiting for Launch Date.

tino
Old 12-27-2005, 03:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

sobe, i think the cars at dealer are owned by pcna not dealers. and i was told they were put in "limp" mode. however, official USA launch day is 1/15. i will be testing one that day.

i am intrigue by this car. i am sure someone will be crazy enough to drop in a GT3 motor or a 3.8L in there with guard LSD and regear'd box. i wonder how that will stack up with GT3.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:30 PM
LastGT3
Racer

I am tempted to go down the same "what if" scenarios re different possibilities of engines in the stock Cayman S package. But, after a lot of thouight , and since I have a GT3, I would only be interested in OEM and unmodified. But, think, if ultimate camparos of modifications to a Cayman are allowed, how about a tt 996 motor in the cayman, how about the 3.8 997 engine in a Cayman, and how about a supercharged Cayman - the efeect in a long track course wouldme noticible to an average hack (accel & top speed). Of course, dependding on the type and number of turns, this becomes far less importnat between good and average drivers.
Also, anything could be faster, but at what price and is there a justifiiable OEM market - I think there is, but if we think a GT3 motor ($50K) in cayman will not be a method to get more margin for PAG, I think we would fooling ourselves. It will not be cheap...Ie if you start at $60USD for a Base Cayman S, I think you will be in 2008-2009 about $110USD for the car we describe.

I think all cars are quick in one performance class once the driver is up to the task of using the tool. It would not be surprising to see a driver A, who can trully drive a GT3 with GT3 conviction and confidence drive a CaymanS and lap a guy with GT3 who is a Driver A-, (ie very good but not as good)--so for me , a GT3 block in the Cayman is nice, but does not have the same "wow" factor as a GT3 or the true Porsche WOW car, a Carrerra GT, which is non-compromise.

FYI - I speak from careful thought as I am in line for CaymanS for Jan.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:19 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LastGT3
I am tempted to go down the same "what if" scenarios re different possibilities of engines in the stock Cayman S package. But, after a lot of thouight , and since I have a GT3, I would only be interested in OEM and unmodified. But, think, if ultimate camparos of modifications to a Cayman are allowed, how about a tt 996 motor in the cayman, how about the 3.8 997 engine in a Cayman, and how about a supercharged Cayman - the efeect in a long track course wouldme noticible to an average hack (accel & top speed). Of course, dependding on the type and number of turns, this becomes far less importnat between good and average drivers.
Also, anything could be faster, but at what price and is there a justifiiable OEM market - I think there is, but if we think a GT3 motor ($50K) in cayman will not be a method to get more margin for PAG, I think we would fooling ourselves. It will not be cheap...Ie if you start at $60USD for a Base Cayman S, I think you will be in 2008-2009 about $110USD for the car we describe.

I think all cars are quick in one performance class once the driver is up to the task of using the tool. It would not be surprising to see a driver A, who can trully drive a GT3 with GT3 conviction and confidence drive a CaymanS and lap a guy with GT3 who is a Driver A-, (ie very good but not as good)--so for me , a GT3 block in the Cayman is nice, but does not have the same "wow" factor as a GT3 or the true Porsche WOW car, a Carrerra GT, which is non-compromise.

FYI - I speak from careful thought as I am in line for CaymanS for Jan.
anyone who tracks a GT3 and is hoping to buy a cayman S and track it will be very very disappointed. ( unless they want to go slower) my 997S isnt as fast as my GT3 ( obviously) so a cayman s no matter how nice the mid engine handling will be , will suck on track,( compared to a GT3)
and for all you people gaga over it ,ITS A BOXSTER WITH A ROOF AND A LITTLE MORE HP!!! why is everyone acting like porsche just invented the frickin wheel
Old 12-29-2005, 01:11 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
anyone who tracks a GT3 and is hoping to buy a cayman S and track it will be very very disappointed. ( unless they want to go slower) my 997S isnt as fast as my GT3 ( obviously) so a cayman s no matter how nice the mid engine handling will be , will suck on track,( compared to a GT3)
and for all you people gaga over it ,ITS A BOXSTER WITH A ROOF AND A LITTLE MORE HP!!! why is everyone acting like porsche just invented the frickin wheel
You really shouldn't feel the need to justify your purchasing decisions nor to denigrate those of others. However, if it helps you sleep better back in "jackass central," your otherwise meaningless post will have served a purpose.

Oh, btw, I don't think the Cayman S is targeted at GT3 (or 997S) buyers, but perhaps you didn't get the memo.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:00 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
i am intrigue by this car. i am sure someone will be crazy enough to drop in a GT3 motor or a 3.8L in there with guard LSD and regear'd box. i wonder how that will stack up with GT3.
Considering that Ruf is already putting 3.8L motors into 987s, I think the Cayman is a given: http://www.rufautocenter.com/conversions/Boxster.asp I would imagine the trannies are the same as well. I think it's only a matter of time before you see these types of Caymen (?) running around. I honestly can't imagine more than $5K difference in the cost of the motors (non-GT3/M64). I just wish Porsche would offer it from the factory, but I know I'm dreaming...
Old 12-29-2005, 06:52 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
ITS A BOXSTER WITH A ROOF AND A LITTLE MORE HP!!! why is everyone acting like porsche just invented the frickin wheel
First, to quote Porsche, the engine is "in the right place: at the center of the car." Second, the Boxster has been winning awards, comparison tests, and is considered by many to be the finest handling car available. Finally, a fixed roof and a little more power make the Boxster a more focused and better driving car. That's about all I need to get gaga over it. By the way, if you are looking for a fast track car you should have bought a C6 Corvette in regular or Z06 variety. They both cost a lot less than your 997S and are faster. I can just imagine all the guys on the Corvette board laughing at you for wasting all that money on a car that, in your words "will suck on a track".

Alan
Old 12-29-2005, 12:29 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

With the Cayman S stickering lightly optioned your looking at 70k. Why not an elise or exige? Regards. Mike
Old 12-29-2005, 01:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

mike,

exige is impossible to get right now. unless things change, only 300-400 are coming to usa, each with markup i am sure.

lotus does handle well, but if you look at wt distribution, they are really rear hvy almost to the point of 911's.

i had one, i loved it. but you got to be hardcore to really own one long term. for lack of better description, porsches are cars, elise is a toy. i am not saying one is better than the other, i would have both if i dump my wife. but that's the best way to describe them, porsches are fun cars, elise is a toy.

Quick Reply: I got a ride in a Cayman S