Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The real mission of the cayman....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 06:08 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The real mission of the cayman....

Is to bring new customers to the Porsche Brand. Porsche has stated it in its discussions of the cayman S. That its performance does not have tomatch the 911 or does not exceed stems from the progression from cayman to 911.

Think about it. We are all already Porsche people. No need to win us over. Another Porsche model- interesting to us - but not likely to move so many more units. Instead, lure the buyers from MB and BMW and Nissan.

I saw it today and I'll say it ( and I have a deposit a Cayman RS/CS whatever)- the other people were looking at the cayman for their wives, girlfriends and the guys looking at it were younger and drove up in MB C series, BMW 3 series and the like.

NOT MEANT AS A SLIGHT in any way, just a description and explanantion. I will like to drive the thing. Dealer will call as soon as I can. Heck, they alreadyhave my deposit - ifits any good, I buy one as a DD until the CS comes in. Also note, they have many allocations that "they could convert" in other words ordered but not sold.

So the buzz is on, will it sell cars? We'll see. But it seemed like to me, they were "non- or should I say new" porsche people coming in.

Oh yeah, when will the cayman turbo come out? When the 997 ( read short lived production run) goes away and the 998 gets the ( heretics ahead) eight from the Cayenne. Then the Cayman platfromlives up to its potential without threatening the (then new) 911 series. I smell upshift to compete with the M3, the Bentley, the AM and the Dino ( new baby Ferrrari).

Any thoughts, just my opinion.

Scott
Old 11-26-2005, 06:30 PM
willr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottS
Oh yeah, when will the cayman turbo come out? When the 997 ( read short lived production run) goes away and the 998 gets the ( heretics ahead) eight from the Cayenne. Then the Cayman platfromlives up to its potential without threatening the (then new) 911 series.
Scott
Since dealers are already quoting 2008 delivery for new 997turbo orders, I doubt that the 997 will be very short-lived...
Old 11-27-2005, 01:03 AM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 723 Likes on 400 Posts

25 more HP and the DSG on the Cayman will really solidify the package. saw the car today at the dealer in Basalt Black with 19" Carerra classic wheels - very nice.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:24 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

While i dont agree at all with the introduction of the caymen, I can see some of the entry leval MB and BMW cutomers being real interested in this kind of car. I dont think they will make a Cayman turbo. And for you guys with caymens on order why wouldnt you just buy a 911 if your going to spend 73 K (CND) why not spend 100 K and get the real deal??
Old 11-27-2005, 07:42 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by kilrgt
And for you guys with caymens on order why wouldnt you just buy a 911 if your going to spend 73 K (CND) why not spend 100 K and get the real deal??
Like Dr. Porsche and car #1, I think the engine belongs in the middle of a sports car. While I like the Carrera, I prefer driving the Boxster S when pushing the car hard and can only assume from all the reviews that my Cayman S will be better still. For many of us, money isn't an issue and there are a surprising number of 911 owners buying Caymans (they can be found at Caymanclub.net). We don't consider the 911 to be the "real deal"; we just consider it to be another excellent alternative. What do you tell an Aston Martin owner who asks why you didn't spend the extra $30,000 (US) to buy a V8 Vantage and get the real deal?

I owned a BMW 740iL but prefer the 3 Series because it is simply more fun to drive. I don't really care what other people think.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
Like Dr. Porsche and car #1, I think the engine belongs in the middle of a sports car. I don't really care what other people think.
This reminds me of something written in a recent Excellence article about the Cayman. The writer said something like, "Enthusiasts who choose the Cayman over a 911 will be making a statement."

This is especially true since the price isn't much different.

The mid-engined Cayman offers the more sporting platform. If you don't need rear seats . . .
Old 11-27-2005, 06:19 PM
FamilyCar
Instructor

Getting back to Scott's point about the mission of the Cayman...

Agreed, the Cayman should be particularly appealing to the market segment Scott describes. Nothing wrong with expanding the Porsche market. I remember buying an Audi TT in 01 more for it's look and the feel of the cabin, and also because I wanted a coupe for a daily driver. Today, if I were in the market for the same kind of car, I'd buy the Cayman. It's beautiful inside and out IMO. I love the way the body has hints of 904 in it. And unless Walter Rohrl is lying, or somebody is lying about Ring times, it's going to have a sporting character my Audi TT could never have. It'd be perfect as a GT daily driver. Lots of people should love this car.

My disappointment is that Porsche positioned the Cayman ONLY for the market described by Scott. If one wants something lean, something pure and uncomprimising, one would have to buy a GT3. Or, if one can't afford a GT3, one buys a used 911, or used NSX, or Elise, or ...sorry... Evo, STi or C6 Z06. Seems to me, that there's a younger, enthusiast/tuner marketand an increasing number of cars that cater to that market. Porsche has nothing remotely affordable and appealing to that market. A raw kick *** Cayman would appeal to that market; the current Cayman S doesn't so much. Porsche might have much to gain by building cars with the same directness and focus as the GT3, but at different price points. C'mon Porsche build something the Elise driver or Evo driver can lust for. The Cayman configured lean, simple, and focused would be the perfect platform to attack that market.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:20 PM
aterpins
AutoX

Hey Guys...Did the EVO come before the Lancer??? Wait and see.....
Old 11-28-2005, 06:04 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kilrgt
And for you guys with caymens on order why wouldnt you just buy a 911 if your going to spend 73 K (CND) why not spend 100 K and get the real deal??
I prefer my sportscars with the engine in the middle. Thank you.
Seriously, the 911 is a fine car but the drving techniqque required to make it go the fastest posible is suboptimal for me, and not as much fun.

However, I've been struggling with the fact that the Cayman doesn't have the power it should or it can take, and pricing wise if you spec one up to be a proper street car (i already have a track car but will ocasionally take the Cayman to the track) with SatNav, heated seats, leather et all, the price difference with the 997 shrinks fast.

In fact, a 997 C4S with some $ taken off MSRP would make a really nice "Winter" car! + 2 rear seats for the kids!

ahhhhgggg, decisions, decisions....

Buying the Cayman is not such a slam dunk decision as I thought it would (Also the spinning inside rear tire in the Stig video doesn't help at all!)

Last edited by cgomez; 11-29-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:12 AM
928Buyer
Advanced

cgomez I watched the outtakes from the stig video and the inside rear wheel spun because there was pooled water on that portion of the track and it was particularly slippery there. You can see this clearly from the higher camera angle they didn't use for the final footage. I think the Cayman Club website has the outtake video.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how many Porsche guys also have Elises and are curious as hell about what the Cayman will do? As for me, I'm considering letting go of my 1996 C4S daily driver and buying a 997 C4S, or maybe a 997 GT3, or maybe a cayman, or...
Old 11-30-2005, 09:07 PM
CarsRGood
Advanced

Ditto above thoughts. I chose a Boxster S over the 997 cab not for price but because I like the way the car looks and drives. I've always been a fan of that vintage 550 profile and the Boxster does it for me. Cayman is a fresh new look for Porsche and will provide a new tasty and different way to savor the Porsche experience. I suppose there will be guys who buy a Cayman because they can't afford a 997 but honestly if that's the truth they probably shouldn't be spending the money on the Cayman either.

If you want the extra seats, by all means find a way to get a 997 or nice pre-owned 996.

Quick Reply: The real mission of the cayman....