Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lotsa Luggage Room

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:10 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

I would hope there will be an OEM or aftermkt vertical " net " that could keep smaller items back there from bashing your center console or flying through your windshield in a panic stop! All I see is the small floor net in the front of the load space.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:15 AM
Rennphile
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
They've sold an awful lot of Cayennes, and not for the gas mileage.

The hatchback was a selling point for the 944, too. (Alas, they never told anyone about the inevitable leaks & squeaks!) I hope the Cayman hatchback is a better design.
I was thinking the same thing. I think the extra functionality is a unique selling point, but I only hope Porsche has found a way to prevent that large hatch from rattling/creaking.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:40 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche 951 luggage space:

Hatch = four 245 series R compound track wheels, tools, cleaning supplies, oil, helmet, and clothes tucked into the nooks and crannies.

Passenger seat = hydraulic jack, tool chest, cooler.

...space can be a good thing, even in a Porsche

cheers.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:18 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

It is nice to be able to fit a step ladder, several long garden hoses, several really long extension cords, lots of tools, parts, buckets and supplies, into my vehicle, currently a MB C320 Sports Coupe, when prepping the boat to go into or out of the water. That way I don't have to wrestle the Cayenne from the wife.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennphile
...but I only hope Porsche has found a way to prevent that large hatch from rattling/creaking.
I have to imagine, being completely framed in metal (as opposed to the all glass 944 hatch) it will be a very solid, tight fit. Not to mention the amount of body structure around the hatch.

Porsche says the overall structural rigidity of this car is better than the new 997, so I imagine there won't be any problems in that area!

Old 05-25-2005, 12:22 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

As I recall - my 944 Turbo had a hatch cover ( it was almost 20years ago ) to hide things .But that car was front engined so the rear compartment was flat and deeper . Doesn't look like this will be the case on the Cayman from studying the way it's hatch area is designed around the motor back there -a clipped on fabric black out drape would have to hug the slope of the rear glass to be most useful , effectively blocking all rear vision and if it were horizontal, hardly anything would fit under it . Theives will love peering into Caymans, then.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

It looks like what was the "trunk" in the Boxster is still covered by the metal part of the hatch...so no privacy cover is necessary. Kinda hard to put another cover on the parcel shelf that doesn't interfere with rearward vision.

Still, a net in the "trunk" is a good idea.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Exterior "pics" for discussion...
Attached Images    
Old 05-25-2005, 04:54 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Seems simple enough to take a piece of particle board, cover with generic black fabric so that if you have something stored in that deeper rear section , you just prop it vertically to keep out prying eyes looking between the seat backs .
Old 06-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

These recent pics are very telling...

http://www.alle-autos-in.de/porsche/...s_f10067.shtml
Attached Images   
Old 07-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Steve Rea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a girlfriend who loves to pack extra outfits on weekend trips, as she of course needs some choices when faced with deciding on each evening's attire, I would appreciate the extra trunk space. Not all ladies can pack a simple duffle bag for a 2 day trip...there's the shoes for each outfit, the handbags etc...not to mention the toiletries and cosmetics...and this is for a lovely lady who's not even high maintenance.

Yep, for street use, I'll use the extra space, and realistically speaking, Porsche's market is for street drivers, not track-a-holics. If they had more "drivers" as customers, they'd be following the lead of the Lotus Elises' spartan, LIGHT-WEIGHT, design.

Anxious to drive one!

s

Quick Reply: Lotsa Luggage Room