Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:05 PM
ljd-924SE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am also crossing fingers for a GT or CS version with the bulletproof, dry-sump M64 block GT3 engine.

such a car would change, well, everything. hell, the muscle car era started with pontiac dropping a bigger engine into a smaller chassis to produce the GTO. i'm not saying this would be of the same magnitude, however, porsche could easily make this happen if it weren't for their precious model hierarchy.

and if they never build it, i'll have to find a cheap 986S and 996GT3 powertrain and do it myself.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:25 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sean
I have to say this is the first time I've heard people demanding LESS power from a Porsche!
As for the Cayman, this has tremendous potential. I just hope Porsche fully exploits the platform. A dry sump-equipped "Cayman GT" would be an amazing driver's car. Imagine 3.8L in a lightweight mid-engined coupe!
Agree. If I could have bought my Boxster S with a 3.6L (or 3.8L), I would have. A Cayman that is structurally stiffer and lighter than a Boxster with a GT3-level engine would turn my crank.

If Porsche's plan was to get first-time P-car (Boxster) buyers to later "upgrade" to a 911, it didn't work for me. I don't consider a 911 an "upgrade" but rather a "sidegrade". Probably the only P-car in my upgrade path would be a 911 GT3, and I have doubts about that since it's rear-engined. I just love the mid-engine layout too much. The TT is too "luxurious" (heavy) shall we say, and of course, the Carerra GT is just a showpiece of technology not for mere mortals.

So, I say bring on a Cayman with a big motor and price it with a 911 if you have to, but such a car would really be untouchable. I think Porsche would have been better off to call the 997 a 911R and the Cayman a 911M for rear- and mid-engines. Then, they would be free to put big engines in both cars--the tradeoff being a mid-engine for 2 more seats. Then, they could have come out with a cheaper Boxster Coupe like everyone expected.

Water under the bridge, of course...
Old 03-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arenared
I think Porsche would have been better off to call the 997 a 911R and the Cayman a 911M for rear- and mid-engines. Then, they would be free to put big engines in both cars--the tradeoff being a mid-engine for 2 more seats. Then, they could have come out with a cheaper Boxster Coupe like everyone expected.
I like the way you think!
Old 03-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Technically, Porsche DID put out a mid-engined 911...the 911 GT1 (and Le Mans winning 911 GT1/98). Wonder if THAT was a sign of things to come?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:59 PM
CharlesV
Intermediate

I'm looking forward to test driving one, that's for sure! Though if it's priced 7-8k BASE over a BASE Boxster S, I don't see it as something I'd be interested in. I paid about 62k for my 50th of the 550 ed. Boxster S that was loaded to the teeth, including hardtop. I couldn't see myself paying that much money for a Boxster S with an engine upgrade, a hardtop, and no options. I understand why Porsche made it more expensive, it has more performance. But in my opinion, this is a car that should be priced in line with the Boxster S, at most. If I like what I see after a test drive, I'll be waiting a few years to pick one up at a big discount to use as a track car.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:26 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Yeah im having a bit of a hard time with the price too. I mean when i was thinking it was 39K it was a lot more attractive. I mean It better be a HECK of alot better than a Boxster. At this point i dont see how it can be that much different than a boxster S. If it turns out to be a Simply a "boxster coupe" for the most part, I dont see how they will sell many if it cost MORE!
Old 03-04-2005, 03:34 AM
Curt911
Pro

I think, since all we have, confirmed from Porsche, is the name, Cayman, is why everyone is so focused on whether its a good or bad name. Lets see the car and the price point it finally comes in at before we speculate too far... If the car is right and the price is fair I think everyone will forget about the name's short comings...if it is not, then history will be written with it being the Porsche, that like it's name, bites!!!
Old 03-05-2005, 06:43 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm a previous Boxster owner and now own a 997 and I definitely don't consider the 997 a "sidegrade" arenared put it. My 911 outshines the Boxster in every performance category for me.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:23 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by arenared
Agree. If I could have bought my Boxster S with a 3.6L (or 3.8L), I would have. A Cayman that is structurally stiffer and lighter than a Boxster with a GT3-level engine would turn my crank.

If Porsche's plan was to get first-time P-car (Boxster) buyers to later "upgrade" to a 911, it didn't work for me. I don't consider a 911 an "upgrade" but rather a "sidegrade". Probably the only P-car in my upgrade path would be a 911 GT3, and I have doubts about that since it's rear-engined. I just love the mid-engine layout too much. The TT is too "luxurious" (heavy) shall we say, and of course, the Carerra GT is just a showpiece of technology not for mere mortals.

So, I say bring on a Cayman with a big motor and price it with a 911 if you have to, but such a car would really be untouchable. I think Porsche would have been better off to call the 997 a 911R and the Cayman a 911M for rear- and mid-engines. Then, they would be free to put big engines in both cars--the tradeoff being a mid-engine for 2 more seats. Then, they could have come out with a cheaper Boxster Coupe like everyone expected.

Water under the bridge, of course...
Couldn't agree more.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:57 AM
rwg
AutoX

All,

Check out the Autoweek article on the Cayman 3/7/05:

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101907

The mid level Cayman will have 295 hp and has already beat the Base 911 around the ring. They will bring out a S version with 305 hp. The article also says they will bring out a base version as well. Finally, they mention a lightweight clubsport version to come in 2006! It seems odd that Porsche would have 4 versions of the Cayman. They mention that "Once introduced, Porsche sources say the car may serve as the basis for an extension of Porsche motorsports activities". Why race a rear engined 911 when Porsche can race the midengined Cayman? It will be very interesting to see what happens to 911 sales when all 4 models of the Cayman are out. I would prefer a Cayman clubsport or S version to virtually all 911s except the gt3 and gt2. This will be an interesting marketing test for Porsche. The 911 could become the GT car for people who want 4 seats and the Cayman could become their ultimate sportscar. They could bring the Cayman up the performance ladder later if it sells well and give people a choice between the 911 and Cayman. Regardless of what Porsche ultimately does, the Cayman sounds fantastic.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:32 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
OMG, who at Porsche came up with that name "Cayman S"....

.... with "Cay" and "Man" and "Asssss", I can already imagine people making fun of the name already...
Porsche probably hired an outside consultant to come up with that name and paid them a ton of money. Personally I would have simply identified the car with either a number or with a letter and number.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:33 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Yeah i dont know, I think many people will not automatically think "croc" they will think some fat *** in a hammock. they should have named it after one of those old races, like the Florio or something
Old 03-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think once we drive it, we'll stop caring so much about the name and rejoice in the glory that Porsche is building a proper sports car again...
Old 03-08-2005, 12:54 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

yeah but its not to late to get a proper name
Old 03-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Officer Cartman
AutoX

Cayman forum/blog.. http://spaces.msn.com/members/caymans

I can't wait to get behind the wheel of one.. And toast a few 911s on the track.

Quick Reply: Cayman S