Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connecting rod bolt failure.... is this really a thing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 12:27 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Arrow Connecting rod bolt failure.... is this really a thing?

Looking at a nice 2007 Cayman S.

Then I happened across some talk about connecting rod bolts in these cars stretching and letting go, or resulting in spun rod bearings....

... is this for real?

I can deal with the IMS / RMS thing, but not looking to open the engine up to deal with the rotating assembly.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:19 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,081 Likes on 564 Posts

If the engine hasn't been over-revved, doesn't have a tune that has raised the rev limiter, and it's been a street car its whole life, I'm not too concerned with rod bolt failures.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:03 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
If the engine hasn't been over-revved, doesn't have a tune that has raised the rev limiter, and it's been a street car its whole life, I'm not too concerned with rod bolt failures.
Hmmm.

Having spent the better part of last night researching this specific topic, it looks like engine failures due to connecting rod bolt stretch are a well known issue with any Cayman / Boxster / 911 built prior to MY09 (the M97 engines). It doesn’t take long to look up Porsche M97 on YouTube and watch the analysis videos of engines that let go.

Yes, it seems to be a result of high RPM use... but these ARE Porsche’s we’re talking about. What good is a sports car that can’t be revved very much...?

It also seems to be regardless of any aftermarket “tuning” or whatever.

So I can buy a Cayman S, but I can’t take it to a simple track day or an AutoX and have any confidence that the engine won’t let go? That’s pretty sad, for Porsche. I might expect that of other less sport inclined brands, but not from Porsche. And I’m not talking about just driving around bouncing off the rev limiter all the time, I’m talking about normal track day / AutoX use.

Looks like the solid recommendation at this point is to look for an ‘09+.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:44 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart

Hmmm.

Having spent the better part of last night researching this specific topic, it looks like engine failures due to connecting rod bolt stretch are a well known issue with any Cayman / Boxster / 911 built prior to MY09 (the M97 engines). It doesn’t take long to look up Porsche M97 on YouTube and watch the analysis videos of engines that let go.

Yes, it seems to be a result of high RPM use... but these ARE Porsche’s we’re talking about. What good is a sports car that can’t be revved very much...?

It also seems to be regardless of any aftermarket “tuning” or whatever.

So I can buy a Cayman S, but I can’t take it to a simple track day or an AutoX and have any confidence that the engine won’t let go? That’s pretty sad, for Porsche. I might expect that of other less sport inclined brands, but not from Porsche. And I’m not talking about just driving around bouncing off the rev limiter all the time, I’m talking about normal track day / AutoX use.

Looks like the solid recommendation at this point is to look for an ‘09+.

Hmmmmm? Charles knows what he speaks. The internet has all kinds of “skies falling” info. Only the bad stuff gets posted. There are very very few M97 engines failing for anything, including IMS/RMS, bore scoring, connecting rod bolts, or anything else. Most shops never see an issue. And Porsche engines are designed and built for spirited driving but unless it is a Motorsport race engine, not bullet proof when pushed beyond the required (not recommended) redline RPM. And oil quality and frequently changed oil helps a lot. But if you can afford a 9A1 block engine (2009 & subsequent) buy one. So far they have not shown any major issues.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:59 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 995 Posts

I’ve been in these 996 forums for 2 years and don’t think I’ve ever heard of a rod bolt failure for these M96 engines. I also don’t remember this to be an issue when I had my 987.

That said, any overreved engines, no matter the make or model, can suffer from rod bolt failure. I’ve heard this on BMWs more than Porsche.

I have, however, heard of rod bearing wear due to direct injection and low RPM/high boost engines.

EDIT: I heard of GT3 engine failures, though: https://www.callasrennsport.com/File...e-Failures.pdf

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 03-25-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:56 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

That's why my buddy and I went halves on a 944S for the track. We blew the motor last season after four seasons. We got $400 for the shell. The Hawk blue pads and SS brake lines cost more. But the laughs were worth it. Cant say I would laugh if the motor on my Cayman S went on the track knowing a rebuild would cost 20-25 without a core. The Cayman is a street car. The line that a Porsche is a race car for the street is no longer applicable.
Besides an accusump what should one do to protect the motor if the car will see DEs?
Old 03-25-2019, 04:10 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
That's why my buddy and I went halves on a 944S for the track. We blew the motor last season after four seasons. We got $400 for the shell. The Hawk blue pads and SS brake lines cost more. But the laughs were worth it. Cant say I would laugh if the motor on my Cayman S went on the track knowing a rebuild would cost 20-25 without a core. The Cayman is a street car. The line that a Porsche is a race car for the street is no longer applicable.
Besides an accusump what should one do to protect the motor if the car will see DEs?
3 things I did and recommend: 3rd radiator kit, which leads into #2, install a 997 oil cooler (requires an IPD plenum for clearance), & 3, stay on streetable tires (Mich Cup 2 or Pirelli Pzero Corsa system). I also installed an oil temp gauge in the sport Chrono pod location. Change the oil after 2-3 DEs max.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:27 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I’ve been in these 996 forums for 2 years and don’t think I’ve ever heard of a rod bolt failure for these M96 engines. I also don’t remember this to be an issue when I had my 987.

That said, any overreved engines, no matter the make or model, can suffer from rod bolt failure. I’ve heard this on BMWs more than Porsche.

I have, however, heard of rod bearing wear due to direct injection and low RPM/high boost engines.

EDIT: I heard of GT3 engine failures, though: https://www.callasrennsport.com/File...e-Failures.pdf
Been following the Boxster/996 engines way more than 2 years. Rod bolt failure is very rare. Charles N. is spot on regarding his comments. Stock engine with factory "tune" and with no one having been at the engine, rod bolt failure is way way down the list of things that will take out one of these engines.

Both my 2002 Boxster and my 2003 996 Turbo saw high revs once the engine was up to full operating temperature. I never even gave a 2nd thought about rod bolt failure. (The Boxster engine had 317K miles on it, the Turbo 161K miles.)
Old 03-31-2019, 11:59 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Been following the Boxster/996 engines way more than 2 years. Rod bolt failure is very rare. Charles N. is spot on regarding his comments. Stock engine with factory "tune" and with no one having been at the engine, rod bolt failure is way way down the list of things that will take out one of these engines.

Both my 2002 Boxster and my 2003 996 Turbo saw high revs once the engine was up to full operating temperature. I never even gave a 2nd thought about rod bolt failure. (The Boxster engine had 317K miles on it, the Turbo 161K miles.)
Turbo is not a M96 engine.

Peter

Quick Reply: Connecting rod bolt failure.... is this really a thing?