Cayman S major maintainence - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Cayman S major maintainence

Old 12-12-2018, 02:07 AM
patdonahue
User

Default Cayman S major maintainence

Opinions needed; 2015 CaymanS with 5000 miles, no short trips or stop and go driving. When car is taken out it gets fully warmed up, normally it is driven about 80 miles.. It gets about 1200 miles a year total, always garaged, no snow or even driving in rain. Shortest trip is about 15 miles after washing to dry out brakes Oil changed once a year, brake flush every 2 years. What do you folks think would be a good interval to do a major?
I was thinking every 5 years, which would have about 6000 miles between major inspections. IIRC Porsche recommends every 4 years but with the way the car is driven I thought that 5 years and 6000 miles between majors might be a good way to go.
Thanks for your time.
Pat D
Old 12-12-2018, 04:10 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't think you need a "major" (whatever that is supposed to be) but continue with above and do visual inspections by a qualified tech who does your servicing. Short trips and not warming up are not good for the car as you appear to know. Just enjoy driving it!
Old 12-13-2018, 05:52 PM
RWPinNC
User

I'm a relatively new owner of an older Cayman S, but spent time looking at maintenance schedules when I bought mine. It is a 2006, bought last year with 42,000 miles. It had regular oil changes and other services, but had the 40,000 mile service at 39k and change. Recalling this service the items were new plugs (and coils in this case), serpentine belt, engine and cabin air filters, oil and filter, and brake flush. Of these items, the most time (vs. mileage) sensitive would be the brake fluid, maybe the serpentine belt (if you are going to inspect it, may as well replace it), and plugs due to sticking in plug holes rather than actual wear. I would think filters would be largely a mileage related item and could go for an extended period. Since I'm starting with a known service point, I'm doing oil at 12 mos/5k, brake fluid at 2 years and have a way to go on the other items. The one item I have not addressed is transmission/diff lube. An indy mechanic suggested taking a comprehensive look at the car and changing this at 60k.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:38 AM
patdonahue
User

Thank you both for your replies. One of my concerns would also be the steel plugs in the aluminum head. I would think a fresh serpentine belt would be good for 5K or 6 years, especially as the car is not subject to a lot of weather and garaged. I am working on a happy medium, as the dealer is a 150 mile round trip and is in another state, plus leaving the car there for a day or so, although the dealer is very good about loaners. I know there are items that are time related such as the coolant tank, they just age. I think Porsche recommends new rubber after 6-7 years no matter how much tread in on them..

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: