Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 987.2 PDK

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 05:57 PM
Opposer
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bought a 987.2 PDK

At last my dream came true - I bought a 44k km 2.9 PDK 987.2 cayman. Rennlist convinced me to save a little more and buy base model mk2, not the mk1 S model, and this was my wisest decision.

It totally rocks. Engine is very responsive and gains revs very quickly, like Ferraris from youtube. My first car with automatic - I can't outshift PDK, it always knows when to save fuel and when to downshift. Brakes are of the same size as on Cayman S, afaik.
Engine behind my back- it feels like a living creature when it awakens on a kickdowns.

The straight line performance after my BRZ is superb, especially in everyday town use.

I'm happier than ever in my life (including losing of virginity). I'm sure it's the coolest car I will ever own (i'm just a simple IT analyst, so i neither will afford ferrari nor need one).

Help me please to choose the viscousity of the engine oil - I won't use the car during winter and I plan to track it occassionally. What should I choose? Won't 0w40 be too thin? 5w40 maybe?

ps
yes, it's Moscow, Russia on the photos, i live here.

e true - i boug
Old 09-12-2018, 06:10 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Congratulations! Great color and very good combination for long term enjoyment. You can do a search on these boards for oil, but if you are not tracking it, a good 0W40 that meets Porsche spec will do fine. I'm in the southern US and will probably switch to a 5W40 at some point, but I just changed oil at 45,000 with Mobil 1 0W40. The key seems to be frequency of changes, not specifically the brand or weight. I use a 5,000 mile schedule for all of my cars; oil and filters are relatively cheap insurance, particularly if you DIY.

Best of luck with the car.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:27 PM
DreamingOfGT3
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car and color. I also bought 987.2 S with PDK this summer and I absolutely love it. I wanted to have white, yellow, red or maybe green paint, but didn't find any, so I bought grey which is a bit boring compared to yours.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Opposer
Instructor

Here's the question. During diagnostics before buy the guy from car service endoscoped the engine. He said that there was no bore scoring, but cylinders 1,3,5 had minor scratches. Then he told that any engine, even with iron sleeves, can have such scratches, it's no bore scoring and I should buy this car. Car is in great conditions. The mileage is low (27k miles) and I hope the engine won't need to be rebuilt next years, considering it's a mk2 and i've never seen any case of the bore scoring with this engine in the Internet.

Can the bore scoring occur next few years considering these scratches?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:13 PM
Opposer
Instructor

Guys could you please answer about scratches?
Old 09-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scoring and "minor" scratches are at opposite ends of a description. Additionally, add the word "scuffing" as a middle point. I doubt that there is an issue here BUT, it will ALWAYS be in the back of your mind after you buy the car. I doubt that you have a problem here but your best bet is to contact an entity in your region that does engine rebuilding and get a second opinion. If it still bothers you, pass on this vehicle.

Quick Reply: Bought a 987.2 PDK