Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering 2007 Cayman 987

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:47 PM
jacksparrow
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 2007 Cayman 987

Hello everyone,
New guy here and new to Porsche. A dealer (non Porsche) has a 2007 Cayman Base for a pretty attractive price. This would be a second (fun) car and not a daily driver. Maybe 6,000 miles a year if that. I've spoken to the local Porsche dealer about an inspection which i'll go through with if i decide on the car.
The car has 57,xxx miles on it, two owners, clean car fax. I do see that it has been serviced at non Porsche dealerships for oil changes and various other maintenance items.
Does this seem like a good buy? I'm fully aware that maintenance is expensive and I am fine with that. I've read conflicting information on the IMS issue for the 987. Maybe someone could clarify if the issue is blown out of proportion. Thanks for the help and i'm looking forward to joining you all soon.
The link to the car is below.
Porsche Cayman
Old 03-14-2018, 07:58 PM
shooter_t1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was looking to buy a 987.1 Cayman S, I asked a Porsche dealer in Houston how many Cayman's they had seen with the IMS issue and his reply was exactly "Zero"
Take that for what it's worth. Hope it helps.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:22 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

IMS is a very very rare problem with 987.1 Caymans. I don’t know anyone personally who’s had a problem nor anyone who knows of anyone personally who’s had a problem with the IMS on this generation of Cayman.
If the ‘07 you’re looking at hasn’t had plugs replaced you might budget for that. The time and mileage is also close to potential attention to brakes, clutch, water pump, and AOS. Check the wear and age of the tires as well.
In short a PPI might be a good investment, especially if maintenance records are light or non-existent.
The car looks nice in the photos. Lightly optioned but not expensive.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:27 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

In a relatively new and happy owner (6 months) of an 06 Cayman S. If there are no red flags, this is a very good price on a great looking car. If the upgraded stereo is well done that is a great benefit.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Eyelise
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been doing research on the same model and it seems like Rod bearings are more of a concern. Poor OEM rod bolts can lead to slipping a bearing with even one grp 3 over rev. There is also an issue with oil starvation cylinder scoring on bank 2 but I believe that is with heavy duty track use. I am considering a 2006S with same mileage and price but some light track use.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Don't worry about the IMS. When you do a clutch, you can remove the grease seal at that time.

If you plan on tracking your car, you'll need to do some oil system upgrades and run a race oil.
Attached Images
Old 04-01-2018, 02:48 AM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Don't worry about the IMS. When you do a clutch, you can remove the grease seal at that time.

If you plan on tracking your car, you'll need to do some oil system upgrades and run a race oil.
I read through your doc and had a few questions:

1. Why is a single-mass lightweight flywheel NOT recommended for track-oriented cars with these engines?
2. What's the difference between the IMS Retrofit Kit or the IMS Solution?
3. I have a 2007 Cayman S that is currently setup for track duties and may eventually revert it back to stock, which IMS product do you recommend?
Old 04-01-2018, 06:22 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I might recommend using a local independent here in Nashville to do your PPI rather than P-Nashville. Cheaper and easier I bet. I'd recommend Bret at German Motorworks on Kentucky Ave. Tell him Tim sent you.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:19 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Sawborg
I read through your doc and had a few questions:
1. [QUOTE]Why is a single-mass lightweight flywheel NOT recommended for track-oriented cars with these engines? Lightweight flywheel = broken crank. The dual mass is there for a reason.
What's the difference between the IMS Retrofit Kit or the IMS Solution?
The IMS Solution is permanent and backdates the engine to a plain bearing. IMS Retrofit is a service item, 6 yr/75k miles.
I have a 2007 Cayman S that is currently setup for track duties and may eventually revert it back to stock, which IMS product do you recommend?
I wouldn't worry about it. Just remove the grease seal when you do a clutch. http://imsretrofit.com/my06-08/

Quick Reply: Considering 2007 Cayman 987