Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I work on a Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 11:34 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check out gregsmithequipment.com for a 6 thousand pound mid-rise lift....they are in del. and if you pick-up and pay cash you can make some good deals with them. You may need to use planks to drive up on [2x12] the po can be low. There are many low buck ones.....do not cheap out
Old 12-29-2017, 04:02 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks. I did look at their site. Based on my experience, their products are very reasonably priced and appear to be full-featured.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:23 AM
BobKid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RWPinNC
Maybe somewhat off-topic, but pertinent. Since several folks have brought up scissor lifts (or other lifts), what do you have? I have an '06 Cayman S and a '99 Z3 both of which could benefit from a lift.
a combo that hits close to my heart. I’ve got a 10’ ceiling and could have squeezed both in with a 9’ if I’d had to. Both the Cayman and the MCoupe are 52” tall and I’ve got 14” of space above the Cayman under the rails.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:26 PM
mytime1
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow, bobkid, that is nice and a great use of space. Unfortunately my F250 won't fit under the Cayman with my ceiling height! Do you mind me asking how much that lift ran you? I definitely need to get something because I just closed the deal on the new to me cayman yesterday. Hopefully pick it up Monday.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 wondering which of the models of atlas that is. thanks!
Old 01-05-2018, 04:55 PM
BobKid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mytime1
Wow, bobkid, that is nice and a great use of space. Unfortunately my F250 won't fit under the Cayman with my ceiling height! Do you mind me asking how much that lift ran you? I definitely need to get something because I just closed the deal on the new to me cayman yesterday. Hopefully pick it up Monday.
Originally Posted by Yabo
+1 wondering which of the models of atlas that is. thanks!
That's the 8000 normal length, runs around $2500 installed. It'll pay itself off in just a year or two of DIY oil changes alone.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...rage-Pro-8-000
Old 01-06-2018, 01:11 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,535 Posts

A lift would be great, but is by no means needed for 95% of the work you would do on a cayman... A good low-clearance high lift jack combined with four quality Esco jack stands will put the car at the right height for most service, and still allow you to work under the car (albeit lying down) for the rest. Super stable as well.

This is my Turbo on that setup, but I did plenty of work to my previous Cayman on the same stands... Some things are easier on a 911, some things are easier on a Cayman, but both are great cars to work on yourself. I enjoy working on these far more than any other car I've ever wrenched on. Not that I haven't cursed a time or two on some particular job...

Old 01-06-2018, 01:13 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,535 Posts

...found a picture of the old Cayman up on the same stands.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:23 PM
thunderstrike
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by newold_m
I have done engine/transmission mounts, fluid changes, spark plugs/coils, catback exhaust and complete suspension swap (coil overs and control arms/links) and getting ready to tackle water pump soon. To date I was able to do all the work myself on jack stands. These cars aren’t that hard to work on.
By far the most frustrating maintenance item was replacing the clutch assist ‘spring’ crammed under the days to fix a clutch squeak and that didn’t even fix the issue - stilll chasing that one.
I see you're going to work on water pump soon. Can you tell me about it, is this just a scheduled/planned replacement or having issues? Just wondering about water pump life span, when to replace proactively when changing s-belt.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:33 PM
mytime1
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. I pickup up the new to me 06' Cayman S, 6spd manual, bose speakers, adjustable seats, in great shape. I put 600 miles on it in the last 5 days. Having a ton of fun driving this car. Just ordered new air filter, cabin filter, oil filter, magnetic plug, plugs, coils, and AOS. Going to do some maintenance this weekend if I can stop driving it for a day! Pulled engine cover off to detail engine bay and it was already really clean. Cleaned it up a bit more and familiarized myself with everything on the engine.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:39 PM
thunderstrike
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, indeed the Cayman is fun to drive. Do post up any maintenance procedures along with pics. I have posted pics on oil change on 2017 718 here.

www.pbase.com/thunderstrike
Old 01-16-2018, 07:45 AM
newold_m
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstrike
I see you're going to work on water pump soon. Can you tell me about it, is this just a scheduled/planned replacement or having issues? Just wondering about water pump life span, when to replace proactively when changing s-belt.
No issues but at 80K miles I’d rather proactively replace it instead of waiting for any issues to arise. I have all the parts ready to go but haven’t had time to install it yet.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:31 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!

They're not too horrible to work on.

Quick Reply: Can I work on a Cayman?