Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 Cayman S Clutch Sh!t the Bed

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:22 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Unhappy '06 Cayman S Clutch **** the Bed

Finally had the chance to get the '06 CS to the track this past weekend. Signed up for the 3-day Driver Development weekend (formerly Instructor weekend) by Suncoast PCA at Sebring. Two days of Instructor/Solo training on Friday and Saturday, regular HPDE on Sunday. When we picked the car up in January I asked the questions about track prep and decided to do the following before tracking the car.

Motorsport AOS
Deep Sump Oil Pan
Power Steering Cooler
Underdrive Pulley
Motorsport Thermostat
Also added the GT3 Brake ducts, K&N Air Filter, and braided brake lines.

Ran great all 4 sessions in the White group on Friday. Was tired so decided to skip my last session and pack up and go to the hotel. As soon as I left for the hotel car started shuddering when first pulling away but then seemed OK, had no idea what the problem was, but drove to the back of the pits where my shop (Vortex Motorsports) had one of their cars, and also to the Zotz group out of Orlando. By the time I got over to the Zotz area the clutch pedal was to the floor and would not engage. Their mechanic said the transmission was OK but the clutch **** the bed so I had flatbed home.

If it ain’t one thing… Guess it is just crap luck, ’06 Cayman S, we bought it in January with 27,000 miles and have put 10,000 miles on it around town. Clutch is a wear item of which 37,000 miles seems low to have a problem, but it is still 11 years old.

One guy at the track mentioned a clutch and flywheel kit but I explained this is not a track only car, it is mainly a weekend fun car, that will see the track 4 or 5 times a year.

And as a “fun” PS, after flatbeding the Cayman home on Saturday I went back to instruct on Sunday. Took my daughter’s ’06 Mini Cooper S down, thought about driving it on the track but did not want to push my luck. So, on the way home last night, tire blew out on Interstate 4 and had to flatbed that home as well. Two days, two flatbeds.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:09 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jsabatini
Finally had the chance to get the '06 CS to the track this past weekend. Signed up for the 3-day Driver Development weekend (formerly Instructor weekend) by Suncoast PCA at Sebring. Two days of Instructor/Solo training on Friday and Saturday, regular HPDE on Sunday. When we picked the car up in January I asked the questions about track prep and decided to do the following before tracking the car.

Motorsport AOS
Deep Sump Oil Pan
Power Steering Cooler
Underdrive Pulley
Motorsport Thermostat
Also added the GT3 Brake ducts, K&N Air Filter, and braided brake lines.

Ran great all 4 sessions in the White group on Friday. Was tired so decided to skip my last session and pack up and go to the hotel. As soon as I left for the hotel car started shuddering when first pulling away but then seemed OK, had no idea what the problem was, but drove to the back of the pits where my shop (Vortex Motorsports) had one of their cars, and also to the Zotz group out of Orlando. By the time I got over to the Zotz area the clutch pedal was to the floor and would not engage. Their mechanic said the transmission was OK but the clutch **** the bed so I had flatbed home.

If it ain’t one thing… Guess it is just crap luck, ’06 Cayman S, we bought it in January with 27,000 miles and have put 10,000 miles on it around town. Clutch is a wear item of which 37,000 miles seems low to have a problem, but it is still 11 years old.

One guy at the track mentioned a clutch and flywheel kit but I explained this is not a track only car, it is mainly a weekend fun car, that will see the track 4 or 5 times a year.

And as a “fun” PS, after flatbeding the Cayman home on Saturday I went back to instruct on Sunday. Took my daughter’s ’06 Mini Cooper S down, thought about driving it on the track but did not want to push my luck. So, on the way home last night, tire blew out on Interstate 4 and had to flatbed that home as well. Two days, two flatbeds.
sheesh! Bad luck but no one got hurt and all can be fixed. Tire replacing is relatively cheap and easy (TireRack lol). Consider Conti Extreme Contacts, excellent imho esp for the price. So you will stay with a stock flywheel and clutch plate since you drive it mostly on the street? Also, did you consider an external/larger oil cooler? Mike from Tuner RS recommends that before ANY thing else for track prep. I’m getting so much advice my head is spinning. Btw, I drove my daughter’s Mini Cooper S on the Ring for two laps. Very hot brakes ended our fun.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:55 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a failed pressure plate. Not uncommon at all. Porsche replaced many when the cars still had warranty.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Clutch could have failed. But it doesn't have to be a bad clutch. Could be a clutch fluid problem. Over time the fluid absorbs moisture and the heat of tracking boils the moisture and the clutch hydraulic system acts up.

It has been my experience with just 2.5 year old brake/clutch fluid while the braking appeared to be unaffected clutch action and as a result shifting action was affected. A flush/bleed had the clutch (and shifting) back to normal.

If it is not too late you might try a brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed to see if you can resurrect the clutch before you go to the trouble/expense of dropping the transmission.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:20 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Clutch could have failed. But it doesn't have to be a bad clutch. Could be a clutch fluid problem. Over time the fluid absorbs moisture and the heat of tracking boils the moisture and the clutch hydraulic system acts up.

It has been my experience with just 2.5 year old brake/clutch fluid while the braking appeared to be unaffected clutch action and as a result shifting action was affected. A flush/bleed had the clutch (and shifting) back to normal.

If it is not too late you might try a brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed to see if you can resurrect the clutch before you go to the trouble/expense of dropping the transmission.
It absolutely could be hydraulic, a simple bleed with let you know if that is the case or reveal a bid master or slave.

Cheers
Old 11-25-2017, 08:03 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Thanks for the replies, will mention it to my shop. Brake fluid was fresh and recently bled. One of the mechanics from Zotz did check the fluid. Flatbedding to Vortex on Monday.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:27 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This guy is super nice, and a good sport too. I've spoken to him about his videos. He has another one on bleeding the clutch line.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:59 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Clutch was worn out causing the angle of the pressure plate with the throw out bearing to be less than optimal. As a result, bad things happened.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:41 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow. glad nobody got hurt. I've went 50-60k miles on a single clutch (before I sold the cars) and never had one go on me, despite driving, ahem, spirited.

Quick Reply: '06 Cayman S Clutch Sh!t the Bed