Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman rear lid release cable - where is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:46 AM
DoctorJ
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation Cayman rear lid release cable - where is it?

I'm at a complete loss on how to open the rear deck lid! Battery went dead in my '07 S, tried the positive post in the fuse box without any luck. Read somewhere that there is an emergency release cable in the left rear wheel well, but can't find it there (rear part of the inner lining is riveted to the heat shield - which I don't want to drill out unless ABSOULTELY necessary). Also found a thread saying you can get to this cable by slithering through the inside over the top of the engine and removing the rear tail light on the left side. But, I DON'T FIT back there.
Anybody have actual experience with this issue?
Thanks in advance!!
Doc
Old 10-25-2017, 10:03 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i think the battery is up front in the "frunk" not the rear.....same procedure though ....jump/charge at fuse box . the release cable is near driver side FRONT wheel inner fender i think........off topic....you aint a real doctor are you ..please say no
Old 10-27-2017, 05:20 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

I seem to remember reading references to plugging a DC source (Jump station/battery maintainer) into the cigarette lighter/DC port in the dash. The idea was that all you needed was enough juice to activate the frunk and rear deck releases. This was a while back, so I don't know if this would work for your model.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:00 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

I'm reviving this thread. I have the carpets out of my 06 Cayman S. As will be evident in the pictures below, there is a thin cable (no shroud, just a bare cable) that terminates at the latch and will indeed release the latch for the rear lid. The strange part is that the cable routes through a grommet near the left rear tail light assembly. I have looked under the car and do not see it sticking out anywhere. It is clearly factory and seems to maybe be a super secret means to manually release the rear lid. I do not sense that it is an Emergency Release, as is provided in the frunk, as it is completely covered up with the carpet installed. Looking underneath, there are some shields for the exhaust system that maybe, if removed, would expose a pull for the cable. Ring a bell with anyone?

Old 09-23-2022, 06:04 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

Battery is under the front hood, not the rear hatch.

Follow the instructions in the manual putting a battery or emergency battery plugged into the 12v lighter socket, then pop the front trunk with the electric switch.

Remove the plastic panel behind the front trunk space and replace the battery.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:48 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

@Pavegeno928 Uh, let's start over. Only look at my post and ignore the one's from 2017. I know where the battery is

Quick Reply: Cayman rear lid release cable - where is it?