Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT4 or 981/987 project car for track days?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 01:30 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,590 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Manual transmission failures?

Interesting. Will have to search. Any links to big threads handy?
All the same issue, 3rd gear lets go. It's clearly not up to the job, but the replacement gearboxes don't seem to be much better.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9614...-database.html

Up to 66 failures now I see, with pretty much weekly new additions to the list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...GDE/edit#gid=0
Old 10-26-2017, 02:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
All the same issue, 3rd gear lets go. It's clearly not up to the job, but the replacement gearboxes don't seem to be much better.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9614...-database.html

Up to 66 failures now I see, with pretty much weekly new additions to the list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...GDE/edit#gid=0
Ah... GT4. Yes I've heard of that (had a friend lose his 3rd gear a few months ago).

Thanks. I'll dig into those threads. My 987.2 is not a GT4, that said, it does have an auxiliary cooler and pump on the trans, which I run when tracking....
Old 10-26-2017, 10:39 PM
987part
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
For reliability and peace of mind, the 2009-2012 987.2 with the 9A1 engine, PDK (the manual transmission is not track reliable), is hard to beat. Strong engine and transmission, no overheating PS pump like 987.1, low price for consumables (rotors, pads).

Find one with a rollbar, 5-6 point harnesses, fire extinguisher, possible some bushings and track alignment parts installed, 3 sets of wheels.

I drove my 987.1S for 5 years, street/track and to its last day it was fun, miss it.
987.2 manual transmisison not track reliable???
No offense dude, but what are you talking about lol?
Old 10-27-2017, 05:04 AM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 987part
987.2 manual transmisison not track reliable???
No offense dude, but what are you talking about lol?
2 transmission replaced under warranty in my 987.1.

987.2 manual uses the same transmission, just different casing to connect to the 9A1 instead of the M96/M97.

Florida weather and Sebring are a test for endurance.

If your Cayman manual trannies are reliable, they are either modified (extra cooling), running in cold weather, driven in slow motion or a combination of these.

My Spec Boxster went through 3 transmissions. Non of my GT3 have asked for transmission replacement, just LSD refreshes. My PDK cars have been solid in the same weather where Cayman/Boxster broke, and they are running heavier cars and more powerful too, so they get stressed even more.

No offense either, but your mileage may vary.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:07 AM
987part
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by A/S
2 transmission replaced under warranty in my 987.1.

987.2 manual uses the same transmission, just different casing to connect to the 9A1 instead of the M96/M97.

Florida weather and Sebring are a test for endurance.

If your Cayman manual trannies are reliable, they are either modified (extra cooling), running in cold weather, driven in slow motion or a combination of these.

My Spec Boxster went through 3 transmissions. Non of my GT3 have asked for transmission replacement, just LSD refreshes. My PDK cars have been solid in the same weather where Cayman/Boxster broke, and they are running heavier cars and more powerful too, so they get stressed even more.

No offense either, but your mileage may vary.
987.1 i agree that they weaker than .2

I travel the USA and do about 8-9 race weekend per year. Never had issues and my trans has 60000 miles(not all track miles) . I do run a cooler and lsd and flush every 2-3 races.

I run the car hard, watch my videos.

Pdk trans go in limp mode, failed, bring up some coding, stuck in reverse...
Old 11-14-2017, 03:24 PM
twentyseven
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

If you're already concerned about the cost of a GT4, you shouldn't be tracking it. Rule of thumb is don't track something you can't be afraid to crash.

Further- it is still set up as a street car. It's fantastic, but comes with compromises that people above have modified for track use. And at the end of the day it will still be a jack of all trades/master of none. Spending tons of money to do HPDE's is silly. Get a built 987.x, M3, or something similar and dial it in for half the price or just get a cup car and race it. I promise you will have more fun/less stress that way. Chasing lap times in a non-competitive environment is worthless in comparison to improving your skills and just getting seat time. Everyone either grows out of it or gets sick of spending money to be a big fish in a little pond!
Old 11-15-2017, 10:39 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by twentyseven
If you're already concerned about the cost of a GT4, you shouldn't be tracking it. Rule of thumb is don't track something you can't be afraid to crash.

Further- it is still set up as a street car. It's fantastic, but comes with compromises that people above have modified for track use. And at the end of the day it will still be a jack of all trades/master of none. Spending tons of money to do HPDE's is silly. Get a built 987.x, M3, or something similar and dial it in for half the price or just get a cup car and race it. I promise you will have more fun/less stress that way. Chasing lap times in a non-competitive environment is worthless in comparison to improving your skills and just getting seat time. Everyone either grows out of it or gets sick of spending money to be a big fish in a little pond!
+1.

Everyone should know what they can comfortably afford to track and no amount of HPDE Insurance will bring back that equity if you pile up a car you own money on.

I also suspect that just like the regular car insurance market -- it won't be long before the leasing companies start bringing down the hammer on folks who pile up a leased car on a race track... share in the loss so to speak, when it's time to auction off the car. I know if I owned a leasing company, I'd have exclusions on tracking a leased car.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:36 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

While I agree with the sentiment, "You shouldn't be tracking what you can't afford to crash" - that's what DE insurance is for. I have a good friend who wadded up her car at a DE, used Lockton, and the claim was paid, no problem.

DE insurance might not heal the emotional damage of wadding up a car... but it should cure most of the financial (minus the deductible of course).

The challenge with tracking a car you can't afford to crash is, IMO, it alters your decision making in the event of an about-to-happen "oh ****" moment. If you only have Option A and Option B, both of which involve hitting something... you may try for unavailable Option C "hit nothing" and ultimately make the situation significantly worse. Seen it happen MANY times with folks in the 2-wheeled world at track events.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:03 PM
marccongdon
AutoX

I think it comes down to what your goal with the 40+ track days is. If you're just going out there to have a blast and improve yourself as a driver there's really no need for a 981 or a GT4. A 987.2 would be more than capable and keep consumables/crash costs down as well.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:35 AM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Id get a 987.2 and build off of that.

The problem with the gt4 is that you really damage the value by doing mods to it that permanently alter it. The biggest thing being the fenders which you need to mod to get more rubber down.

Out of the box the gt4 is really limited in terms of tire options and wheel sizes - which really determine how fast the car can be.

Id get a 987.2, throw an SPG or RSG recaro in it, toss a better fixed GT wing, square 18x10.5 with 275 or 285 whichever is more common for EHPs. KW clubsports or bilstein clubsports so that it is tolerable to drive on streets. Find some blank rotors and fill up DTC 60 pads. That should be more than enough to keep up with a GT4.

Quick Reply: GT4 or 981/987 project car for track days?