custom off road features - software

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:01 PM
WWDB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom off road features - software

Aloha everyone,

I was looking around the internet for custom or upgrades Cayennes and me came across this 04 Cayenne the claims to have a software lift. I am assuming the guy is referring to the factory airbags but I could be wrong. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket "lift" for the Cayenne turbos (software/hardware)? Also is there a way to turn off the system that automatically regulates the ride height?

Mahalo!

http://www.thedrive.com/flat-six-soc...-cayenne-turbo
Old 07-07-2017, 01:45 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

More than likely they adjusted the ride height with the trim settings via Durametric or PIWIS.
Its one of the ways people use to lower their Cayenne, this guy just went the other direction with it.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:46 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be wrong, but it looks like they've done something to lock it in maintenance mode maybe?
Old 07-07-2017, 08:18 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

The Cayenne's approach and departure angles are more the limiting factor than lift for actually going off road. Granted getting a little more lift will improve this somewhat but not enough for us to make it worth the effort. With air suspension we have not been restricted to where we go on the trail. We are doing more than just Forrest Service roads. It is a given that the Cayenne will never be a rock-climber or mud-holer, neither of which interests us.
Three P!gs playing in Issaquah, WA today. One from Texas heading to some Porsche event in Spokane, Otis heading to the Emory 356 Campout and the third going home.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:40 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a green 04 CTT on ebay the other day claiming a lift, probably the same car. I think the others are correct that you would need the durametric tool or similar to alter the settings.

The other issue you will run into is suspension travel. The higher you run it the more likely you are to run out which gives you a clunk. This gets old fast so I never run the highest setting anyway. The raised "terrain" setting is what I use on the trail with 31" all terrain tires. The tires fit even in the low setting which is comforting if you run higher speeds where the suspension automatically lowers.

Not sure I would bother with a lift either, not much benefit on the Cayenne which is a MUCH better road car than it will ever be off road. Mine has to run gravel roads and I live in an area known for its jeep roads, which we visit regularly. Bone stock with a tire change is all I run. I am not aware of a ready made lift kit for the Cayenne.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:02 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are quite a few of us that would benefit from a lift. Still not played with durametric settings, but agree ramp and exit are the defining parameters really. But must work out the maths of the benefit at some point.

Whilst they are better on road cars, many of us are still keen to push the boundaries of what you can do (OTIS is a great example of that - Loving the photo!). My on road dynamics are ruined by the AT tyres anyway. :-)
Old 07-09-2017, 10:01 AM
prosled8
Racer

If you have a turbo or air suspension, you have a lift... as much as you can really get out of it anyway. I also have not noticed the cars dynamics being ruined by the tires, acceleration is still vivid as ever, it is just a little easier to slide it on pavement but PDCC keeps it in check by limiting body roll.

To each his own but the Cayenne will never be more than marginal and compromised off road, at least the kind of "off-road" I prefer. I do like that it has some built in capability and I use it but trying to make it into a good off road vehicle is folly in my book.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:22 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by prosled8
If you have a turbo or air suspension, you have a lift... as much as you can really get out of it anyway. I also have not noticed the cars dynamics being ruined by the tires, acceleration is still vivid as ever, it is just a little easier to slide it on pavement but PDCC keeps it in check by limiting body roll.

To each his own but the Cayenne will never be more than marginal and compromised off road, at least the kind of "off-road" I prefer. I do like that it has some built in capability and I use it but trying to make it into a good off road vehicle is folly in my book.
The Cayenne will never be good for rock climbing or mud holing. Cayenne builds I have seen are for Overlanding - a totally different sport. We are doing a lot more than just forest service roads. Both are valid sports - for us our Cayenne has taken us down technical runs with everything from Jeeps, Taco's, Land Rovers to an AM General HMMWV. At the Northwest Overland Rally this year our Cayenne was asked to lead one trail run and do sweep for another that included these and other vehicles.

Last edited by RS-America; 07-09-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:29 PM
prosled8
Racer

Originally Posted by RS-America
The Cayenne will never be good for rock climbing or mud holing. Cayenne builds I have seen are for Overlanding - a totally different sport. We are doing a lot more than just forest service roads. Both are valid sports - for us our Cayenne has taken us down technical runs with everything from Jeeps, Taco's, Land Rovers to an AM General HMMWV. At the Northwest Overland Rally this year our Cayenne was asked to lead one trail run and do sweep for another that included these and other vehicles.
I have a pretty good feel for the cars capabilities. I organized the first PCA off road event for the Cayenne way back in 2005 in the San Juan Mtns of Colorado. I have owned G-wagens, a Unimog, a Rubicon, a new Power Wagon. I have organized meets in Moab etc etc. I am pretty familiar with off road vehicles, uses and techniques.

I took the Cayenne over the 13,000 ft+ Imogene Pass off road trail today. Only change to the car are the 255/60-19 Goodyear Wrangler Adventure tires. I will admit to being quite impressed. I was a little skeptical when I pointed it down this trail but it did wonderfully. I actually like it better than the '15 Ram Power Wagon the CTT replaced.

I am eating my crow after giving the truck a fair chance. It worked MUCH better than I expected. I have always been a lockers guy. The wheel braking system on the Cayenne is pretty impressive, just keep giving it throttle and it finds traction and hauls itself up. I did well on the light rock crawling the trail offers. Looking forward to getting out again and maybe sourcing some fuel tank skid plates, just in case.
Attached Images    
Old 07-10-2017, 03:38 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it comes down to opinions and usage. But for me changing the 957 GTS from the 21" with michilins, to 18" A/Ts the road manors are destroyed. Acceleration is fine, braking is extended and road holding is way, way down. The ATs slide very easily in the dry, where the michilins just grip. PASM mops up the mess once over the limit, but its way, way lower.

Which of course is no surprise! and is fine, as I need the A/Ts. I agree the Cayenne is never going to be as good as some others off-road, but looks like it can hold its own. I manage to keep up with Jeep Cherokee / Pajeros with little issue, but cant compete with SWB (anything!), or patrol / FJ on the dunes. Again thats fine.

I could do with more break over at times and a better ramp angle at times. Your offload history is far more than mine, but we've done a fair bit with ours and have a reasonable feel of capability / limitations. I usually get laughed at taking a cayenne out, but it usually gains some respect.

www.facebook.com/cayennegtsoffroad

If you find a source for fuel tank covers please keep us all posted, keen to see that.

Last edited by h_____; 07-10-2017 at 03:42 AM. Reason: added pics

Quick Reply: custom off road features - software