Sponsored by:

Analog clock from Cayenne to 987 needs a technician

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 10:02 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Analog clock from Cayenne to 987 needs a technician

So my 05 Boxster S has full leather, nav, seat crests and more but sadly no Sport Chrono. How much I'd use the functionality of a Sport Chrono remains uncertain but I really like the look of the pod in the center dash. So after six months of self debate, I decided to add an analog clock from a Cayenne to my dash with Sport Chrono pod. Although the car has a digital clock, I would glance at the clock all the time so had no trouble having it front and center. Cutting the dash took some nerve but it went well. So I got the clock in. Here's my problem.
My 987 nav unit is not set up for Sport Chrono, no input (that I know of).
The clock came from a 2011 Cayenne but no connector or wires.
I bought a connector and wires aftermarket (fit fine, had 4 wires).
Here's where the technician part comes in...I'd be surprise if I get a qualified answer to this but this forum has surprised me before.

2 of the 4 wires are main positive and negative. I hooked them up and no response until I connected the 3rd wire to the positive. Then the clock spins around to reset at "noon". When I release that same 3rd wire from the positive, the clock operates as it should...all needles moving properly UNTIL 10 minutes go by. Then it all resets itself at noon and stays there. I tried to repeat and its same thing all over again. The 4th wire appears to have no effect. I thought it might be linked to the lights for nighttime illumination but nope.

So I feel I'm close. Looking for someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong (or the connector wire which was meant for a Sport Chrono is not configured correctly for a Cayenne clock). By the way, both the clock and Sport Chrono has 6 pins with 4 in use, I assume two were just blanks.

If you don't have an suggestion, then I'll take any info on who I might go to.
Thanks.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c701816b4a.jpg
Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

photo from posting did not take first time
Old 04-10-2017, 01:44 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The 3rd and 4th wires should be CAN.

There is a thread here about adding a compass to a 958 that had no clock installed. That will have much of the info you are looking for.

Now as far as compatibility between the clock and you PCM. You're probably going to be on your own there. I'd think a 987.2 would have a better chance than a .1 though. Especially if it was a MY after the 958s were being produced. As it stands, 6 model years is a long time...

Couple of tips for next time:
1) wait to cut the hole in your dash until after you've actually gotten the new addition to work.

2) don't just randomly apply power to wires that you don't know the purpose of.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:41 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

Thank you GNAT, this is helpful.
fyi - on the cutting the hole too early, I did have the clock working ok, I just didn't wait 10 minutes to see if it would continue to work. In case anyone is wondering, I had planned to splice in a on-off switch remotely to be able to start the clock at noon if I needed to (mimics the clock resetting when I made contact with the third wire).
I agree on the random power wire application.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

The two orange wires are CAN-BUS wires. They go to the harness on the back of your PCM - look for the same color wires there.

Use POSITAPS (Google it - you want ones for #16 wire) to splice them in (much less damaging to the factory harness than any other sort of easy splice device) if you don't know how to do a running-linemans soldered splice (most people don't.)

I just looked at an '06 Cayenne diagram - and there is a CAN Infotainment bus. On the back of a 2.1 PCM it's pins C1 and C2 - but look for the colors. CAN HIGH is Orange/Violet-tracer CAN LOW is Orange/Brown-tracer. Depending on who made your harness - there is also a possibility the CAN connections are reversed in the connector to the clock. Mine were on a harness I got from China. So the wiring had to go to the opposite CAN-BUS wire.

If the clock doesn't work correctly - you made need to enable it in the PCM, and that may require a dealer visit, or finding someone with an ICarScan locally. I also had to go into my PCM and select that the car had the "SPORT_CHRONOGRAPH" from a PCM menu to enable the light inside the clock.

The '06 Cayenne did have a compass option - which is what the early 958 Cayennes came with - but it was directly replaceable with a clock.

Curious - where did you find the wiring harness? The one I found in China now seems unobtainable.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:08 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

This is extremely helpful. Just to be sure, I installed in in a 05 Boxster, not a Cayenne (you referenced the Cayenne PCM diagram...would they be the same?). I think I can follow all this ok. What is a CAN?
I bought the connector and harness from eBay and it came from China. It fit as expected, again, only 4 wires connected out of the 6 pins.
Just to clarify, two of the wires on the harness were RED and BLACK. I assumed they were the constant ON and GROUND. The initial functioning would indicate it is. The other two wires were thinner, kind of a faded orange with brown and green stripe respectively...these are the CAN wires(?) Sounds like the light is hoping/finding the PCM has a Sport Chrono setting.
I do have a an ICARSoft SCAN.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:15 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FIA-F1
This is extremely helpful. Just to be sure, I installed in in a 05 Boxster, not a Cayenne (you referenced the Cayenne PCM diagram...would they be the same?).
The 06 Cayenne and 05 987 should be close enough that there is a pretty good chance that since he got it to work in the Cayenne that you should be able to get it to work in your 987 too. It is also a good reference that Porsche was doing the same type of wiring then as they are now so you should be able to find the wires to tap.

In regards to his "mixed up" wires. It could be the source of his pigtail messed it up or it could be that Porsche has changed the coloring from the 955 to the 958.

What is a CAN?
Controller Area Network. It's how modern cars communicate with their modules.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by gnat
The 06 Cayenne and 05 987 should be close enough that there is a pretty good chance that since he got it to work in the Cayenne that you should be able to get it to work in your 987 too. It is also a good reference that Porsche was doing the same type of wiring then as they are now so you should be able to find the wires to tap.

In regards to his "mixed up" wires. It could be the source of his pigtail messed it up or it could be that Porsche has changed the coloring from the 955 to the 958.
I installed mine in a 958. I just referenced the '06 Cayenne since (1) I have the service manual and wiring diagrams (2) it should use the same era PCM as his '05 boxter, so chances are the wiring for the PCM/clock/compass are the same.

And indeed - the question will be if his PCM recognizes it - or if it needs to be enabled in the PCM - or if they used a simple analog DC motor driven clock in the Boxster at that time.

I don't have a clue since I don't own an '05 boxster. As far as the wiring being different - no - the cable had the wrong color codes. I have very clear Porsche documentation showing what pins on the clock are high and low CAN-Bus entertainment-bus pins - and the colors on the wires for the connector are reversed. A simple assembly error I would guess. It isn't clear if this is a critical thing - given how CAN-Bus communicates it may not care. The high-CAN and low-CAN color codes are identical for the '06 955 and an '11 958. There was no change.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

This is extremely helpful. Just to be sure, I installed in in a 05 Boxster, not a Cayenne (you referenced the Cayenne PCM diagram...would they be the same?). I think I can follow all this ok. What is a CAN?
I bought the connector and harness from eBay and it came from China. It fit as expected, again, only 4 wires connected out of the 6 pins.
Just to clarify, two of the wires on the harness were RED and BLACK. I assumed they were the constant ON and GROUND. The initial functioning would indicate it is. The other two wires were thinner, kind of a faded orange with brown and green stripe respectively...these are the CAN wires(?) Sounds like the light is hoping/finding the PCM has a Sport Chrono setting.
I do have a an ICARSoft SCAN.
Can you provide a link to where the cable came from (if it was somewhat recent..) All the links I had no longer work, and people have asked where to buy it.

The colors are supposed to be orange/brown (CAN-LOW) and orange-violet (CAN-HIGH) - I guess they didn't have orange-violet so they figured orange-green was close enough.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:37 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Here is the cable. I deleted the eBay posting but let me try a little harder to retrieve it. Maybe there's a contact I can turn up.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:44 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

I think those are blurry numbers on the 6 socket side. They are 1, 3, 4, 6 in the corners. You can almost make them out. From that, you can deduce which pins are wired with what color.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

I found a contact email from my PayPal purchase back in September 16 for the Sport Chrono cable (from China). Note, this is an email address. There is a Canadian website with a similar name but it is not the same outfit I don't believe.

eurosportstuning@gmail.com
Old 04-19-2017, 09:14 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Ok, I can use your help here guys. You can see from the pics the wiring into my 05 Boxster PCM. I don't see any orange with any color wire. Just two solid orange heavy gauge wires. When you eliminate those, there are very few wires left. My guess none of those are CAN 1 or 2. Diagram from top of unit may help. Any suggestions? My harness is pictured earlier in the thread. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I'd have to agree with you - I don't see any CAN-bus wires either. There were a LOT more wires going to the back of my 3.1 PCM (have the Burmeiser system.) The two large orange "wires" aren't wires - they're optical fiber for the MOST-Bus (an entertainment specific bus that connects probably to your amplifier, and/or CD changer if you have one.)

You may be screwed here.. you really have to find a wiring diagram for the Boxster - and I can't help with that.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I found a contact email from my PayPal purchase back in September 16 for the Sport Chrono cable (from China). Note, this is an email address. There is a Canadian website with a similar name but it is not the same outfit I don't believe.

eurosportstuning@gmail.com
I contact them - and their immediate reply was how many hundred did I want..

I explained that I was just seeing if the cables were still available - and I can report that they are - from that source. They offered to do a group-buy if we wanted to - but since I have one already, I'm not taking on that task.

Quick Reply: Analog clock from Cayenne to 987 needs a technician