Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet soaked on passenger side, how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:01 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Carpet soaked on passenger side, how to remove?

Trying to figure out how to lift up the carpet on the passenger side footwell as it is soaked. I'd rather not break any trim pieces so are there any hints on how to do this without tearing up my interior?

I cleaned the drain line about 2 months ago but just this weekend it started leaking again. Not sure what the issue is but I need to dry out the floorplan before proceeding.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:40 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I figured it out. Didn't have to remove any trim or anything. Just had to be careful.

Unfortunately the A/C drain plug wasn't functioning even though I had "fixed" it before. I ended up cutting the little flap now it's draining as it should. Have a fan on my carpets now to dry things out.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

On my '06, I could pull out the outside edge of the carpet (from under the door sill and the passenger sat kick plate) and then prop it up with something while it dried. It helped it dry much faster if I used towels to try to get as much water out of the 2" of foam-rubber glued to the back of the carpet. The foam rubber works like a giant sponge. You might notice Porsche gave us a little removable section of carpet so we could inspect for water on the 958 (can't think of any other reason for it) without having to pull the carpet out.

There are other possible leak sources worth looking at - and I'll just briefly mention them (they've been covered in other threads):

1. AC drain - you've done

2. Sunroof drain - when plugged it overflows, dribbles on the inside of the headliner, then runs down the inside of the "A" pillar, past the fusebox and behind the passenger side kickplate to soak the foam rubber under the carpeting. This is rather common. Cleaning them is tricky since there are some junctions and right angles in the drain lines (mostly behind the right side fuse box).. I've used weed-wacker string, and compressed air. The outlets for them are located behind the wheel liner - and are known to plug - they're fish-mouth sort of outlets. Most smart people remove the fish mouth and just let them drain unhindered.

3. Firewall leak. The windshield drains right down around the hood hinge on the passenger side. Unfortunately - it tends to carry along with the water any dirt or leaves or general munge from the windshield area down that drain. That drain is funneled down around the hinge and down through the chassis between the inner fender liner and the outer fender skin, to emerge at the end of the fender right next to the front edge of the door. A LOT of dirt can accumulate there. Removal of the fender liner will let you clean most of it out.

Also - on my '06 - there was a 1.5" round hole - obviously for wires for another model - right where the fender inner wall met the firewall. I found it using a MAG light and looking very carefully. Using the MAG-Lite I could see the wiring harness inside the passenger compartment. The water from the windshield went down that far, filled up the area and then flowed right into the interior of the car behind the right side kickpanel. There was a "high-tide" mark of dirt even with the bottom of the hole. Cleaning up that area (compressed air and LONG tweezers) and then installing a plastic body plug in the hole ended that source of leaks. I have heard of an unsealed seam in the body on a 958 in this same area - so it's worth taking a look around. I know there is a drain in the bottom of the air intake for the heater - but it's not simple to get to since there is a water catch tray that doesn't seem to want to release. I could just see the hole with my MAG-Lite and I poked down into it about 8" with a 24" long 1/2" tie-wrap. I saw no sign of water being trapped in the area.

So far my '11 CTT 958 has remained dry, I hope that continues. Being parked in the garage likely helps. Not as much tree-crap gets washed down into the drain passages.

Please update us with what you find. BTW - for the AC drain, you can pull it off the inside pipe on the bottom of the heater box (remove the panel under the glovebox and prepare to get a headache doing it) - and then poke crap out of it with a long screwdriver.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:50 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Are the sunroof drains maintenance issues for both types of sunroof (small one over front seats and Pano-roof)?

No issues blowing drain hoses off of fittings when using compressed air to blow-out drains?

Do 957s also have the same fish-mouth fittings at the drain outlets?
Old 03-29-2017, 01:05 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

957s do have the star shaped grommet plugs in the wheel wells. There was a service bulletin about removing them completely. Good to check them yearly or more often if you park outdoors.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:37 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Please update us with what you find. BTW - for the AC drain, you can pull it off the inside pipe on the bottom of the heater box (remove the panel under the glovebox and prepare to get a headache doing it) - and then poke crap out of it with a long screwdriver.
I'm not sure how or why but the A/C drain that plugs into the firewall must have been blocked or just not working properly. I had removed it before and it appeared to be fine but this time I snipped off the little rubber flap to make sure it drains properly.

I tested it and immediately saw a puddle coming down when turning on the A/C.

After pulling the carpet up and vacuuming it as much as I can I ran a fan on there overnight. It seems pretty dry but I'll also put a dehumidifier in there to make sure. Also I found my pollen filter was soaked so I had to dry that out as well. Funny you mentioned the little "window" into the carpet as that is exactly what I used it for. That's when I knew I'd have to pull it up to dry it out.

I haven't checked the sunroof drains yet but this vehicle is always garaged so I don't think that's the issue. Plus I clearly saw where it was leaking and it was the A/C drain.

I'll keep an eye on it and make sure this really is it. What a hassle - it really upset my wife as she didn't like seeing water pouring into her daily driver.

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
Are the sunroof drains maintenance issues for both types of sunroof (small one over front seats and Pano-roof)?

No issues blowing drain hoses off of fittings when using compressed air to blow-out drains?

Do 957s also have the same fish-mouth fittings at the drain outlets?
I have a pano and did locate where the drain is but since we didn't have rain yesterday and it was leaking I knew it had to be something else.

Originally Posted by 7 Summits
957s do have the star shaped grommet plugs in the wheel wells. There was a service bulletin about removing them completely. Good to check them yearly or more often if you park outdoors.
Mine is a 958 and it still has those so I cleaned both of them out. There was some debris in there but not enough to stop the water completely. That's why I was surprised this was an issue as I made sure to do that after Fall just in case leaves got stuck in there.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:39 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot some compressed air in the ac condensate vent. Had the same problem last year.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:46 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

I had that problem when I got my 05CTT. I could not for the life of me get the AC drain to re-seal (someone had been in there before and also could not seal it - which is why the floor got wet) But you need to make sure that water can't come back inside. I took a nice length of heater hose and made it so it just fit the hole but also hooked into the evaporator housing. Sealed it with a fair amount of black RTV, and it hasn't leaked since. Took a week and a half to dry that sucker out - maybe longer.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:54 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

My dealer cut off the drain pipe flaps that were there to stop insects from crawling into the car from underneath the car when parked...
Old 04-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Reviving an old thread. Wondering if this could be the source of the puddle of water I found on my garage floor this morning. Just bought a used 957 GTS almost a month ago. Went out this morning to go to work and noticed a trail of what looked like maybe a half a liter of fluid running from under the passenger side across the floor and starting to trickle down the driveway. My first instinct was the dreaded "oh no, coolant loss", but upon inspection it was clearly just plain odorless, colorless water. Also opened the coolant reservoir which was still full of coolant.

A week ago I cleaned out the driver's side drain which had a decent amount of junk and debris, and have been meaning to do the passenger side as well. So not sure if this was water built up in that passenger drain that just found it's way out last night, or if the A/C drain was plugged up and it finally dumped everything out. When I looked under the car to see where it was coming from it is under the area near where the passenger drain it. Either way, it was a decent amount of water which has me a little concerned. Going to get up under there tonight or tomorrow evening after work to clean out the other drain and possibly try and see where the A/C drain is to see if it could have been the source of this water.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:54 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you remove water from the passenger floor with a shop vac after cleaning out the drain pipe? If not, water can slosh around (slowly) under the carpet/padding so you may have produced the right conditions for some of the water on the passenger side to find a hole in the floor to drain out of. So you may have used just the right combination of acceleration, braking, and cornering to get the under-carpet water to a place where a drain hole (intentional or unintentional) let it out of the passenger side. Once you clean roof drains that were causing water to back-up into the passenger compartment, it can take MONTHS for the interior to completely dry out if you do nothing to assist the process (like sucking water out of the carpet/padding with a shop vac). The fastest way to dry the passenger side is to separate the carpet and padding and blow a fan onto everything (after sucking as much water out of everything as possible with the shop vac). In a dry climate, that can speed up the drying-out process by, literally, months compared to just letting the car dry out over time.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
Did you remove water from the passenger floor with a shop vac after cleaning out the drain pipe? If not, water can slosh around (slowly) under the carpet/padding so you may have produced the right conditions for some of the water on the passenger side to find a hole in the floor to drain out of. So you may have used just the right combination of acceleration, braking, and cornering to get the under-carpet water to a place where a drain hole (intentional or unintentional) let it out of the passenger side. Once you clean roof drains that were causing water to back-up into the passenger compartment, it can take MONTHS for the interior to completely dry out if you do nothing to assist the process (like sucking water out of the carpet/padding with a shop vac). The fastest way to dry the passenger side is to separate the carpet and padding and blow a fan onto everything (after sucking as much water out of everything as possible with the shop vac). In a dry climate, that can speed up the drying-out process by, literally, months compared to just letting the car dry out over time.
Well that is the thing, there is no water in the passenger footwell area nor is the carpet damp at all. Just checked again. I did find on another forum where someone noted the same issue, a fair amount (12-15 oz) of water coming out under the passenger side. The bulk of the replies said it was all just normal a/c condensation making it's way out. That the a/c system produces a lot of condensation if there is a lot of humidity in the air. Sounds like this may be the case.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:18 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like the passenger side cowl drain is full of debris. If the drivers side was full you can expect the passenger side to also be full.

I removed the rubber grommets to prevent future clogging.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
Sounds like the passenger side cowl drain is full of debris. If the drivers side was full you can expect the passenger side to also be full.

I removed the rubber grommets to prevent future clogging.
Dove into the passenger side last night, and surprisingly the drain was clean and clear. Although sticking my fingers up into the drain hole it feels like half of the hole it is partially covered by something plastic up inside that drain area. Feels like it belongs there as it's mounted and doesn't move around when I push on it, so assume it's meant to be there.

Did find a good 4-5 lbs of packed fine dirt crammed up under the wheel liner. Not a welcoming sign as I assumed the vehicle hadn't been beat on too badly, but appears now the previous owner did some off-roading with it. Cleaned out as best I could but feel like I need to get a pressure washer up under the vehicle now to blast out any other pockets of dirt and get everything clean. I'm pretty **** and meticulous about my vehicles, which means I like things to be clean even in areas that rarely or never will be seen. I like to pretend every car has a little soul inside of it and if you clean, pamper, and care for it, it will treat you well in return.

Quick Reply: Carpet soaked on passenger side, how to remove?