Sponsored by:

Porsche Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 02:14 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by prosled8
I would be leery of a V8 Cayenne that lived somewhere it needed winter tires every year. Looks like it went to the dealer for everything though, and had an extended service contract. I would be looking at that list of work done to keep it running from NEW and seriously consider the commitment you are making. If you can DIY, you can probably afford a Cayenne but it will likely cost a fortune if you continued as the PO did. I would pay to have the cylinder bores checked for scoring. Losing at the Porsche engine lottery will total the car, or double your investment... These are awesome cars but expensive to own, just know the risks going in and have a substantial slush fund if at all possible.
I don't know. I have 183,000 on my 2005 Cayenne and it has lived its whole life in cold winter climates. I think it is how it is treated. If garaged, allowed to warm up properly and maintained while being mindful of the cylinder scoring problem it can last a long time. Don't hammer on it til oil is warmed up, etc you should be fine. Also keep in mind if you are handy a scored cylinder is just time and a little money to pull, dismantle and have a shop sleeve the engine. If you aren't handy, it would really suck and cost more than vehicle is worth.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:18 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
If I were to buy another one. I would research and perform a cylinder inspection from below the piston. I'm not sure on the exact procedure for this but I assume it's done through the oil drain. If it is, I would also change the oil at that time and have the old oil analyzed. You're looking at lot for effort (or money if you pay someone else to do it) but you might save yourself from buying a vehicle that needs a $20k engine. And if everything checks out, you've got piece of mind.
Anything else is a crap shoot.
Actually, I wonder if the oil analysis on its own would be enough to detect scoring?
I had Blackstone do an oil analysis at 179,000 on mine and they said the engine shows lower than normal wear. I would guess they could pick up heavy metal concentrations in the oil and would comment on it. I use oil analysis on my fleet of trucks to detect engine wear.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:11 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
I had Blackstone do an oil analysis at 179,000 on mine and they said the engine shows lower than normal wear. I would guess they could pick up heavy metal concentrations in the oil and would comment on it. I use oil analysis on my fleet of trucks to detect engine wear.
I've got a cold climate 957 Turbo with 90k miles with no issues so far (knock on wood). I've also had my oil analyzed and everything looked good.
I agree with the way it's treated is likely the difference between scored or not. Also, the recommended oil change intervals for Mobil 0W40 is way too high. If anyone was going farther than the intervals, they were likely driving with broken down oil.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:31 PM
tresean1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
If I were to buy another one. I would research and perform a cylinder inspection from below the piston. I'm not sure on the exact procedure for this but I assume it's done through the oil drain. If it is, I would also change the oil at that time and have the old oil analyzed. You're looking at lot for effort (or money if you pay someone else to do it) but you might save yourself from buying a vehicle that needs a $20k engine. And if everything checks out, you've got piece of mind.
Anything else is a crap shoot.
Actually, I wonder if the oil analysis on its own would be enough to detect scoring?
Thanks. Does cylinder scoring just happen randomly? I mean, for example, if their inspection doesn't check the cylinders from underneath thoroughly or from below the piston, what will be some of the symptoms (or causes) that I will notice (or can avoid) if the cylinder become scored throughout my ownership?
​​​​​​​ I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if the cylinders are fine and aren't already scored when I purchase, is there any preventative things I can do to ensure it doesn't happen, or is it just doomed to happen no matter what? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what is the root cause to even open up Pandora's box of scoring in the first place?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:38 PM
tresean1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would a PPI inspection be able to do an oil analysis, do you think?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:58 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Originally Posted by tresean1
Thanks. Does cylinder scoring just happen randomly? I mean, for example, if their inspection doesn't check the cylinders from underneath thoroughly or from below the piston, what will be some of the symptoms (or causes) that I will notice (or can avoid) if the cylinder become scored throughout my ownership?
​​​​​​​ I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if the cylinders are fine and aren't already scored when I purchase, is there any preventative things I can do to ensure it doesn't happen, or is it just doomed to happen no matter what? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what is the root cause to even open up Pandora's box of scoring in the first place?
That's the million dollar question. I'm not sure if there's a definitive conclusion as to the cause. I think your best bet is to find one that doesn't have it and then operate and maintain it properly.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:00 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Would a PPI inspection be able to do an oil analysis, do you think?
I doubt that you'll find someone that will go to that extent for you but they may be able to gather an oil sample for you and then you can send it to Blackstone labs for analysis.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:31 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Bear in mind that you are buying a 9 year old car. Things will go wrong and things will wear out and break. The computers in it are at least 14 year old technology.
This one looks like it was treated well which is a good omen, but see above.
Unfortunately no one will be able to tell you for certain if you will have big bills or not. Cylinder scoring, whilst fatal for the engine, is still rare, so I personally wouldn’t worry about it too much.
If it is a good example,Someone else might buy it whilst you are having all the oil testing done (which might not be conclusive anyway).
So, I’d organise an inspection and just buy it and enjoy it.
Happy shopping.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:50 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for your response.
This is a 2009 CTTS.
Looks like he never had a problem with the battery, which is a good thing I guess; but I did see where he had to change the key/remote batteries like once a year---do those things really eat thru batteries that quickly?
If you send me your email, I can send you the cleaned up version of the records, so you can easily scan thru them to see if anything additional stands out?
Funny you should ask about the battery.
Friday evening, during a trip home from the airport, a bright red battery/charging warning appeared. There was no issue prior to this warning.

Was able to make the 40min. trip home, but the lights were getting awfully dim.

I swapped out the battery on Saturday now all is well.

This is a 2009 GTS/65K mi. with an Interstate battery but no date to know its age.

Including the OEM battery this is probably the third battery in 9 years.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:04 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know. I have 183,000 on my 2005 Cayenne and it has lived its whole life in cold winter climates. I think it is how it is treated. If garaged, allowed to warm up properly and maintained while being mindful of the cylinder scoring problem it can last a long time. Don't hammer on it til oil is warmed up, etc you should be fine. Also keep in mind if you are handy a scored cylinder is just time and a little money to pull, dismantle and have a shop sleeve the engine. If you aren't handy, it would really suck and cost more than vehicle is worth.
The problem is, you do not know how the car was treated. The large number of records from the dealer suggest it was probably cared for. Simply owning a TTS should be a commitment to good care but you just never know.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

1. Clearly the owner did not regularly check the oil
2. This car burns enough oil where that will be necessary

I see they drove it until the oil light came on and then took it to the dealer
Old 02-17-2018, 08:56 PM
nrddct
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 09 gts was my first porsche. Bought at 100k miles. Cold climate in NY and ohio, now in Michigan. 15k miles into ownership, no major issues, but it is not my daily. Blackstone analysis reports oil is excellent every 5k miles. I always wait until oil is a operating temp before I go WOT.

Having to do it all over again, I would probably get a turbo. Speed is addicting.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:17 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
1. Clearly the owner did not regularly check the oil
2. This car burns enough oil where that will be necessary

I see they drove it until the oil light came on and then took it to the dealer
^^^^^ I was going to comment on that too. Big red flag that an idiot owned the car.
Even worse, I think the coolant warning light was addressed at the same time as the oil warning light. How long did this fool drive around with the warning lights on? Until the keyfob battery died causing an actual inconvenience for her?

Out of all the jibberish posted, I think I see maybe 3 oil changes listed. I'm guessing they're the type to only go by the dash messages and the car went 10,000 miles (and maybe years) between changes.
And from all that's been done to it from day one (excluding the weekly tire swaps and tire repairs)...that thing appears to be a lemon.

Quick Reply: Porsche Newbie