Austin (TX) Coolant Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Hugga99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Austin (TX) Coolant Pipes

Hi everyone!

Been reading Rennlist for a long time, just signed up. Picked up an 04' CTT, with 82k miles, last week. I have all of the service records, and PO's never declined any service, everything that was recommended was done.

However, I cannot find any record of coolant pipes. I know the trick with the mirror, to see if they were done, but I also want to ensure that the Heater-T, as well as that other hose, are done. I want to make sure it continues running perfectly, as it is now, and avoid any HUGE bill as a result of neglected PM.

I have read about ATX AutoSport, and stopped in, but they needed over 2 weeks advanced warning for an appointment. Moorespeed never returned my call. Anyone have their pipes done, locally, here in Austin. PO used German Auto Center for oil, and battery, but nothing major.

I am looking for a trustworthy shop, with decent prices. It does seem like most of these Porsche shops customers never actually ask about their prices, which I understand, as so many of the cars are 100k+.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:52 AM
Hugga99
Intermediate

I should also note, Porsche dealer (in Austin) said, "Don't change them until they start leaking." I disagree, and it seems most members would, too.

I am coming from a Land Cruiser, which is timing belt/brakes/oil changes, and drive it, and just want to get on top of the Cayenne, make sure it lasts 200k+ as so many others seem to say it will.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:22 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

There's a user here who is on his second Cayenne and does his own wrenching...username escapes me but I'm guessing he will chime in due to your thread title How much did you pay for your pig? I'm in the market and trying to keep track of actual prices.

Welcome!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Hugga99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ventoGT
There's a user here who is on his second Cayenne and does his own wrenching...username escapes me but I'm guessing he will chime in due to your thread title How much did you pay for your pig? I'm in the market and trying to keep track of actual prices.

Welcome!
Awesome, I would love to hear his input. Just called Moorespeed again, looking forward to hearing what they have to say.

Im not sure my price would reflect the market accurately. I snagged a pretty solid deal. Right now I am either going to spend whatever it takes to make sure it is good for 5 years and 150k miles (coils, plugs, hoses), or just sell it and get my wife an RX, haha.

I picked it up on a whim, I wasn't actually in the market, but it caught my eye. I do love it this far, amazing SUV, especially for their prices. The depreciation is insane on these, especially considering their relative solid reliability.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:09 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

The market is the market, so I would call anything market "correct" if money and title changed hands

As far as things to look for, the big ones are Coolant Pipes [plastic ones break, but if you have 150K miles yours are likely aluminum] and Cardan Shaft replacement. There are threads if you do a search--there are also some 350K+ CTTs on the forum so once they are right they seem to run well.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Hugga99
Intermediate

The market is the market, so I would call anything market "correct" if money and title changed hands

As far as things to look for, the big ones are Coolant Pipes [plastic ones break, but if you have 150K miles yours are likely aluminum] and Cardan Shaft replacement. There are threads if you do a search--there are also some 350K+ CTTs on the forum so once they are right they seem to run well.
I have seen those threads with 350k. It definitely seems like it is mainly coolant pipes, then just fix as you go. I have read about the Carfan shaft, but it sounds like you can wait until that happens to fix, unless I am reading that incorrectly.

My 04' has 82k miles, I want to get all the PM done so that it is good until 150k miles....or just sell it. Either 'invest' into it, or get an RX. I am leaning towards keeping it.

Price wise, around $12k, with 82k miles, every option, towing, etc. Perfect condition, runs like new. It doesn't have any leaks, and I want to do this PM to keep it that way.

Oke thing I will say, forums always make me paranoid. They make you think you will have all the same issues that you read about.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:22 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

That is a great price for sure. You can check to see if the pipes are aluminum--that seems to be an "if not when" change. The cardan shaft, when I get my rig, I will likely do the Jimi Fix if and when the problem shows itself. Cheap and seems to last a very long time.

As for forums freaking you out, that's part of the problem as people are naturally complainers so when things go wrong they search the internet for solutions, they don't tend to just post "hey my car is awesome"--not to mention that many many people who drive these Cayennes specifically are likely not car nuts like so much of this forum. I have been impressed with the knowledge and vibe of the Cayenne forum having been a Rennlister for my other Pcars in the past, so you are in good hands here!
Old 01-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Hugga99
Intermediate

That is a great price for sure. You can check to see if the pipes are aluminum--that seems to be an "if not when" change. The cardan shaft, when I get my rig, I will likely do the Jimi Fix if and when the problem shows itself. Cheap and seems to last a very long time.
Yea, I heard that mentioned, I will read more on that simple fix. I am not a "wrencher", but do read a lot so that I know what is needed, etc.

I did read about checking for the pipes with the mirror, etc....but that trick doesnt seem to show THAT conclusively what was done, and it definitely doesn't show the Heater T, or the other Hose that can leak...I think the vent Hose?

I want to be able to drive it care free, not constantly thinking about the possibility of a coolant leak, or major failure.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:31 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugga99
Yea, I heard that mentioned, I will read more on that simple fix. I am not a "wrencher", but do read a lot so that I know what is needed, etc.

I did read about checking for the pipes with the mirror, etc....but that trick doesnt seem to show THAT conclusively what was done, and it definitely doesn't show the Heater T, or the other Hose that can leak...I think the vent Hose?

I want to be able to drive it care free, not constantly thinking about the possibility of a coolant leak, or major failure.
1. These cars depreciate so much, because the parts are expensive and labor is an arm and a leg if you do not DIY. They will also never be collectibles like the variations of the 911.

2. Checking the coolant pipes with a mirror or cellphone camera can tell you definitively if all three were swapped out. If they are aluminum you are good, if they are still black plastic you are in fact a sitting duck.

3. The Tees in the back of the 4.5TT do not fail as 'reliably' as the pipes, but are definitely a growing concern with age. Unfortunately Porsche's official fix is to replace them with the same crap parts. They are very difficult to access and if you do not have records of them being swapped it will be very tough to know if that has happened. There are some on here who have put together a fix with a set of metal Tees, but it is very unlikely to actually find that on a car in the used market. It would be possible to tell if they were metal with a camera and it miiiight be possible to tell if the hoses look newer and it was recently performed. The old hoses actually have to be cut out since it is so difficult to access them for replacement.

4. Here is a short list of almost certain equipment failures you will encounter if you want to take it to 150k miles:

1. Brake booster system leaks (pump and/or hoses)
2. Rear hatch struts
3. Transmission valve body
4. Engine mounts
5. Control arm bushings
6. Interior dome light failure
7. Diverter valves
8. Coils

Of this list, only #8 could leave you stranded, but that is easily avoided if you make sure to replace every 40-50k. I am assuming you will address the cardan shaft.

Beyond that it will be the occasional shockingly expensive random part like a shock, pump, headlight part, or electronic gremlin. They eat tires and brakes for breakfast if you drive hard. Despite all of this there is a group of us crazies who absolutely love them. You have to expect some expense and surprise with the amount of complexity and badassery engineered into these things.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Hugga99
Intermediate

Awesome, good info.

The coils, and spark plugs, have been done around 50k. Car is running smoothly, now. In terms of the coolant pipes, Heater T, all that, I almost want a good shop to open it up, and take a look to ensure that they are done.

Engine mounts have already been done, I have the records for that. Brakes are recent, as are tires. From my reading it seems like the coolant pipes are the most major issue, cost wise, with everything else simply being "more expensive than a Toyota", but not insanely, so.

I am aware of their depreciation due to the cost of repairs, but really, from the research I have done, the repairs do not seem to be that insane.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:57 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Engine mounts are actually the priciest item on the list since they require dropping the subframe and engine removal and are about $250 each. That would have been the perfect time to replace the coolant Tees, actually. Are you sure it was not just the upper mount? There is a big difference between swapping the dogbone and the lower mounts.

Everyone has their own cost frame of reference and some are lucky to have better Indie mechanics than others. Most of the things on that list are 1k jobs, but the transmission is another big ticket item rivaling the coolant pipes. It can be avoided/prolonged if you keep the fluid very fresh.

Make sure if/when the pipes are done that fluid is not spilled on the transmission or you are looking at a very pricey subsequent bill as well to replace the seal.

I think the more you drive it, the more it will be worth it to you to deal with the maintenance! ;-)
Old 01-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Hugga99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nodoors
Engine mounts are actually the priciest item on the list since they require dropping the subframe and engine removal and are about $250 each. That would have been the perfect time to replace the coolant Tees, actually. Are you sure it was not just the upper mount? There is a big difference between swapping the dogbone and the lower mounts.

Everyone has their own cost frame of reference and some are lucky to have better Indie mechanics than others. Most of the things on that list are 1k jobs, but the transmission is another big ticket item rivaling the coolant pipes. It can be avoided/prolonged if you keep the fluid very fresh.

Make sure if/when the pipes are done that fluid is not spilled on the transmission or you are looking at a very pricey subsequent bill as well to replace the seal.

I think the more you drive it, the more it will be worth it to you to deal with the maintenance! ;-)
You may be right about the engine mounts. I will have to check the records. I read that the transmission is very reliable, aside from if the seal is ruined by leaking coolant. I was told to do a flush @ 120k miles. Are others doing it sooner?
Old 01-09-2017, 01:18 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hugga99
I am aware of their depreciation due to the cost of repairs, but really, from the research I have done, the repairs do not seem to be that insane.
Honestly I think you have purchased at the close to 'dead end' from a depreciation perspective...you likely will be able to sell it for what you bought it for or close even with another 50K-100K miles on it, but a $12K Cayenne you may as well just drive until it blows up and then give it away
Old 01-09-2017, 01:54 PM
Hugga99
Intermediate

Honestly I think you have purchased at the close to 'dead end' from a depreciation perspective...you likely will be able to sell it for what you bought it for or close even with another 50K-100K miles on it, but a $12K Cayenne you may as well just drive until it blows up and then give it away
I agree completely, that is what I told my wife.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:06 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

Hugga I might be the guy who has had 2 CTT's. Did the T's in the first (an 05) and the pipes and T's in the 06 CTTs before they failed. Here is where I talk about the T's.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...es-a-z-30.html
Scroll down on that page and it shows how to use a smart phone to take pictures of the pipes.
If yours have not been done definitely do them before they fail and change the T's to metal. Post 480 and 487 in that thread has a good pics of the metal T's replacing the plastic ones. To do that you need to buy the two parts from Porsche and switch in the metal T's for the plastic ones.
Depending on your wrenching abilities it is a pain, but not real hard to DIY.

Quick Reply: Austin (TX) Coolant Pipes