Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police attention and Tickets in the Pig...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 05:02 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Police attention and Tickets in the Pig...

Knock on wood I have not had a ticket in a long time. I was driving to work on the highway in the CTT and got tailgated by a cop for a solid 3 or 4 miles. He was following dangerously close and making me nervous that those lights were about to come on at any second - if he didn't rear-end me! After a while he pulled around kept on. I found it quite odd as he was certainly targeting me and none of the other cars around me and it was a situation where he could have easily passed on either side. I was not speeding when he ran up on me and going doing nothing to attract attention at the time.

For the most part I have found that the pig gets very little police attention despite the fact that my exhaust is loud. It can't really be heard on the highway, though. My other cars definitely put me on higher alarm, but today I was sure they were out to get me.

What have your experiences been compared to some of your other more obnoxious rides like sports cars and sport bikes and things that they love to ticket?
Old 12-16-2016, 05:34 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Nothing in the Cayenne but got pulled over the very day I bought my first Porsche - 99 guards red cab. Wasn't even speeding and the trooper was going the other direction and whipped around to pull me over. I didn't have any papers yet or anything to prove it was mine (private sale) - and the cop said I was lucky because he just ran out of tickets.

Not sure what his deal was but I gladly left without a ticket that day. I guess there is a reason they call it "arrest me red".
Old 12-16-2016, 06:36 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

According to cops I do know - the Cayenne (all models) are the least likely to be suspected of speeding...unless it's visibly apparent. Cops "say" the Cayenne is mostly driven by old rich guys, who pay their taxes and obedient of laws... I can accept that!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
I was driving to work on the highway in the CTT and got tailgated by a cop for a solid 3 or 4 miles. He was following dangerously close and making me nervous that those lights were about to come on at any second - if he didn't rear-end me! After a while he pulled around kept on. I found it quite odd as he was certainly targeting me and none of the other cars around me and it was a situation where he could have easily passed on either side. I was not speeding when he ran up on me and going doing nothing to attract attention at the time.
If he could easily get around you on either side - perhaps he was trying to tell you that the "keep right except to pass" law applies to Cayenne's too?

BTW - a white CTT? Seems to be pretty much invisible - both to cops and unfortunately other drivers.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:53 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
According to cops I do know - the Cayenne (all models) are the least likely to be suspected of speeding...unless it's visibly apparent. Cops "say" the Cayenne is mostly driven by old rich guys, who pay their taxes and obedient of laws... I can accept that!
Damn it! They're on to me!!!
Old 12-16-2016, 10:42 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Last two times I was pulled over were in the P!g.

First was laser from above and behind for 80 in a 55 which ultimately got reduced to failure to obey traffic signs. The second was like a week after I got the previous ticket where I got a warning for not having a front plate, though it was clear that he knew I wasn't going to put one on.

The vast majority of my past tickets have been in sub 30k cars, so I just don't drive such cars anymore
Old 12-16-2016, 10:44 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The run up behind and tailgate is done in an attempt to get you to speed up. Guess what happens then?
Old 12-17-2016, 12:23 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger
If he could easily get around you on either side - perhaps he was trying to tell you that the "keep right except to pass" law applies to Cayenne's too?
haha, at certain points yes, but it was city highway driving with several merges, splits on ramps and off ramps. I would have looked like a drunk changing lanes constantly to keep to the right, which I would have given him credit for tailing me then!!
Old 12-17-2016, 12:27 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tom M
The run up behind and tailgate is done in an attempt to get you to speed up. Guess what happens then?
Good point! Glad I noticed it was a cop and not just a normal $#!7head in a chevy. For the record the vast majority of our cops are now in unmarked cars. I am quite good at spotting them, but it gets tougher every year as they spend more money on slicker gear and foreign cars in different colors/styles, etc.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:52 AM
whitecayenneS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My '17 White Cayenne S gets little attention however White is one of the best colors for attracting and maintaining visual attention. White cars stick out and don't blend-in with any surroundings, same with white helmets on motorcyclists. Now this is not a contradiction but I also like white cars because they don't attract attention, don't look like race cars, don't scream SPEED. My white SUV looks like any other white SUV. Most people think it's a Dodge, or a Ford, or whatever. I like that. I know what I'm driving, and I know what it's capable of... but I don't need or want to advertise those facts.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:05 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

He may have been running your license plate to see if it comes up stolen. I can take a minute or two if he did it "manually". The PDs around here are getting more and more automated plate scanners that pickup plate numbers from cars being driven and parked and flags them for the officer if they come up stiolen. Seems strange that he would tailgate that long though.

I got a ticket while riding a motorcycle for "failure to observe a speed-control device" for riding "through" the rain-drainage gap in a speed bump without slowing down and without driving over the hump. Went to court. Explained and won. No speeding involved and there is no "law" that says you have to slow down for a speed bump. The cop was just being a PITA... trial was over an hour from home too. Interestingly, the judge was a motorcycle rider too (I forget how that came up). The judge asked if I wanted to claim lost wages and transportation costs to come to fight the ticket--because it never should have been written (the officer was present and it was all I could do to stop myself from flipping him off).
Old 12-17-2016, 04:54 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecayenneS
White cars stick out and don't blend-in with any surroundings, same with white helmets on motorcyclists.

It just snowed about a foot here overnight. White cars completely disappear in these surroundings.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:04 PM
whitecayenneS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point but luckily that stuff doesn't stick around.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:24 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only about half of the year here. I would never buy a white vehicle in snow country. I choose mine to blend in with the color of a dry highway, that is when I want it to disappear into the surroundings.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:49 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Cops are people too, they get impatient. Also a pressure tactic, for some reason he suspect you of something and was trying to get you to speed up, act up, etc and a reason to pull you over.

Quick Reply: Police attention and Tickets in the Pig...