Sponsored by:

Interior LED lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 06:06 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Interior LED lights

For anyone wondering, the interior LED lighting in the 2017 GTS does not use a standard type of bulb inside. It's a circuit board designed for the housing with an LED soldered to it. I'd expect other model/recent years are using the same.

The part number on the complete assembly is 5G0.947.409

The circuit board inside did not appear to have a typical Porsche part number. A little bit of searching lead to a site making replacement PCBs for other VAG vehicles:

http://www.hypercolor.de/LED-Replace...VW-Audi-Module

Might be fun to have other colors instead of the startk white factory color.

I wondered about this as I'm looking into replacing the incandescent bulbs in the tailgate with LEDs. Those appear to be T10 style, but only about an inch long.
Attached Images   
Old 12-05-2016, 09:44 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Seeing as how these are common across various VAG brands, are there any other models with LED modules like this for the passenger door and tailgate red/white lights? Those have a wedge bulb, which I could replace with an LED, but I'd go with a factory LED unit if one existed.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

What are we looking at in the photos? They're nice photos, but without some explanation fairly useless.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:50 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

This is the footwell light assembly, taken apart. It's made with an LED soldered onto a circuit board and not the usual socket-and-bulb arrangement found in most past vehicle light setups. This rectangular one is found under the dashboard, shining down into the footwell. It's also the same unit in place under the seats illuminating the rear passenger footwell areas. It may also be the unit in the glovebox and other locations, I didn't pull them apart.

My curiosity here was based on wanting to figure out how to effectively replace the incandenscent (T10 194 wedge style) lights being used in the tailgate and door "puddle lights". Those have the more traditional style of lens cover, plug-in bulb and socket. I was wondering what the existing LEDs were using and discovered they're not just an LED bulb stuck in a traditional socket, but a whole circuit board.

This also means replacing them will likely be a fair bit more expensive, and vendor-specific, than plug-in style bulbs. Thankfully it's a common light used across VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat and Porsche brands (and others in the VAG lineup I suppose).

So now if anyone else comes searching for the 5G0.947.409 part number, door puddle lights, tailgate lights, LED replacements, T10, 194, wedge or other terms mentioned... they'll find more info that might help.

What I haven't yet found is the factory equivalent of an LED replacement for the tailgate/puddle light assembly. It's the same lighting assembly part number on all four doors and the tailgate. All six are 1K0 947 411 C. I'd like to know if there's a VAG replacement that uses a similar LED setup as the footwell lighting. Or if it's a wedge LED replacement.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:04 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Ok, so I discovered that nobody yet makes an LED-based replacement for the door/tailgate red/white light assembly. So I ordered some LED replacements and installed them into my '17 GTS. They arrived earlier today and I just took 10 minutes to install all four of them.

These were from Bold-Sport. These are the hyperwhite/red style.

http://www.bold-sport.com/store/inde...product_id=123

The 'hyperwhite' is basically the same 5000k shade of white as the rest of the factory LEDs. Interestingly the circuit board has both white and red LEDs on it. It's not just depending on the color the plastic to create the color. These only appear to fit one-way, which is fine as they worked perfectly.

The trick is knowing those red/white plastic lenses fit 'over' the base. There's small tabs on the base that fit indents in the lenses. You remove the lenses by pushing a plastic tool of some sort into the base, just under the lens. This will let the lens pop off. It's tough enough plastic, mine survived the drop. Re-installing the lens requires getting one side of the tabs over the base and then pushing the other side over the others. You could also pull the whole assembly out of the door card, it's just held in by spring-fit tabs.

Either way, just pull out the wedge bulb and put the replacement board into the socket. It's a 2 minute job per light.

The tailgate pictures didn't turn out as well, I'll try to take others. The amount of light doesn't seem any greater than the incandescent bulbs. Not as much of an improvement as the doors, the effect there is notably better.
Attached Images    
Old 01-03-2017, 10:35 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

A few weeks later and I can report one potential downside. Using brighter LEDs in provides better coverage of the cargo area but at the expense of having a really bright light shining at you right from where the hatch close button is located. Can't really take a good picture of the experience as the exposure just gets blown out. It's enough that I might see about possibly adding a small section of something to black out a strip of the white. I don't see going back to incandescents as I do like the whiter color.

Were there an option to close the hatch with the key or from the driver door this wouldn't be an issue. Or even if the button panel down on the right/lower side of the cargo area had a close button.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:30 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the tip. Got them installed and they work great. I bought mine from ebay @ $10 each (used, but as new), but you can buy them from any VW dealer.

Quick Reply: Interior LED lights