Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misha Widebody Cayenne 957 Turbo S Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 01:04 PM
nychase
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

See, I too want to be Pete....though I'm getting there. I don't have as much brand loyalty (only other P car is a SY 996 TTS coupe) nor the desire to customize each car but I do appreciate the attention to detail on literally every aspect of your life Pete. I'm more car collector than tinkerer but I suppose its all about the toys you have access to (lifts, jacks, PLASMA CUTTERS?!?!?, and endless storage). I'm also in the same boat where kids toys are fighting with extra wheels for garage space.

I really appreciate the informal tour...I will certainly be in contact.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Originally Posted by nychase
See, I too want to be Pete....though I'm getting there. I don't have as much brand loyalty (only other P car is a SY 996 TTS coupe) nor the desire to customize each car but I do appreciate the attention to detail on literally every aspect of your life Pete. I'm more car collector than tinkerer but I suppose its all about the toys you have access to (lifts, jacks, PLASMA CUTTERS?!?!?, and endless storage). I'm also in the same boat where kids toys are fighting with extra wheels for garage space.

I really appreciate the informal tour...I will certainly be in contact.
The Cayenne replaced the Infiniti, but kids' toys are the problem. I made up some ground when they traded in the Gator and Solstice for a Dirtbike and scooter, but then lost some back with the addition of a Greased Lightning Coaster Car, so still occupying too much of my space. I'm actually trying to buy the undeveloped property right next door in order to put up a 5 car garage as I'm out of space and neither of the 2 kids has an actual car yet I have a 1-car garage around the side that helps, but it's full too, usually with the 914, but sometimes the silver 911 in the winter.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:29 PM
nychase
Instructor

So then it comes as no surprise when I say that I currently have a 3 car attached and that I'm hoping to build a 40x50 two level that will be attached as well (the two will form an L). The key being the addition of the lower garage where I can put lifts across and store 10 cars, more if I go two deep. That would give Dad the upper garage for daily drivers (I've got a few and sadly the CTTS is low on that list in the summers) and work space like you have and give the existing 3 car for wifey and kids to fight over! Its that or a pole barn and a pole barn doesn't solve the attached storage problem
Old 12-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nychase
So then it comes as no surprise when I say that I currently have a 3 car attached and that I'm hoping to build a 40x50 two level that will be attached as well (the two will form an L). The key being the addition of the lower garage where I can put lifts across and store 10 cars, more if I go two deep. That would give Dad the upper garage for daily drivers (I've got a few and sadly the CTTS is low on that list in the summers) and work space like you have and give the existing 3 car for wifey and kids to fight over! Its that or a pole barn and a pole barn doesn't solve the attached storage problem
Well, now I want to be you...but not if I have to live in NY. Already did that.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:44 PM
nychase
Instructor

I lived in NY when I made this name and bought my CTTS last year. I've since moved (and it was the plan the whole time) to Wisconsin between Madison and Milwaukee.

I actually didn't own any cars for the 10 years I lived in NYC....what an awful existence. Thats why I asked about the garage because I am literally starting from scratch with not even a jack to my name and been using the Cayenne Air compressor for everything until I have a plan figured out.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:58 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Pete, I have said it before and I will say it again. You have one hell of an attention to detail and your garage sure is something to behold!
Old 12-19-2017, 01:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Mid-December Update:

They got the rear back together over the weekend. Rear bumper needs a slight lateral adjustment to make the gaps on both sides of the hatch even and the right exhaust tip needs some repositioning too, but with the spoiler back together and bumper on, you can start to see how it's going to look from certain views. The more body parts that get installed, the smaller and more sunken the OEM 21" wheels looks. Quick measurements today suggest even after changing to the 12" wide wheels with 315 tires, I'm going to need a 25-35mm spacer to get the stance right. I think in these pics, the car is sitting in Normal suspension mode, which means on the highway at speed or in Sport mode, it's going to look low, wide, and mean.

Last edited by Petza914; 01-10-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

While they're working on the front bumper, I've decided to upgrade the horns since I have good access to them. Put together a relay and supplemental wiring harness to install a Marco Hurricane & Marco Tornado - one on each side using the factory mounting points with some brackets I fabricated. These things are loud and will produce a blast with 3 different octaves, which makes it seem even louder. I used a single 80 Amp SPDT Relay that gets it's signal from the Driver's side horn wire, draws current from the jump post in the engine compartment through 10 gauge wire that's connected with a resettable inline 40A breaker. The instructions that come with the horns say to use their included relay, and that each horn needs a 20A fuse. Since I was hooking up two of them, figured a 40A breaker with a single heavy duty 80A relay was sufficient. Doing it this way I only had to tie into a single factory horn signal wire with a wire tap connector and then built a harness from the relay to both horns. It's completely reversible if for some reason I want to do that.

Pull out in front of me or drift into my lane and you're going to poo yourself when I blow the horn as you look for the fire truck that's riding on a train.

40A waterproof resettable inline breaker connected to jump post. I adhered it to the firewall with waterproof 3m velcro

Here's the Driver's side install. Wire tap from 12v + horn wire goes to relay trigger input - one output from the relay feeds each horn unit. The passenger side is essentially the same but with the other horn unit and no relay on that side.

Edit: adding the video with the horns sound to the horn post -

Last edited by Petza914; 10-22-2018 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added YouTube Video link with horn setup
Old 01-10-2018, 06:27 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Nice! Starting to look like a real car again. Do you have a friend with a forklift so that you can test the bump stops to be sure that your tires do not strike the top inside of the fender during articulation once you get your bigger wheels and spacers installed? It would be a shame to have all that meticulously installed and painted bodywork get junked when you pull up a steep driveway.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:45 PM
porsche911md
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brave! Nice!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nodoors
Nice! Starting to look like a real car again. Do you have a friend with a forklift so that you can test the bump stops to be sure that your tires do not strike the top inside of the fender during articulation once you get your bigger wheels and spacers installed? It would be a shame to have all that meticulously installed and painted bodywork get junked when you pull up a steep driveway.
It sure would. It seemed like when I looked into this that the tires on a Cayenne never actually go up into the wheelwells and are always below the fender lips, but your point about a bump when articulated is a good one. There are a number of guys running 22" wheels, many with spacers where the tires extend all the way to the edge of the stock fenders and they don't seem to hit (see pics in this thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-pictures.html). My thought was I'd put the car into loading height and if there was enough clearance for full articulation of the front wheels when set that low that even during full suspension travel it wouldn't get any closer when being driven, but maybe that's not an accurate assumption.

I inquired to the owner of the car in this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-body-kit.html) and he was running 45 and 50mm spacers with stock offsets, which will mirror pretty well where I'll end up, and he also had a Gemballa lowering module that would let him go even lower than stock. He didn't mention that he did anything with the bump stops - how do the bump stops work on an air suspension car?

How would I test this clearance issue with a forklift - put a strap around a sprung component on the chassis and around the fork and have the forklift pull the car down?
Old 01-10-2018, 10:53 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

I believe on the Cayenne the bumpstops are internal to the air struts, so it is not an easy thing to change.

The best method that I know is to pick up a tire on the front and then pick up one on the back. You have a great deal of control and can see exactly what the tires and fenders will do on maximum articulation. I don't have any pics of my own, but it definitely saved me on my last build when I was doing suspension mods on my classic truck. I had to get larger bump stops to avoid fender damage due to my wheel/tire combination. Below are some pics to show you what I am talking about. Same method, but testing for a different outcome. Clearly you are not worried about how much articulation you have and have no interest when the rear tire leaves the ground if the front is picked up - just that there won't be contact!!!

http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-v.../photo-44.html

I think it is smart to contact the few other people with similar setups, I just remembered you saying that you were going with oversized wheels and potentially a larger than stock diameter as well.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:42 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I believe on the Cayenne the bumpstops are internal to the air struts, so it is not an easy thing to change.

The best method that I know is to pick up a tire on the front and then pick up one on the back. You have a great deal of control and can see exactly what the tires and fenders will do on maximum articulation. I don't have any pics of my own, but it definitely saved me on my last build when I was doing suspension mods on my classic truck. I had to get larger bump stops to avoid fender damage due to my wheel/tire combination. Below are some pics to show you what I am talking about. Same method, but testing for a different outcome. Clearly you are not worried about how much articulation you have and have no interest when the rear tire leaves the ground if the front is picked up - just that there won't be contact!!!

http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-v.../photo-44.html

I think it is smart to contact the few other people with similar setups, I just remembered you saying that you were going with oversized wheels and potentially a larger than stock diameter as well.
Thanks. That's interesting. My Cayenne will never see an angle like that as it will rarely even see a dirt road once completed - maybe some snow if we're somewhere on a trip. I would be concerned about a higher speed corner with a mid-corner pothole or a large undulation on a bridge joint at high speed, though, especially if heavily loaded with people and cargo like on a trip.

With my 997 I have to have sharp ingress and egress angles in order to avoid scraping the front spoiler, which is not only lower, but also more forward than a stock 997 bumper. I installed a noselift kit to help with this and with the Cayenne's air suspension, I should be able to approach straighter by lifting the chassis so I don't see as much articulation or twisting as I do in the 997.

I specifically chose the 315/30 size because it has almost the exact same rolling circumference as the stock 295/35s do (only 3/8" taller - 1% larger), so I will be wider, which means further out, but not really significantly taller. Here's the comparison of the stock setup vs planned setup and why about a 25mm spacer would be the minimum I'd need to use for the additional width to place the inside edge in the stock position, which would mean the outer edge would be out 2" further than stock. Because of the front wheels needing to turn and clear, I doubt I'll be able to go out quite as far in the front as I can in the rear as suspension compression should increase negative camber so the rears should tuck inside the flares as they compress - it's the fronts I need to worry about.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:27 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

I hope I didn't cause you worry. You have clearly thought it all through and done your research very well. They will most likely clear the inside lip of the fender and/or the bumpstops will keep things safe, but the engineer in me says better safe than sorry. I figured you would probably never put this thing anywhere near a terrain park after all the time, money and effort, but who knows what random driveways and roadways will dish out sometimes!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

.... but the engineer in me says better safe than sorry.
I 100% agree and appreciate the thoughts from you and others that have far more experience with these vehicles than I do.

Quick Reply: Misha Widebody Cayenne 957 Turbo S Project