Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

957 vs 958 advantages? Buying advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
One thing to consider is the GTS final drive ratio is 4.10. Good for plenty of low end grunt, bad if you are primarily a highway driver.
Originally Posted by tresean1
I guess I was trying to figure out what he meant by bad for highway driving. Does he mean that this will mess something up, or I will experience where on the engine or transmission or something? Or does he mean bad in the sense of personal preference for someone who is really into the details of power delivery?
Well, technically, "final drive ratio" is the number of times the motor turns compared to the number of times the rear wheels turn.

It's commonly used in reference to the gears in the differential. Also called "rear end gearing", although there are both front and rear diffs in an all wheel drive car.
Not strictly true in the case of an overdrive transmission, but that's being a bit pedantic.

What it means by "bad for highway driving" is that the 4.10 diff gears mean that the driveshaft is turning 4 times for each time the wheels turn.
That's considered fairly low gearing. (higher numbers mean lower gearing)
My owner's manual for my 05 says the final drive is 3.70. That's more in the "reasonable" range.
Some of the 928s have 2.20 rear end gears. That's considered pretty high gearing.

As with any sort of gearing, you gain (or lose) torque through the mechanical advantage of the gearing while losing (or gaining) speed.

The 4.10 gears will mean the engine is turning faster for any given speed.

As was noted, it will be turning around 2800 at 60, vs about 2000 for my CTT.

The GTS will use more fuel, make more noise and experience a little bit more wear and tear.

In exchange for that, you get more "oomph" on takeoff and better acceleration. The higher geared CTT makes up for that by generating more power.

It's an entirely personal preference.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:40 PM
wongster
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm also looking to get a 957 GTS.
I've seen in other post that 958 models have problems with the transfer case. Does 957s have TC issues?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2018, 08:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by wongster
Hi everyone, I'm also looking to get a 957 GTS.
I've seen in other post that 958 models have problems with the transfer case. Does 957s have TC issues?

Thanks
Not very often. They have their own issues though. Can we assume you've read the stickies here and in the 958 forum about buying one?
Old 02-20-2022, 03:59 AM
Cuda4x4
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry, I may have worded my previous response weirdly/wrongly. What I was trying to ask was: are the outboard parts of the base/S/GTS seats not leather? I am fully aware that the middle of the seats is alcantara in a GTS; but in the 957 sales brochure, it mentions something to the effect of "leather on the seat backs and inboard portions on the seat bottoms"...which makes me think there is no leather on the outboard portion of the seats. Seemed like a strange way of Porsche's marketing team wording it, unless the outside portion of the seat (the outboard part of the seat cushion closest to the doors) is truly leatherette? I guess they did this for durability during ingress/egress? Can anyone confirm?I am in Virginia, so not many pre-owned GTS's (or Cayennes, period, for that matter) on the market here. And I certainly don't want to deal with the snobby ****** at my local Porsche dealership.I think there are only like 20 957 GTS's for sale in the whole country. :-(
I own a 2009 cayenne GTS with leather/alcantara . The whole seat material is leather as far as I can tell, but the Alcantara doesn't wear well in the long run...it pills and starts to shed with constant enter, egress and a bit of squirming to find the sweet spot!
As far as the (car) truck? itself is concerned, with regular oil changes of a premium quality full synthetic oil like REDLINE 0/40, these engines just keep going! Mine currently has 212K miles on the clock and is just now starting to use too much oil for my taste....just some information from a happy owner.. I'm currently looking at a 2011 Cayenne S in great condition with the upgraded steering wheel that IMHO looks and feels better, plus the seats are much nicer with cooled as well as heated seats. Plus with the display being at the top of the console/ dash, it eliminates the need to look down and take youreyes off the road.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:00 AM
Cuda4x4
Cruisin'

Sorry, I may have worded my previous response weirdly/wrongly. What I was trying to ask was: are the outboard parts of the base/S/GTS seats not leather? I am fully aware that the middle of the seats is alcantara in a GTS; but in the 957 sales brochure, it mentions something to the effect of "leather on the seat backs and inboard portions on the seat bottoms"...which makes me think there is no leather on the outboard portion of the seats. Seemed like a strange way of Porsche's marketing team wording it, unless the outside portion of the seat (the outboard part of the seat cushion closest to the doors) is truly leatherette? I guess they did this for durability during ingress/egress? Can anyone confirm?I am in Virginia, so not many pre-owned GTS's (or Cayennes, period, for that matter) on the market here. And I certainly don't want to deal with the snobby ****** at my local Porsche dealership.I think there are only like 20 957 GTS's for sale in the whole country. :-(
I own a 2009 cayenne GTS with leather/alcantara . The whole seat material is leather as far as I can tell, but the Alcantara doesn't wear well in the long run...it pills and starts to shed with constant enter, egress and a bit of squirming to find the sweet spot!
As far as the (car) truck? itself is concerned, with regular oil changes of a premium quality full synthetic oil like REDLINE 0/40, these engines just keep going! Mine currently has 212K miles on the clock and is just now starting to use too much oil for my taste....just some information from a happy owner.. I'm currently looking at a 2011 Cayenne S in great condition with the upgraded steering wheel that IMHO looks and feels better, plus the seats are much nicer with cooled as well as heated seats. Plus with the display being at the top of the console/ dash, it eliminates the need to look down and take your eyes off the road.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:21 AM
Cuda4x4
Cruisin'

Default Reply to gnat 13307651

Originally Posted by gnat
If you want a real SUV, get the 957 over the 958.

It's D pillar is more vertical which gives you more room in the back.

The glass on the hatch opens independently of the hatch itself.

And the rear seats fold completely flat.

Not utility related, but the number of buttons I. The 958 is over the top in my opinion.

Those are the big things that drive me nuts about my 958, but overall I love it.

The 958's styling is a bit more Asian so that may appeal to your wife given what you've said.

If you look at a base V6, the 958 is the better option as its lighter and that makes a big difference for the motor. It's a great motor on both platforms (VW's VR6 if you aren't aware), but it definitely feels better in the 958. Being VW's motor it is cheaper to get it worked on since you can buy the VW branded parts and can get a VW shop to work on it.

Of those that you listed if they were all the same price, go with the GTS. The MPG will not be great, but it's the best of the bunch for the sports car feel you seem to want while still being a great SUV.
The rear seats on the 957 gts and other models, do not fold completely flat! Because of the seat shapes and bolsters, they only fol down about 75 to 80%! I own a 2009 GTS and this is one thing I found out while trying to take a nap during a long trip...not a good rest because I carry too much stuff in the back and never carry more than two passengers, usually only myself and my wife.

Quick Reply: 957 vs 958 advantages? Buying advice needed.