Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne S 2006 - Possible Head gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:07 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

5thlilpiggy - interesting link. It's a shame we don't know if the engine ever ran correctly again. One of those guys..
Old 05-11-2016, 12:50 AM
5thlilpiggy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
5thlilpiggy - interesting link. It's a shame we don't know if the engine ever ran correctly again. One of those guys..
Looks like ya took care of it
Old 05-11-2016, 01:56 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by 5thlilpiggy
Looks like ya took care of it
I guess we'll see if he ever replies..

Just went and looked - he did reply:

Car is up and running. The problem never was with the head gasket. All there was wrong was the oil cooler from the beginning. Could i have saved me some time. I rewarded her with a open air intake. She is my daily driver now. Runs good but i should change the oil from the difs and the transfer case. Never have the time. I have even bought another Cayenne S. A totalled 06. People come all the time looking for parts so why not buy this totalled one i guessed. I needed some small stuff from it anyway. Taking it apart as we speak.
So he did a LOT of work and spent a lot of money for nothing - based on some Internet diagnosis'. IE - worst case scenarios. I always look for the best-case scenario first - it helps me sleep at night.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:09 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by jenxo
Now I will try find a trustworthy local German Auto mechanic.
You might want to add info to your profile so we know where you're located - someone local to you may be able to help in recommending a good German auto mechanic.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:54 AM
Jeroen Pipelers
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also keep your money in your pocket. Start your car and keep it running with ac off. Wait until you hear the fan coming on. Now you now water is hot. Look under the car. Do you see water falling? If yes you have a big coolant leak.

I guess you need a new coolant expansion reservoir. Get one one Ebay for $50 ( i have 2 lying around) and have this installed by your so called mechanic. Will take less then 30 minutes if he does not break any hoses. There is also the coolant pipes but don't worry about them because your car already had the alu ones. Thank me later.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:16 AM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

@jenxo- I discovered these instructional tech articles at Pelican Parts thanks to the good people on this forum. Click here and have a look. then scroll down to "Water Cooling System" and check out all of the articles. I followed the instructions in the "Coolant Expansion Tank Replacement" article with great success. Who knew you had to start by removing the headlight assembly? Even if you don't have either the time, facilities, or desire to do your own wrenching, its worth the read just to be more informed so you can better communicate with your mechanic. Most importantly, find a good Porsche Mechanic in your area and take your car in for servicing just to start building that relationship.

Last edited by CTTS520; 05-11-2016 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-11-2016, 11:51 AM
jfort
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

In about 1986, I had coolant getting into combustion on a 79 BMW7. I got some of that shredded paper stuff for such leaks and followed the directions. Flushed, filled, put it in, got it hot, flushed again and filled. I tightened the head bolts a little. The car ran for years without a problem and I sold it to a friend who drove it for years.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:20 PM
jenxo
AutoX

CTTS520 -Great advice. Thanks so much.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by jfort
In about 1986, I had coolant getting into combustion on a 79 BMW7. I got some of that shredded paper stuff for such leaks and followed the directions. Flushed, filled, put it in, got it hot, flushed again and filled. I tightened the head bolts a little. The car ran for years without a problem and I sold it to a friend who drove it for years.
GM used to have an official brand they sold - cellulose basically - when they were having problems with porous blocks. It worked well on weepy leaks on BMWs (like the stupid hose fittings going to the heated intake manifold on one..) Just couldn't use too much, don't want it plugging up things where water is supposed to flow. The idea is the cellulose hardened up when exposed to air, so when it got to a leak, it would start flowing to the outside world, see air, harden up and plug the leak.

Actually not a bad idea.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:06 PM
jenxo
AutoX

Default Maybe HEATER CORE is a factor ?

Originally Posted by CTTS520
@jenxo- I discovered these instructional tech articles at Pelican Parts thanks to the good people on this forum. Click here and have a look. then scroll down to "Water Cooling System" and check out all of the articles. I followed the instructions in the "Coolant Expansion Tank Replacement" article with great success. Who knew you had to start by removing the headlight assembly? Even if you don't have either the time, facilities, or desire to do your own wrenching, its worth the read just to be more informed so you can better communicate with your mechanic. Most importantly, find a good Porsche Mechanic in your area and take your car in for servicing just to start building that relationship.
My 153,000 Mile, Cayenne S (2006) was leaking a lot of coolant.
I kept topping it up for a week or two, till I could get it over to my mechanic
When I took it in for him to check if it was a leaking hose or such. On drive in, I was following it, and I noticed some white smoke ( looked like steam) coming from both exhausts.

My mechanic just called and says he believes it is a gasket issue, and recommends I take to Porsche expert.

Need your expert opinions guys...
What options do I have ? Is this worth repairing, or sell as-is.

Looks like blue-book is $7,000-$8,500. ( I bough it 3 years ago for $16k)

I need to add this detail :
When I purchased the '06 in 2013, I was told by the previous owner that it may need a heater core replacement. Over the last year, the heat has not been working, and some friends have told me the "heater core" is bad. I'm really not technical, and will have to research what this heater core actually is and does, but it is starting to sound like a factor.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:07 PM
jenxo
AutoX

Just got the car back from mechanic ( he didn't want to tackle a Porsche)
I don't see any smoke. I checked oil on dipstick and opened the oil cap on engine top and don't see any "milkshake".
Water does leak from under that main area. (Right side of engine compartment/passenger side)
Mechanic says he looked for cracked coolant tank and didn't see any leaking from it. He says it is possible it is from another pipe "back there".
This is sounding very promising. ( meaning it may not be blown head gasket after all)

Now I will try find a trustworthy local German Auto mechanic.

I need to add this detail :
When I purchased the '06 in 2013, I was told by the previous owner that it may need a heater core replacement. Over the last year, the heat has not been working, and some friends have told me the "heater core" is bad. I'm really not technical, and will have to research what this heater core actually is and does, but it is starting to sound like a factor.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:00 AM
deilenberger
Banned

The heater core is a small radiator like device in the HVAC system. Hot coolant from the engine is circulated through it and air is blown though it - and the result - warm/hot air is used to heat the cabin.

Most cars the vehicle is basically built around the heater core - suspended in space and the car assembled around it (especially old Volvo 140/240 series.) That means it isn't easy or inexpensive to replace.

Since it's been about 3 years since you purchased it - and I assume the leaking just started the correlation between the leak and the heater core needing replacement isn't altogether damning to me.

The first step I'd take is to get the car up on a lift and SEE where the coolant is leaking down.

Usually if a heater core springs a leak - the inside of the windshield will fog up and get a slimy anti-freeze coating on it - and it will really stink like coolant. It's generally pretty obvious. I think even not being "technical" you might have noticed this happening.

Lets get the location of the leak narrowed down before wandering off into guess-land.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:55 PM
jenxo
AutoX

This is the end of the story...

I installed a new battery from PEP boys ( 2 year 9 months under warranty free replacement. Was a BOSCH). It is under the drivers seat, and had to buy a tool wrench tip :XZN Triple Square Bit Socket.
Car had been sitting for 2 weeks, waiting for a mobile mechanic to come by.
Once I put the battery in, I noticed The coolant leak almost stopped completely. I still had to fill the reservoir and top it up weekly, but 80% less loss.
I have no idea what it was. Maybe the heat ( got up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit here), or something. No idea.
Seemed like the perfect time to sell it, so I did. Was running just fine, and told the new buyer about it.

Thanks to the fabulous and sharing contributors. God bless you all.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Douglas61
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the information. I am a newbie here, recently bought a 2008 V6 Cayenne with 57k miles. I notice some white smoke from the two tailpipes at stop as well, no smell at all. My coolant consumption is about 50mL over 1500 miles. Both the oil and coolant caps look normal. I couldn't see oil or milk on the coolant reservoir either. Could that be the worse, a broken head gasket? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Douglas61
Thanks guys for the information. I am a newbie here, recently bought a 2008 V6 Cayenne with 57k miles.
You probably want to start your own new thread - your V6 is very different from V8 discussed here.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S 2006 - Possible Head gasket leak