Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Gen Turbo Transmission/Throttle Issue(s)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 07:31 PM
gheetow
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen Turbo Transmission/Throttle Issue(s)

So, I know I'm not the first to complain about this, but my '05 Turbo can be VERY slow to respond/accelerate when I step on the gas from a moving start.

At least part of the problem is that it likes to cruise around at least a gear or two higher than it should, i.e. 5th gear at a steady 25-30mph on flat ground. As a result, it feels like the engine is always lugging and it takes a few seconds for the tach to move appreciably and/or for the transmission to shift down under acceleration, even if I step on the gas quite hard.

For what it's worth, I've noticed that turning off PSM greatly improves the situation (if only because gears are held much longer), but I don't think I can drive around with PSM off all the time. Shifting down manually helps a little, but it's pretty cumbersome, to say the least. Ditto for "blipping" the transmission.

I've heard about the learning transmission and I've tried driving very aggressively from time to time to reset the shifting pattern, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Has anyone been able to fix this? Think an issue with the wheel speed sensor or throttle body could be the problem? Maybe a DME upgrade would help?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Jay
Old 05-06-2016, 07:47 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

This has been covered before in depth if you do a search for throttle response. Your right about PSM off improving it. Some tunes improve it a bit besides the extra power. I have a '06CTTS and got the Eurocharged tune and it improved it but...it still is kind of poor. I've heard that the Sprint Booster improves it but I can't seem to justify spending $300 on something that doesn't actually give me anymore power to see how well it improves the throttles response.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:58 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been driving a couple different 957's and when compared to my 955 the difference is very real, especially with sport mode engaged on the 957.
The 955 can take off like a rocket, but not after commuting. It would much prefer to give you 2-3 seconds to really decide if you want to unleash hell.

I got into the habit of driving with manual gear selection, by that I mean moving the shifter for shifting, not just using the tips when in drive, especially tooling around town. It takes a little bit of playing for the shift timing to become second nature, but really provides a more lively experience.
Note: even if you forget you're actually in manual mode, it won't let you blow things up. Upshifting before redline and downshifting for you if you forget.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can drive the car all week like you stole it and you'll eventually see some improvement but very little. If anything, within a few days after of normal driving, it will start lagging again. The only cure is a re-flash of the tranny's ECM.

I make it a habit to request a re-flash every time I bring the P!g in for an oil change. Since the PIWIS is already plugged in to reset the oil reminder message, it takes less than a minute to do this and most honest dealers will not charge for this service. After performing this procedure, drive aggressively (but safely) so that you can teach your P!g to shift in a sportier fashion.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:24 PM
gheetow
Track Day

Thanks for the info/ideas. I just find this supremely frustrating... I can't believe I'm suffering such terrible reliability, obscene repair costs, and ridiculous mpg when my 4 cylinder accord with twice the mileage would easily beat it over any 20mph interval (starting from 15mph to 60mph+).

Porsche should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:03 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The transmission mapping is really my only big complaint with the car. I can be coming out of a 15 mph sweeper and I'm in 3rd gear getting passed by other cars with my foot sinking further and further into the gas pedal with nothing happening.

Few things to know to help get around it. Double clicking the downshift button on the steering wheel rapidly to downshift two gears, and it'll skip the middle gear all together. So, if you're in 6th, and you need to drop to 4th, clicking the downshift button fast will bypass 5th gear. Clicking it slow, and you'll go from 6th, 5th, and then 4th. The kick down button at the end of the gas pedal drops instantly to whatever the lowest gear you can safely do at your present speed.

I'm not all that interested in chipping the car for more power, but if someone came out with a TIP chip, I'd be all over that.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:05 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
The transmission mapping is really my only big complaint with the car. I can be coming out of a 15 mph sweeper and I'm in 3rd gear getting passed by other cars with my foot sinking further and further into the gas pedal with nothing happening.

Few things to know to help get around it. Double clicking the downshift button on the steering wheel rapidly to downshift two gears, and it'll skip the middle gear all together. So, if you're in 6th, and you need to drop to 4th, clicking the downshift button fast will bypass 5th gear. Clicking it slow, and you'll go from 6th, 5th, and then 4th. The kick down button at the end of the gas pedal drops instantly to whatever the lowest gear you can safely do at your present speed.

I'm not all that interested in chipping the car for more power, but if someone came out with a TIP chip, I'd be all over that.
Yeah, I understand the sport button on the 957 basically disregards the learned map and put it into aggressive mode. I'm somewhat surprised the aftermarket hasn't figured out how to retrofit that functionality into our 955s.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:07 AM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gheetow
Thanks for the info/ideas. I just find this supremely frustrating... I can't believe I'm suffering such terrible reliability, obscene repair costs, and ridiculous mpg when my 4 cylinder accord with twice the mileage would easily beat it over any 20mph interval (starting from 15mph to 60mph+).

Porsche should be ashamed of themselves.
If your CTT is accelerating so poorly that it draws comparisons to a 4 cyl Accord, then I offer my sympathies and I hope you can eventually get it dialed in because that is not the norm.
Start with all new coils and plugs.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:57 PM
gheetow
Track Day

I just did new plugs and coils, and it accelerates pretty well once it finds the right gear and the tach starts to move, but that often takes a legitimate 2-3 seconds which makes it much slower than my accord over any 5 second interval of acceleration...

Quick Reply: 1st Gen Turbo Transmission/Throttle Issue(s)