Android app for 955 transmission temp

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 09:33 PM
bri3d
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android app for 955 transmission temp

Hi all,

I recently replaced my transmission fluid and figured I would make a handy utility to help out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tter.kwplogger

This is an Android app which works in conjunction with the cheap, widely available "ELM327 Bluetooth OBD" readers available on Amazon and elsewhere.

Using the app should be as easy as pairing your ELM327 in the Android Settings app, turning your key all the way on, then opening this app and pressing "Connect." It's essential you remember to turn the key on first, so the ECU is awake.

It should help you replace your transmission fluid. It's handy since it's wireless -no need to fiddle with a thermocouple or worrying about where to aim an IR thermometer while you're stuck pumping fluid under the car

It connects to the 955's transmission computer over KWP2000 on the K-Line and reads out the first value in Local Identifier Measurement Group 6, which is the ATF temperature. This is the same value Durametric and the factory PIWIS tool display. You can also find it in VCDS-Lite by connecting to the Transmission, visiting Basic Measurements, and choosing Group 6.

This app will also read various values from the ECUs in the car - if you open "Measurements" from the menu, you should be able to fetch the values you'd get using the "Basic Measurements" section of VCDS or "Actual Values" in Durametric. The conversion lookup functions aren't quite complete, though, and because of the limitations of cheap ELM327 Bluetooth adapters, the readouts are painstakingly slow compared to VCDS or Durametric.

I have no financial interest in this application. There are no ads, it costs no money, and the source code is available here under the BSD license: https://github.com/bri3d/kwp-android-logger .

You may find the files in app/src/main/java/com/brianledbetter/kwplogger/KWP2000 useful to you if you're a Java programmer - they've been made to be abstract enough that Android isn't necessary and could be useful for a Linux car computer project or elsewhere.

That also means I make no promises about any future features, suitability for any purpose, warranty it won't blow your car up immediately, etc.

I do plan to add more features, though.. My current roadmap is in this order: P-code read/clear, label file support so you can understand what the measurement values mean, attempt to speed up measurements, attempt to learn how to reset service indicator (may not be possible with ELM327 due to use of K2-line, not sure yet), CSV datalogging, real-time graphs. I may also add support for later model years over the CAN-bus / TP2.0 protocol, but as I don't own a car to test on, those may prove more difficult for me

But again, if life gets in the way, I might never touch it again. Seriously, no guarantees.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:34 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Very nice! Just downloaded it. Will be looking for the ELM dongle.

Thanks much!
Old 01-05-2016, 12:41 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for posting this. Very cool stuff. There's a whole world of DME tinkering that's largely unexplored in the Cayenne versus some other cars.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:14 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So Android only?

Not IOS compatible? What does it take to make it IOS compatible?
Old 03-02-2016, 01:15 AM
AndyJoseph
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to learn java

how to learn java.

Quick Reply: Android app for 955 transmission temp