Sponsored by:

Cardan Shaft suggestions, please

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 PM
FCS
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
How much flex was there in the shaft before you mounted it? It should more-or-less flop around like a rag doll. If the rebuilt shaft wasn't assembled correctly there won't be enough play, and when the torque goes up under hard acceleration it will do that.
Thanks for responding

There was a lot of flex in the rebuilt shaft, even when installing I could bend it into position. What I didn't realize was the bracket for the center support bearing had to be installed in the same exact position. Still, I figure the shaft shouldn't be hitting the trans tunnel since the new bearing should keep it from banging correct?

I'm on my 2nd rebuilt shaft, wondering if I should bite the bullet and just buy a new OEM one....
Old 12-21-2015, 03:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by FCS
Thanks for responding

There was a lot of flex in the rebuilt shaft, even when installing I could bend it into position. What I didn't realize was the bracket for the center support bearing had to be installed in the same exact position. Still, I figure the shaft shouldn't be hitting the trans tunnel since the new bearing should keep it from banging correct?

I'm on my 2nd rebuilt shaft, wondering if I should bite the bullet and just buy a new OEM one....
What you may want to do is ask here if anyone has the alignment block used to center the shaft in the tunnel. Or look into purchasing one from Porsche. Having the bearing out of alignment is going to lead to rapid failure of the rubber support.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:04 PM
FCS
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger
What you may want to do is ask here if anyone has the alignment block used to center the shaft in the tunnel. Or look into purchasing one from Porsche. Having the bearing out of alignment is going to lead to rapid failure of the rubber support.
You're right, just got underneath the car, adjusted the bracket and the center shaft bearing support, much better, less vibration, but there's still vibration. Leads me to believe it's just an adjustment issue.

I'll create another thread looking for the tool, would you know the part # of the tool by any chance? Might as well buy it at this point....

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

The 'by hand' method suggested (and that I used) was to loosen the bolts, give the shaft a good shake, and tighten it where it lands.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:39 AM
Villian
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

*Cough* Buy a one piece shaft *Cough*

But really...
Old 09-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Silverbullet404
2nd Gear

Change it yourself in 45 minutes. Vertex two piece. You dont have to remove the driveshaft from the car! Remove support bracket. Push the old steel ring off. Cut with any type of cutting tool, an electric drill with a carbide wheel works just fine. Clean off the area. Install the new two piece part by bolting it together per instructions. Replace Support Bracket....check your work. Zoooooom! Cost, $395. Who knows it may even be better than the OEM replacement which if installed by a dealer is a $1500.00 repair. Ouch!
Old 09-07-2016, 12:51 AM
mhollack
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverbullet404
Change it yourself in 45 minutes. Vertex two piece. You dont have to remove the driveshaft from the car! Remove support bracket. Push the old steel ring off. Cut with any type of cutting tool, an electric drill with a carbide wheel works just fine. Clean off the area. Install the new two piece part by bolting it together per instructions. Replace Support Bracket....check your work. Zoooooom! Cost, $395. Who knows it may even be better than the OEM replacement which if installed by a dealer is a $1500.00 repair. Ouch!

What he said. Just did this myself after dealer said boot was starting to crack while inspecting other issues. They wanted $2200 parts and labor for a new driveshaft. Spent the $400 for the Vertex/EPS permanent solution and took me under an hour to replace it myself.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:15 AM
Silverbullet404
2nd Gear

Dealer charges on repairs are out of control. Porsche, Audi and VW must be trying to make up lost profits from the TDI problems by ripping off customers for repairs.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:50 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

If only Porsche thought enough to mold four cross-webbings of urethane, over all the folds of the rubber support bushing... the Cardan Shaft would simply be a non-issue today...

Quick Reply: Cardan Shaft suggestions, please