New here and new Cayenne owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 02:05 AM
toolsinbox
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and new Cayenne owner

Hi folks.
Going to take possession of an 08 non turbo 3.6L 86 k.... for my bride. Never owned a Porsche but my wife has been dreaming of one for years. Went to look at crossovers and she fell hard for this unit.
Sand interior and moonroof seem really well put together.
I have to admit that I am a bit intimidated with respect to servicing this car. I am an excellent wrencher but have not worked on a Porsche ever! I almost never like others working on my cars or trucks so I need to get up to speed on whats what and get ready to keep this thing in top shape.
One of the upgrades i will want to perform fairly soon is to put a stock nav. system in. I will be looking for threads on that but I am now looking at all the maintenance threads to get a feel for the road ahead. I purchased a 4 year warranty, that covers just about everything, mainly out of fright. The drive train on this may be out of my wheelhouse if something goes wrong. Brakes, fluids, and minor stuff should be ok so I will start there.
There are alot of features on this car that I have no idea how to even operate such as sport mode and the rest of the buttons that must do something fun !
Anyway I thank you all in advance for your patience, wisdom and assistance as I embark on this learning curve.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:25 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Really no harder to work on than most other cars. Many DIY on here, pelican and renntech.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:55 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by toolsinbox
Hi folks.
Going to take possession of an 08 non turbo 3.6L 86 k.... for my bride. Never owned a Porsche but my wife has been dreaming of one for years. Went to look at crossovers and she fell hard for this unit.
Sand interior and moonroof seem really well put together.
I have to admit that I am a bit intimidated with respect to servicing this car. I am an excellent wrencher but have not worked on a Porsche ever! I almost never like others working on my cars or trucks so I need to get up to speed on whats what and get ready to keep this thing in top shape.
One of the upgrades i will want to perform fairly soon is to put a stock nav. system in. I will be looking for threads on that but I am now looking at all the maintenance threads to get a feel for the road ahead. I purchased a 4 year warranty, that covers just about everything, mainly out of fright. The drive train on this may be out of my wheelhouse if something goes wrong. Brakes, fluids, and minor stuff should be ok so I will start there.
There are alot of features on this car that I have no idea how to even operate such as sport mode and the rest of the buttons that must do something fun !
Anyway I thank you all in advance for your patience, wisdom and assistance as I embark on this learning curve.
For what it's worth, that specific car is 100% VW, mechanically speaking. It's a VW VR6 motor, tranny is the same as the touareg, the only thing that is Porsche is the body and interior. That motor has been used in a lot of VW cars and is well established and supported.

Read the manual, and you'll know about 98% of what you need to know about the car.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:05 PM
toolsinbox
4th Gear

Hey thanks guys.
I am trying to learn all the acronyms here but it will take some time. GTS. CTTC. PSO. Lots to learn lol.
Is there any hard and fast rules as to what models I should ignore as it relates to our non turbo car? I need some help understanding what posts here do not apply. So far I can see that the plastic coolant pipes are not applicable in our case. I will get there... Any heads up is appreciated.
Also is there a thread that shows the RPO codes ? I have our build sheet and want to compare. I would like to verify the options etc.

Great site. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:11 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ignore anything related to a V8 motor. The V8 motors are Porsche made, where the V6 is a VW motor - same one that's in the Touareg and any other VW that takes a VR6 motor. They have no relationship to each other.

The only things that will apply to you are interior stuff, brakes, and the drivetrain. All the Cayenne and Touaregs, regardless of motor, share the same basic drivetrain layout and components. Slightly different ratios and internal differences, but same principle.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything that doesn't have a Porsche motor hahahaha.

Originally Posted by toolsinbox
Is there any hard and fast rules as to what models I should ignore as it relates to our non turbo car?
Old 10-14-2015, 03:36 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist! If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask and enjoy!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-14-2015, 10:00 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is nothing about these pigs that makes them harder to work on than other modern vehicles.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:34 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Welcome. You will find all the info you need to keep it up properly on here, Pelican and a few other places.

Don't be intimidated by the crest on the hood. It's just parts bolted to parts, like every other car out there.

Post pics when it arrives. Yes, we know what a Cayenne looks like. We don't care. We want to see pics of yours.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:21 PM
toolsinbox
4th Gear

Thanks for the welcome. Lots of great info on here.

We picked up her baby on Friday night and its in our garage !
A quick story you may find kinda funny:
Keeping in mind we bought from a non Porsche dealer, I took her to work Friday morning so she could drive her car home. I took the afternoon off so I could stop by the Porsche dealer and pick up some swag as a gift for her to celebrate. I went in and immediately saw a perfect die cast replica of her car and a really nice watch ! I introduced myself to the drop dead gorgeous receptionist and said I wanted the model car and the watch that were in nice Porsche gift boxes. She search high and low for the keys and finally got the display case open and rang up the items. She said "12 ninety nine please".. I said " excuse me? Is that watch a toy ?" She said " No 12 hundred and ninety nine dollars "! Well this is where my face musta went a few shades of red and my uncontrollable Homer Simpson impersonation went into high gear I said " my wife would kill me if I spent that much !"
The girl was very kind and helped me pick my jaw off the floor and sold me just the model for 80 buks, she found a thin Porsche ribbon and did the box all up for me. She threw in a few Porsche water bottles and I trundled off to my truck three bags full. My wife loves the model and all went very well. Anyway I made a friend.
I do have a question.
The dealer could not re set the service meter and told us we had to take it to a Porsche service center. Is there a way I can re set it as all the fluids were done on Friday?

Much thanks and I will post pics later today.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:36 PM
toolsinbox
4th Gear

Here is a pic of my bride in her new ride
Old 10-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

She looks very happy.

Congrats to her.

And to you. I have a feeling you scored some major points with that purchase.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:45 AM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats ....Enjoy welcome.That's a cool color.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:25 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

I LOVE that color,.... and more importantly I love the SMILE on the face that's DRIVING that color!!

Congrats. Well done (for putting the watch back in the display case)

Quick Reply: New here and new Cayenne owner