Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19" wheel fitment over Turbo S brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:22 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 19" wheel fitment over Turbo S brakes?

I have made an offer to buy an 04 Cayenne Turbo. It has the larger Turbo S brakes fitted. Can't find anything definitive in the subject, but have read rumblings that some 19" OE wheels do fit. I downloaded a copy of the 06 Turbo S brochure, and it shows the two 20" wheel designs from that era that fit, the Sport Techno and the Cayenne Sport Design, or whatever it's called. So I figure those will fit, of course, and I'm guessing that 957/958 larger wheels will also clear, but the brochure doesn't mention 19s. Anyone have definitive knowledge of the subject? Even though it's not even mid July, I have to start thinking about winter wheels and tires because around here, we may have snow in October!
Old 07-14-2015, 11:26 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

I guess the question can be more aptly phrased as "does the 19" Cayenne Design wheel fit over the Turbo S brakes?"
Old 07-15-2015, 12:00 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a Turbo S, and while I for one have never tried the 19" My understanding is that is the smallest you could go.

May I ask why you are going that small? Winter wheels?

I did the same thing, was looking at 19" but tire selection was slim to none, so I ended up going 20" for winter wheels. 21" is also odd ball, so again the summers and winters seem to be the only thing in that size, no all season.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:08 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Yup, just looking at winter wheels and tires. I'm not keen on 21s, the tire selection is rather limited. The car currently sits on 22s, and I would rather go smaller from there actually.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:34 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

I have an 06 Turbo S with 20" sport technos. For winters I got a set of 19" design wheels. 9" wide offset 60. Got them off ebay for $109 each shipped. This is what they look like. Lots of them on ebay. I confirmed with the Calgary dealer to make sure they would work. Sure enough they fit over the big front brakes.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2015, 01:45 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes, the Sport Technos (20"x9" frt & 20"x10" rear) were standard on the CTTS but the Sport design wheels in 19" were offered as Winter wheels.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:56 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Excellent, thanks for the responses!

Ideally, if I get this Cayenne, I'd like to downsize to 19s for winter, possibly 20s, and then 20s again for the summer too. We'll see though, but I am glad to find that the 19s do fit.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:59 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

I had 20" blizzaks on my 05 CTT. A little squirrily in the slush, so I am going with these on my 06. Likely put some studded hakkapellittas on them. Haven't fully decided yet. For summers I have 20" sport technos. The car came with 22,s which I did not like at all. Part of the problem was they were cheap wheels with cheap nexen roadian HP tires. Bad combo. Not sure you would like the 22's for Edmonton and some of those truck eating potholes?
Old 07-15-2015, 10:33 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

As far as 19" wheels fitting I said they were a winter option on the CTTS and E81 performance package but just like 20" not all will necessarily fit due to spoke design and offset. There is even a TSB saying don't use the earlier 2003~2004 Sport Technos or Sport Design wheels on the Turbo S or E81 performance package Turbos. So same looking wheels but a slightly different offset or spoke curve to clear the Rotors and/or Calipers. My 21" BBS RXII wheels will not clear the front calipers without at least a 5mm spacer.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Well, looks like I will hunt for the 19" Cayenne Design wheels to be safe. If those for sure will clear the Turbo S brakes, I'm good. I get it re: spoke design. In my old S2000, the Enkei RPF1 wheels I had on it were like that. I had A Stoptech big brake kit on the car. The RPF1s in 17x9 for the rears wouldn't fit over the front brakes if I tried to put them there, but the 17x8s would.

I think the 22s on the car are Ruger Mesh wheels. Still not completely sold on them. In a perfect world I'd have two sets of 20" Sport Technos, but I've never seen those for sale locally.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:46 AM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was the E81 power kit available for in '04? Might be why it has the Turbo S brakes
Old 07-16-2015, 01:21 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Yes it was available. He needs to check the option sticker by the spare tire or amp. Also in the Original Owners manual if available. The TSB for the E81 power kit was originally dated 1/05 not sure if there was an earlier one (latest for 955 is 7/05 revision) but it states as of MY2003. So even if the power kit wasn't available as an option it may have been retrofitted later. An ECU scan with Durametric may show the right part number as the next almost easiest would be a check of the Intercoolers part #. Or it may just be someone did the Brakes, what size is the rear Brakes? E81/CTTS have 356mm Rotors, about the same size as a Regular 955 Turbo's front rotors.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:21 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Nope, sorry to disappoint, no E81 powerkit! In fact, the sticker in the trunk shows 1LM - front disc brakes, 18", red calipers, and 1KZ - rear disc brakes, 17", red calipers. The seller (a cool, youngish late 20s lady) doesn't know much about it, I think she and her husband bought it because she liked it due to it being murdered out, but that's speculation. She remarked that the previous owner modified it, and hence the secondary cat delete, IPD plenum, built in radar detector, I think there's a tune on there, plus the 22s and the blacked out exterior trim.

Indeed, the car has a very basic load, missing a bunch of features I'd really like, like alcantara headliner and the rear quarter sun shades. But the car shows very well, and does have Porsche Entry and Drive, which is nice. Also, the Kessy system had some work done on it, which is cool too. And I don't have to deal with a used car dealership and salesmen, nicer to buy privately, not to mention the sales tax that would be incurred.

The car goes in for PPI next Wednesday, if it turns out nice I'll get it and then I'll do a separate post with more details.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Nope, sorry to disappoint, no E81 powerkit! In fact, the sticker in the trunk shows 1LM - front disc brakes, 18", red calipers, and 1KZ - rear disc brakes, 17", red calipers. The seller (a cool, youngish late 20s lady) doesn't know much about it, I think she and her husband bought it because she liked it due to it being murdered out, but that's speculation. She remarked that the previous owner modified it, and hence the secondary cat delete, IPD plenum, built in radar detector, I think there's a tune on there, plus the 22s and the blacked out exterior trim.

Indeed, the car has a very basic load, missing a bunch of features I'd really like, like alcantara headliner and the rear quarter sun shades. But the car shows very well, and does have Porsche Entry and Drive, which is nice. Also, the Kessy system had some work done on it, which is cool too. And I don't have to deal with a used car dealership and salesmen, nicer to buy privately, not to mention the sales tax that would be incurred.

The car goes in for PPI next Wednesday, if it turns out nice I'll get it and then I'll do a separate post with more details.
I`m pretty sure I know the car you are referring to, it is indeed very blacked out and I recall it having 22`s with bigger brakes

That car has been on the market for a while - I contacted the seller last October regarding it and I don't know how long it had been for sale at that stage

While I considered it I was really looking for a 957 so I didn't pursue it.

Last edited by Sniffer; 07-18-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: 19" wheel fitment over Turbo S brakes?