Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a melted coil.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014 | 12:32 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Default Found a melted coil.

My 05 V6 with 115k started missing yesterday afternoon. I replaced the coils and plugs a few weeks ago. It was still moving, so I decided to drive it home and then to my indy in the morning to pull codes. I still had the old coils in the garage, and since they had been working fine when I replaced them, I threw them into the truck as a potential source for a swap in case one of the new coils had gone south.

I smelled hot plastic on the drive and when I popped the hood I found that the top of one of the coils was sitting higher than the rest. I figured that might be the problem - maybe I hadn't seated it fully and it had popped loose on the horrific potholes we've got right now. It wouldn't re-seat, so I pulled it out to find that it had actually melted!

I pulled it and put in one of the old ones and everything was back to normal.

I searched the forum and found one other instance of a melted coil, this one in a V8.

I guess if there's a moral here, it's "Don't throw out old parts that you replaced before they actually stopped working".

I'll post some pics shortly. It's pretty dramatic!
Old 03-13-2014 | 12:36 PM
CaptJim
Racer

That new coil was a manufactured defect. Coils are nothing more that transformers with windings. There was a short internally to cause the failure.
Old 03-13-2014 | 12:42 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I guess if there's a moral here, it's "Don't throw out old parts that you replaced before they actually stopped working".
or... "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
Old 03-13-2014 | 02:27 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaptJim
That new coil was a manufactured defect. Coils are nothing more that transformers with windings. There was a short internally to cause the failure.
That was my conclusion as well. However, I only paid $12 or so. Not worth getting my underwear in a knot.
Attached Images   
Old 03-13-2014 | 03:20 PM
Justinfranke78
Intermediate

Shawn,
Where did you buy coils for $12 Each? Or am I mistaken on the part that was $12?
I want to do mine as well and they look to be about $350 for the set of 8.
cheers!
Old 03-14-2014 | 07:17 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

I'm mistaken: It was $160 for the set of 6: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150737042357...84.m1439.l2649
Old 03-14-2014 | 04:54 PM
CaptJim
Racer

From the E-bay link, send it back for a replacement

WARRANTY REPLACEMENT POLICY

All parts purchased from DeutschepartsUSA carry a full unconditional one year warranty from date of purchase to be free of all defects in material or workmanship. Should a part fail within the twelve (12) month warranty period, DeutschepartsUSA will provide an immediate replacement of the part. This Warranty Replacement Policy does not provide for a refund of the purchase price, and/or any labor costs involved in the removal and installation of the part. Additionally, DeutschepartsUSA is not responsible for any loss of use in service or repair costs incurred for incidental damage resulting from the failed product.

DeutschepartsUSA is not liable for any loss, cost, expense, inconvenience or damage that may result from use or inability to use the product. Under no circumstances shall DeutschepartsUSA be liable for any loss, cost expense, inconvenience or damage exceeding the purchase price of the product. DeutschepartsUSA makes no other warranty, either express or implied, including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness of particular purpose, or conformity to any to any representative or description, with respect to this product other than as set forth below. The warranty and remedies set forth below are exclusive and in lieu of all other, oral or written, expressed or implied.

Warranty Replacement Requirements:

Ø The defective item needs to be returned to the facility within one (1) year of the original date of purchase
Ø The original defective merchandise must be returned to our facility or a hold of deposit provided before issuing a new warrantied item
Ø DeutschepartsUSA reserves the right to refuse any return that does not meet the requirements setforth in this Warranty Replacement Policy
Old 03-17-2014 | 11:02 AM
Justinfranke78
Intermediate

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2014 | 12:25 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaptJim
From the E-bay link, send it back for a replacement
Huh. Sure, why not?
Old 03-18-2014 | 01:42 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Those look a lot different than the V8 ones.

Just an observation....
Old 03-19-2014 | 10:28 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

They're a lot different.
Old 05-05-2014 | 06:04 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Had another of these coils go bad. I replaced it with one of the ones I removed.

Going to the seller for one was too much effort for the money, but two..?

Yeah, I think I'm going to activate my warranty.
Old 05-05-2014 | 06:51 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

The seller has said warranty replacement is no problem but is cuationing me to check the "ignition control wires". Is he talking about the wires running to the individual coils, or something else?

Quick Reply: Found a melted coil.