Sponsored by:

CD Changer Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:26 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CD Changer Stuck

'04 CS here, original owner, original CD changer in the trunk. Today after listening to the same CD in the cartridge in the changer for a month or two I decided I wanted to listen to a different CD in the cartridge but when I attempted to change CD from the PCM control panel a different CD would not load. When stopped I opened the trunk, accessed the changer and attempted to eject the cartridge but nothing happened. Now when I push the CDC button on the PCM I get a message saying in essence Load Cartridge. Well, the cartridge is in there but unrecognized. All other PCM functions seem to work just fine.

I did a search in the forum but found nothing on point.

Is there an emergency eject control somewhere? Any other ideas? The cartridge seems to be pretty firmly in place, and of course I'm worried the very hot summer here may have caused something to warp.

Thanks,

--Bob
Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 PM
rbaron
Racer

I'm still looking....there's got to be an emergency ejection control somewhere....
Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not aware of emergency eject control button anywhere. Did it start making any noise that was louder then usual or can you hear it trying to eject when you hit the button ?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:48 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
I'm not aware of emergency eject control button anywhere. Did it start making any noise that was louder then usual or can you hear it trying to eject when you hit the button ?
It does not make any noise when I hit the eject button nor did I hear any unusual noises before this problem arose.

I would be inclined to first wonder if it was getting power but I assume it is because the display on the PCM in the dash recognizes that a cartridge needs to be loaded, and it certainly was operating just fine until I told it to change disks. At that point it indicated it was loading a different disk and then it seemed to give up.

I've tried to find a blown fuse without success so far; the list of fuses in the owner's manual is not of much help.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:44 PM
rbaron
Racer

And no solution so far. If no one has any thoughts I guess I'll have to swing by the dealer....
Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had a similar problem. For some reason, it didn't recognize CD 2, so I loaded CD 5. It worked, so I pulled the changer and blew out some dust and the problem hasn't repeated.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would suggest disconnecting power from the CD changer, and plugging it back in. The plugs may be difficult to get to, and the CD changer is definitely a pain to remove, but it may be worth a shot.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:40 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by Divot
I've had a similar problem. For some reason, it didn't recognize CD 2, so I loaded CD 5. It worked, so I pulled the changer and blew out some dust and the problem hasn't repeated.
Thanks, but unfortunately I'm getting a message that there is no cd-containing cartridge in the changer, which is patently untrue....
Old 01-15-2013, 04:42 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
I would suggest disconnecting power from the CD changer, and plugging it back in. The plugs may be difficult to get to, and the CD changer is definitely a pain to remove, but it may be worth a shot.
Thanks. Any idea where the power cord attaches to the changer? It doesn't appear obvious but maybe tomorrow when it is warmer I can take a closer look.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

It will be on the back side, close to the inside of the rear fender. I believe there is one optical connector and one electrical connector.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
It will be on the back side, close to the inside of the rear fender. I believe there is one optical connector and one electrical connector.
Thanks! Since my garage is not heated and the wind chill is 28F and falling I think I'll wait a day or two to locate them Do you remember if you have to remove the changer to get to them?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Brit6
Racer

This might sound weird but try tapping it with your hand from the top or bottom and then eject again.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbaron
Thanks! Since my garage is not heated and the wind chill is 28F and falling I think I'll wait a day or two to locate them Do you remember if you have to remove the changer to get to them?
I don't remember for sure, but I suspect that you will have to remove it.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can reach the power and the optical connections without removing the trim but its very painful

Think in terms of "using the force" because you are totally blind. Get your self comfortable because you will be there a while is my guess unless you have really slim arms

Reach forward from the hatch and feel your way along, there are 2 connectors as I said. 1 has only 2 connections, the cable feels sturdy, thats the fiber, leave that one alone, the other has I think 4 wires on it. It has a small lock so feel around for that.

Whisky may help
Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM
rbaron
Racer

Whisky sounds great but a heated garage would be even better.

I've tried tapping it from the bottom but there is no room to tap it from the top, nor does there appear to be room to get my hand in behind it (see hopefully attached photo).

Of possible interest: when I turn on the car, then turn on the PCM, then push the CDC button, I get the message "CD Changer: Load Magazine". If I then turn off the PCM and turn it back on and push the CDC button I get the message "CD Changer: No CD". At least those messages in that sequence seem to be consistent.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: CD Changer Stuck