Sponsored by:

My 2012 Cayenne V6 Review -

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mad & Tex,
For my highway travels I regularly get 26 mpg.
Like Tex, for our mountain trips I get 25 mpg.
All travel averaging 68 mph (includes going through small towns and stops every couple of hours for scenery/gas/food/dog stops )
Old 08-08-2012, 01:41 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good resurrected thread!

I have had a 2013 V6 Cayenne for a few weeks and 2000km now, so can add to the commentary here.

First off, my mindset in buying: I had a certain price in mind. I could afford a CTT, but did not get there in life buy spending all my money if you know what I mean! So with a nice round number, I could get a basic Caynenne, or a fully loaded lesser vehicle. I chose a V6 + Tiptronic + Panorama + Park Distance + Hitch + debadged + Turbo II wheels (cheap replica's … keep Porsche 18" rims for winter). Thats it, thats all. Reading about all these must have options, and the great pure-bred V8's was very tough, but I held the line. In summary, now that I have the car, I don't regret my decision for a moment! I love this vehicle (so does my wife), and it has exceeded my expectations. Had I spent over a $100K (double?!?), my expectations would be far higher, and I am not so sure that they would be met!

On the V6: I had read several negative reviews in the media "Not Porsche's finest moment", "20 year old VW technology", "Unacceptable performance for the marque", "Lots of vibration", etc. Before test driving the V6, I tested a CS, and a BMW X5 with its wonderful turbo 6 engine. I also own a 5-series with its wonderful 3.0l i6. Back to back I was unimpressed with the Cayenne V6, but wanted to stick to budget. Now that I have driven the car day to day, it has definitely exceeded my "lowered" expectations on that engine. It does everything I ask of it, it does so with a nice throaty growl, and the sport button totally changes the character: for the better! Without the button depressed, it lugs around at low RPM, triggers "$hit … I stalled the manual thoughts" at every stop, and a little loud and rough around the edges. Hit sports, and all that is replaced with a grin on my face from the responsiveness and sound! All that being said, Porsche should do something about the vibrations and random tingles for this class of vehicle (use the Audi 3.0 V6 already?) but you quickly get used to it. Verdict: If in budget get the V8, if not do not let the V6 dissuade you!

Panorama: Love it!!!! Test drove a 2011 with Panorama, and it was rattly with some wind noise. I was not impressed with the sun shade liner that looked cheap compared to other vehicles. I decided "NO". Wife talked me into getting it after-all. On mine, almost no noise, just a slightest whistle sometimes if I have no radio and really listen for it. The sun shade will be permanently retracted while driving (why close the view?), and it totally makes and lights up my black interior. First thing anybody notices when they get in! My 5 year old daughter in the back seat is in love looking at the sky, moon, and stars!

Park distance: Works as advertised, and shows up on the screen with CDR (no PCM). Anther one my wife twisted my arm to get, as she found the rear visibility atrocious during the test drive. Have to admit, the rear and side visibility not that great, but you get used to it.

Milage: Mine rings up 10.9 l/100km on my first 2000 miles. This is much better than the first generation X5 it replaces, and just a bit more than my BMW 5 series sedan. Small price to pay for all the utility, space, and decent performance. For MadCayenne, I am sure there will be a penalty with the CTT as you will drive it much harder in real life! Also at one point you are overcoming weight, drivetrain, large tires, aerodynamics, etc. And there is a limit of putting in a smaller engine being more efficient.

Tubo-II replica's: These look great, and make the look! Paid only $220 each! Got 20" since it is a daily driver, on bad roads. When I walk up to the car, I often think 21" or 22" would look cooler (And not much more in replica's) ... but with the 20's I hardly notice any more harshness than the 18's, and will hopefully survive the potholes ... mission acomplished! BTW, have had replica's on my previous cars, and never an issue.

De-badging: Love the clean "Porsche" look. Would I like that same clean hatch look on a Turbo? I think so, but may have to do some soul searching on that one

What am I missing: Sound system? Standard is ok for casual listening. No GPS? For the few times a year a need one, Garmin suctioned to the window. Suspension upgrades? Standard is a nice compromise between comfort and great handling, I did try out the "g's" by throwing into a tight 180 at like 100km/h, some body lean, felt the weight, and traction controls working hard to stay the course, have to wonder how nice it would be with PASM+AIR+PTV+PDCC, but will keep the $10K in my pocket, this is an SUV after all ... how often do I really need to 4 wheel drift through 180's! Extra charge paint? I love the free white (much better than the previous sand white IMHO)! No Xenon? Common Porsche, yellow lights on this class of vehicle? People may laugh at me at night, I'll survive, at least I have the cool LED lighting.

Now that I have it - do I regret not getting a much better optioned RX350 or something? Not on your life!

Acid test: Came back to my car the other day with a bunch of guys bent all over it. At first I thought something was wrong, but they said they were just admiring it. First question from one of them "how much?", answered him, response "WTF???? I paid almost that for my pickup truck, damn I thought it was over $100K" !

So just a "value" oriented review, to weight against all the "must have" reviews. Have to admit, this vehicle has quite the range for different folks!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Good reviews and things to know there. I am pretty set for the V6 , and maybe the air suspension as it has been on several mist have lists here on RL. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Tex94
Instructor

Nice write up steve_cayenne. Where did you pick up your Turbo II replicas? I'm still driving around on my stock 18s and really wanting a switch but I dont want to go crazy on the $$ or beyond a 20" wheel.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:16 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Tex #2,

From Canada, so not sure if a good option for you but the distributer is replika.ca ... go under Porsche, and style R140. This is a "Fast Wheels" brand (fastco.ca), they seem to have a good reputation, have been in business for decades, do large volumes including OEM, and supposedly keep a close eye on their Chinese manufacturers. Somehow this gives me more reassurance than trusting some random ebay vendor with my life and car

I ordered through a local "tire shop", and they charged less than the suggested retail on the site.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Tex94
Instructor

Thanks I'll check them out. I have been looking for a quality replica wheel in the turbo II style
Old 08-09-2012, 04:57 PM
MadCayenne
Cruisin'

Cool Thanks for the info

RESP and Tex, thanks for the update on the long-range fuel economy. Just filled up at Costco this morning (darned gas prices, thanks Chevron Richmond Refinery Fire) and my gas app said I was averaging 17.4 miles per gallon. I hope to get that over 20 soon, but I spend too much time over 80mph. Thank goodness the dealer set my speed alert at 85 or I would be doing 90+ all the time.

Agree on the Sport button. What a difference it makes. I don't use it when I have passengers as it tends to rev higher and give more of a kick when shifting, but when it's just me in the Cayenne, it brings a smile to my face.

Sound system? Wish I had Bose or Burmeister, but I spend most of my time listening to CNN/BBC/NPR anyway. I don't need news in glistening super surround sound. I would gladly trade XM for a backup camera.

The 19 and 21in Porsche Cayenne wheels look nice but for some reason, the 20in wheels don't appeal to me. I've seen some listings on Ebay for the 18 and 19 in wheels, with a couple of listings in SoCal.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:28 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Not sure how 19 and 21 inch wheels would look nice in the same style, but not 20. Perhaps you mean different styles available in those sizes.

Anyways, see below how the Turbo II replica's in 20 look. I am still waiting for the gun metal colour crest centre caps from ebay, although the caps from my 18's fit and don't look bad.

For my needs, 20 is a good compromise size between looks and and comfort. There is still a decent sidewall on the 45 profile to avoid harshness, cushion the potholes, and allow for some mild off road use. I had 35 profile tires on a previous SUV and those definitely gave a rougher ride, more road noise, and more uneven tire wear.

That being said, the higher side wall did catch me a bit by surprise. When I dug into the numbers after the fact, the new cayenne OEM size is 255/55-18 or 275/45-20 (29.04 vs 29.74 inch) a significantly taller tire. While the old Cayenne when from the same 255/55-18 to 275/40-20 (28.66 inch) a slightly shorter tire.
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM
MadCayenne
Cruisin'

Default Nice 20s

Those 20in Turbo II Replicas look sweet, Steve. I need those for Summer driving...
Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Bims
3rd Gear

OMG, can you tell us where you got those replika? need some also !!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 AM
saraojo
AutoX

nice wheels!

Last edited by saraojo; 03-03-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Hud99
Advanced

Tex94 and others with a V6,

It's been over a year since you bought your V6. O like your post and objective assessment. How is that engine doing? Any long term observations or comments to share on the V6 and options? Thanks!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Tex94
Instructor

Overall: Yes, I am 16 months and 14,500 miles in and I am still super happy with my purchase. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned; handling, quality, features, etc., are all fantastic. If I had to purchase again what would I change?

Features to add:
Trailer Hitch: this was a big miss on my part which, fortunately, I was able to fix aftermarket but for a $1k premium
Wheels: I really hate these stock Cayenne base wheels. If you need to stay 18” then switching to the SIII for $390 would be a no brainer but I likely would have selected a 19-20” wheel since I drive in snow from time to time.
Air Suspension: I couldn’t justify this on the V6
PDCC/PTV: same as AS, hard to justify this on a V6 but I wish I had it

Features to drop:
Roof Rails: I thought I would use these but I have yet to use them once. While they don’t look bad, I think the Cayenne looks better without these

Features I wish I could have added but are there now:
HD Radio
Online Services

Big Question: V6 or S?
This is a tough call for me and depending on the day I might choose to upgrade to the V8. I would say 95% of the time the V6 is plenty powerful on both highway and city streets but every so often it would be nice to have that extra kick down low. As I have said all along, if money is no issue then a V8 is the way to go but most people will be fine with the V6. I will say that since I have owned this car my average speed is around 15mph higher than I used to drive (which wasn’t exactly slow) so perhaps the extra power would just get me in trouble!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:03 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm six months into mine and about 9400 miles. The air suspension is well worth the price, V6 or not. So is PDCC. I can take corners at speed without worrying about body roll . Did not get PTV so can't comment

The V6 has plenty of pep for most of my driving situations. I'm happy with the choice other than the gas mileage (20-21 mpg highway). Mileage is at least equivalent to the vehicle it replaced. I'm fine with the stock 18" wheels and put the money into other options. No issues to date other than maintenance and a flat tire which enabled me to drag out the spare and try it out. Since I had a road hazard warranty, the tire replacement was covered.

I plan on using the roof rails this summer and am trying to decide on the roof box to buy.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

I did have some vibration issues with the V6, but this was completely solved by changing the downpipes under warranty.

For SUV standards, a basic suspension V6 is an excellent performer, and little out there can really show it up. This absolutely does anything I would reasonably* ever ask it to do ... leave everybody behind at a green light, pass a slow truck blasting by at 100MPH once you are done flooring it, fly around corners, do any speed you could possibly do in America without ending up in prison, and always feeling completely composed and stable. The only thing missing is some chilling-thrills and lunacy.

Now for Porsche standards, perhaps some lunacy is in order, and you would need the V8 or Turbo for that!

Jermey Clarkson often says when reviewing something realy good "This car scares me to death, I feel like it is always trying to kill me, terrifying!" The V6 Cayenne, unfortunately (or fortunately) does NOT do that!

If you have nothing better to do with $10K, by all means get the V8, and throw another $10K and get all four suspension/handling upgrades. If you are value oriented, and are not trying to purchase a thrill car, the base model will likely suite you fine.

Personally I would do the same base build again, looking forwards to adding a 2014 base Boxster in the next year on the savings from not fully loading the Cayenne.

*Reasonable Excludes:
- Racing Ferraris at stop lights.
- Blowing away X5M's on the highway.
- Taking on a 911 on the track.
- You get the point!!!

Last edited by steve_Cayenne; 03-11-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: My 2012 Cayenne V6 Review -