Sponsored by:

Wummering, Card(ig)an Shafts, and Good (?) Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:50 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wummering, Card(ig)an Shafts, and Good (?) Vibrations

Old issue I know, but I think that I have been bitten.

I have read the posts re: the Cardan (caridgan, carden) shaft and its related descriptions. I have wummered in the car at speeds between 47 and 63, applying the accelerator, and drfiting in neutral. I cannot tell whether I am imagining the issue or whether I am hearing it because I have read so much about it.

My question: If I had it (the Cardan shaft issue that is) I would know it right? Is it very noticeable, and wouldn't be mistaken for tire noise over the impeccably maintained NE highway system?

The car is going in tommorow for round 2 on the hatch seals, and the CDC enable, Round 4 on the coils, and I would love to get this resolved while I still have my clothes on.

So please any of you that have had the issue, please give me some feedback.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:08 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes its hard to hear because of other noise distractions, you hear it before you feel it, its the low frequency droan that I noticed first and as you said the wummering was the only thing a Swiss guy and i could agree upon as getting the right period on the harmonic when we tried to describe it.

The speeds are right. other people can here when it gets really bad but you may pick it up ealrier because your in it all the time.

There are a range of Vins that they know are bad, but thats not the only group as the known bad ones. they thought the 2003/04 changeover was all but from what I was told 03 units got right into 04 production.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:16 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by mudman2

There are a range of Vins that they know are bad, but thats not the only group as the known bad ones. they thought the 2003/04 changeover was all but from what I was told 03 units got right into 04 production.
Thank you. Do you have the range of VINs? I have a 7/03 build, and knock on wood, I have been fortunate.

However, the coil gremlins are giggling, and I think I may need a new cardigan sweater
Old 02-14-2008, 01:19 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

no but I think you are smack in the middle of them
Old 02-14-2008, 01:32 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

no but I think you are smack in the middle of them
Thank you again. I will run it by my dealer tommorow and see what I can get. I have the new part number, and I will ask that they confirm that the shaft has the new part number.

Problem is, I honestly can't tell anymore whether I have the noise/droan for real, or whether I am imagining the draon because I think I should have it.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:15 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default well..

for a guy who hated his 45 i wouldn't normally help...

but have a fresh road force balance done on the tires, and then find the smoothest road in your area (preferably one that has just been ground smooth). it should be more noticeable in the speed range, i also think it should be more noticeable with your foot on the tranny tunnel (cruise control time).
Old 02-14-2008, 03:58 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by droptop

but have a fresh road force balance done on the tires, and then find the smoothest road in your area (preferably one that has just been ground smooth). it should be more noticeable in the speed range, i also think it should be more noticeable with your foot on the tranny tunnel (cruise control time).
Have not tried that one, and will try tonight. Finding a smooth road in Mass is like the state bringing in a public works job in on time and on budget - impossible.

Thanks for your help. I am hoping that I am being psychosomatic about this, but with nakedity fast approaching, I want to get all I can get, while the getting is good.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:26 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Your warranty is about to expire and you may have a problem which according to this forum, is an expensive one. I would make sure this is stated on your work order "in writing" when you bring it into the dealership. That way, even if they don't fix it now, you can still bring it back later because the problem existed before expiration.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by droptop

Did it, did not feel any thumping or any rhythmic bumping. Still not convinced I am out of the woods.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 02-21-2008, 12:57 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

UPDATE: went to pick car up after a week in the shop waiting for the left rear hatch seal to come in. Good news: I have the updated cardan shaft. Bad News: Got in car, wouldn't turn over. Then it started and I had the PSM warning light on, and the car started in D1. Checking battery.
Stuck in an Audi wagon for another day.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:59 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alsamrob
I have the updated cardan shaft.
Is updated the same thing as a brand new one?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:03 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Sounds like they did more than they say. D1 is a sign of a Transmission Control Box change maybe.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:36 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Is updated the same thing as a brand new one?
Negative. My car got the cardan shaft with the new pn when it was built.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:38 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Sounds like they did more than they say. D1 is a sign of a Transmission Control Box change maybe.
Interesting. Any reason they would hide that from me? They indicated it was a result of the low/dead battery.

Looking forward to the call where they tell me I need a new battery.

Quick Reply: Wummering, Card(ig)an Shafts, and Good (?) Vibrations