Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

674 MPH Cayenne S (Turbo still faster @ 690 MPH)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:56 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 674 MPH Cayenne S (Turbo still faster @ 690 MPH)

I couldn't resist putting this in a new thread. The 200MPH thread got me thinking when WINGLESS made the "dump it out of a plane" speed comment... with a drag co-efficient of .39 we can calculate the actual rate at what our beloved Cayenne would actually "fly" into the earth.

Terminal velocity: An object which is falling through the atmosphere is subjected to two external forces. One force is the gravitational force, expressed as the weight of the object. The other force is the air resistance, or drag of the object. The motion of any object can be described by Newton's second law of motion, force F equals mass m times acceleration a: F = m * a which can be solved for the acceleration of the object in terms of the net external force and the mass of the object: a = F / m. Weight and drag are forces which are vector quantities. The net external force F is then equal to the difference of the weight W and the drag D: F = W - D. The acceleration of a falling object then becomes: a = (W - D) / m . The magnitude of the drag is given by the drag equation. Drag D depends on a drag coefficient Cd, the atmospheric density r, the square of the air velocity V, and some reference area A of the object: D = Cd * r * V ^2 * A / 2

Drag increases with the square of the speed. So as an object falls, we quickly reach conditions where the drag becomes equal to the weight, if the weight is small. When drag is equal to weight, there is no net external force on the object and the vertical acceleration goes to zero. With no acceleration, the object falls at a constant velocity as described by Newton's first law of motion. The constant vertical velocity is called the terminal velocity. Using algebra, we can determine the value of the terminal velocity. At terminal velocity: D = W

Cd * r * V ^2 * A / 2 = W

Solving for the vertical velocity V, we obtain the equation

V = sqrt ( (2 * W) / (Cd * r * A)

Thus, let's assume NO ONE is inside the vehicle and the only "luggage" is ltc's former straight jacket and/or his TCU! The calculation for a S would be if we shoved it out of a cargo plane at 35,000 feet:

V= sqrt ((2*4949 lbs.)/(.39 * air density (fm table) * Area (front view ~ 75.9" x 66.9") A= 35.2 sq.ft.

THUS -- Actual Maximum speed of a Cayenne S is 674.1 MPH! or 988.7 ft/sec.
A Turbo is still slightly faster than a S!! 690.5 MPH or 1012.7 ft/sec
Old 04-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you think we could drop one on PCNA headquarters if a navigation update doesn't happen? A group buy perhaps of a CTT from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT. You will have to recalculate the weight though to account for a cabin filled with feces, dense fecal matter at that.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUT DON"T DO IT!!! The weight of the Cayenne hitting the earth would end all life as we know it and bring us into an "Atomic Winter" while causing the extinction of the "Purpasorus Rex" we all love...
Old 04-03-2006, 01:11 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Correct me ifin I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean that the MY 03 - 04 vehicles have a distinct advantage and would now be coveted over the later model years, because the oft maligned cowboy belt buckles increase the mass of this svelte machine to bolster this impressive top end?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:19 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JFScheck
BUT DON"T DO IT!!! The weight of the Cayenne hitting the earth would end all life as we know it and bring us into an "Atomic Winter" while causing the extinction of the "Purpasorus Rex" we all love...
Hmm, we've found a solution to the liberal tree-hugging fanatic's supposed global warming (caused by the U.S. not India/China which are belching more pollution that the U.S. in all of the 50's and 60's)!

I say end global warming and take out Hammond Drive! Fecal matter (say 500 pounds) and cowboy belt buckles (5 lbs.) in a Turbo pushes the speed to:
752.7 mph or 1104.3 ft/sec!! That's one big pile of **** in Atlanta!
Old 04-03-2006, 02:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kooser
Do you think we could drop one on PCNA headquarters if a navigation update doesn't happen? A group buy perhaps of a CTT from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT. You will have to recalculate the weight though to account for a cabin filled with feces, dense fecal matter at that.
I happen to know of an 04 Cayenne S with 63,792 miles that is currently 'available' for such a mission..........
Old 04-03-2006, 02:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You should also take into account the reduction in drag caused the rear window microswitch deploying/opening the rear glass hatch during the descent phase of the mission...............
Old 04-03-2006, 04:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

For MadFox............

Sir Bedevere: There are ways of telling whether it is a Cayenne.
Peasant 1: Are there? Oh well, tell us.
Sir Bedevere: Tell me. What do you do with Cayennes?
Peasant 1: Burn them.
Sir Bedevere: And what do you burn, apart from Cayennes?
Peasant 1: More Cayennes.
Peasant 2: Wood.
Sir Bedevere: Good. Now, why do Cayennes burn?
Peasant 3: ...because they're made of... wood?
Sir Bedevere: Good. So how do you tell whether the Cayenne is made of wood?
Peasant 1: Build a bridge out of it.
Sir Bedevere: But can you not also build bridges out of stone?
Peasant 1: Oh yeah.
Sir Bedevere: Does wood sink in water?
Peasant 1: No, no, it floats!... It floats! Throw the Cayenne into the pond!
Sir Bedevere: No, no. What else floats in water?
Peasant 1: Bread.
Peasant 2: Apples.
Peasant 3: Very small rocks.
Peasant 1: Cider.
Peasant 2: Gravy.
Peasant 3: Cherries.
Peasant 1: Mud.
Peasant 2: Churches.
Peasant 3: Lead! Lead!
King Arthur: A Duck.
Sir Bedevere: ...Exactly. So, logically...
Peasant 1: If the vehicle weighed the same as a duck... it's made of wood.
Sir Bedevere: And therefore...
Peasant 2: ...A Cayenne!

The logic, much like Professor MadFox's calculus, is undeniable.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:58 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
You should also take into account the reduction in drag caused the rear window microswitch deploying/opening the rear glass hatch during the descent phase of the mission...............
I did use it in the calculation! However, just for a mere 1.7 seconds, at which time I calculated that the entire rear window assembly blew off the vehicle! Now, I did forget to deduct from the drag co-efficient for scratches and small dents interrupting the airflow around the driver's side door where the key fob had been "accidentally" thrown at the vehicle on numerous occassions.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:02 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
King Arthur: A Duck.
Sir Bedevere: ...Exactly. So, logically...
Peasant 1: If the vehicle weighed the same as a duck... it's made of wood.
Sir Bedevere: And therefore...
Peasant 2: ...A Cayenne!

The logic, much like Professor MadFox's calculus, is undeniable.
You don't know how funny "duck" is.. see PM later today. But the terminal velocity calculations are "dead serious" (just google if'n you don't believe!) and I think with a HEAVY front loaded engine that the drag co-efficient is pretty close to reality since most likely it would be in a nose-down position upon striking Hammond Drive.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If you have a specific target in mind (and Hammond Drive is as good as any other), I know a guy (no names please) who used to design inertial nav systems components a while back.

I'm sure he could come up with something to use PCNA's own NAVTEQ discs along with a cannibalized PCM2 (CD based) system and GPS parts from the Cayenne itself to turnt he Cayenne into a 'smart' projectile.

Could probably also use the rear hatch, moonroof and self ejecting trim and badges as steering fins.

Would be kind of poetic justice........
Old 04-03-2006, 05:32 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Could probably also use the rear hatch, moonroof and self ejecting trim and badges as steering fins. Would be kind of poetic justice........
You want pure Shakespearean JUSTICE? When we push it out of the cargo transport (maybe not a C5 after today's sad news), we would count to seven........ one, two, seven... no three sir. Seven damn it ----- PUSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! whoops the loadmaster got caught by the cowboy belt buckle and went down with the Pepper. More poetic justice... the loadmaster was a guy name Peter??
He then lands on the 500 pounds of excrement pre-loaded in the Cayenne.

Someone asks --- Was he African or European??
Another replys ---- I don't know that?!?!!
Madfox responds --- No not African or European..... he was HAWAIIAN ------- is that 5-O theme music I hear? or did we overfly Atlanta and hit the Dept. of Commerce in Honolulu?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:16 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I happen to know of an 04 Cayenne S with 63,792 miles that is currently 'available' for such a mission..........

is it certified?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:28 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Dropping a Cayenne on someone is not something I can condone, any more than I condone dropping houses on wicked witches, of the East.

To quote the Riddler, in Batman and Robin: "If you drop a Cayenne on them, how are they gonna learn anything?" or something like that...

On a related note: the guided block-o-concrete bomb is way cool.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alex911s
is it certified?
No, but I heard that the previous owner was "certifiable...or certifiably nuts"

Quick Reply: 674 MPH Cayenne S (Turbo still faster @ 690 MPH)