Sponsored by:

First CEL Code p2181 09 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 06:01 PM
bigbevo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First CEL Code p2181 09 GTS

Well it was a nice week of trouble free ownership for the new to me 09 GTS I bought six days ago. At lunch today the check engine light came on with code P2181 - Cooling System Performance. The oil and cooling system temp are right dead in the middle and she drives just fine. I've read here that this often means the t-stat is stuck open resulting in lower temp's. That doesn't seem to the case here as the temps get up to the midrange and stay just stay there even in 85 degree heat in traffic.

I guess replacing the t-stat is the first step to fix the problem. From what I've read replacing the water pump should be done at the same time. I'm ready - thanks to this forum.

I knew this was coming, but I thought perhaps I would get one full care free weekend of fun in my Cayenne before the CEL lit up, oh well. I knew what I was getting into.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:32 AM
Rossi
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah, new thermostat will get you all sorted.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-09-gts-3.html
Old 04-14-2018, 12:52 PM
bigbevo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I used my newly acquired Actron CP9660 PocketScan Plus to clear the p2181 code. I'll get the parts on order. I wonder if the purchase of the code scanner counts as me living the Porsche lifestyle to its fullest? Does the clearing of the code count as my first repair? Ha

I was relishing in my "fix" as I drove around this morning. Stopped to get her hand washed....get back in and guess what? Only the bass in the speakers was working. I was trouble free for a good 20 minutes. I'm glad I did a quick google search before I went back into the car wash complaining about the helpers blowing my speakers, etc... Turns out you just get out, lock it, unlock it, get back in and it works. It did the trick. I checked around the floor mats as I thought perhaps water got in, but it was all bone dry.

What would I do without this forum?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:53 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep, what Rossi said.

How many miles? While in there, you may want to consider a new water pump and check to see how the water pipe is looking. It runs from the T-stat to the rear of the engine.

Oh yeah, anytime you have an issue with convenience systems, the exit-arm-disarm-entry trick often works. It re-initializes the door control module that wakes up the car when entering.

Quick Reply: First CEL Code p2181 09 GTS