Sponsored by:

Rear end vibration 08 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Rear end vibration 08 CTT

I have an 08 CTT that has had a slight rear end vibration ever since I purchased it. The vibration is most prevalent from about 38-40mph and then again at 70+ mph though on some occasions, it seems to be minimal. The vehicle is lowered on lowering links (which I'm going to remove here soon and go stock with Durametric lowering) and has aftermarket 21" wheels with 20mm spacers in the rear. I also had a 4 wheel alignment done 10 months ago at the Benz/Porsche dealer (did not resolve it). There is definitely more negative camber than normal due to being lowered and on spacers. If the camber wasn't identical between wheels I would have assumed the dealer would have brought something up. I don't get too much vibration in the steering wheel either though I can still sense it.

Replaced the rear driveshaft about 6 months ago due to the carden shaft isolator blowing out. About 3 months ago I replaced both rear wheel bearings due to one starting to make some noise. I would have thought that either of those issues would have fixed it but it did not alter it. I know that one of the rear 21" wheels has very small hairline crack but it has zero issues holding air. The obvious thought was possibly one of the wheels got damaged in the back but I think I would constantly feel the vibration when the amount of vibration differs from day to day.

Does anyone have other ideas on what to check (other than buying new rims which I may end of doing here once the weather gets warmer) so I can get rid of this pesky vibration? Thanks!

Camber reference (bad angle I know, but it's all I have for now)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:32 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not drive on a cracked aluminum wheel... Aluminum fractures very quickly!
The vibration could be due to the wheels being tightened before putting the cars weight on the wheels. If an air ratchet is used to tighten the lug nuts/bolts too fast before the cone can fully seat in the whee'ls cone, then that can drive the wheel away from hub-centric. Loosen all the lug bolts, then while the wheel in the air, put the lug bolts in and hand tighten them slowly in a star pattern. Put the wheel on the ground and torque in a star pattern.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:55 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, cracked wheel = no bueno!

c

Quick Reply: Rear end vibration 08 CTT