Sponsored by:

engine start issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 10:59 AM
albatrikhi
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine start issue

My porsche cayenne engine cranks many times before starting if its was under the sun
Old 03-25-2018, 01:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

I understand the "cranks many times" - but "under the sun" is a bit puzzling to me. Can you elucidate on the symptoms a bit - and tell us what year/model Cayenne you own (it does make a difference.. and we can't really guess on that info.)
Old 03-25-2018, 03:57 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

When you say "Under the sun", what kind of ambient temps are you talking about?

Where are you located?

There are places where the temps + sunshine could result in underhood temps that are very high, especially if it's a dark colored car.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:17 PM
albatrikhi
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its cayenne v6 2005
the engine usually starts with no issue if the car is not parked under the sun, else it cranks many times before the engine starts , moreover, sometimes the engine cranks without starting, i have to turn off the switch and try again
Temperature is higher than 35 Celsius most of the year in Saudi
the car color is Titanium Metallic

one more issue, there is a ticking sound near throttle body, this sounds vanish after couple of minutes

Old 03-31-2018, 06:29 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

Ok. 35C is about 95F. That's hot. Plus the Saudi sun, which is pretty intense (at the Tropic of Cancer).

Purely a guess, but the heat is possibly causing vapor lock. The gasoline is vaporizing in the fuel lines and won't flow because it's no longer liquid.

No clue how to deal with it.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:28 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by albatrikhi

its cayenne v6 2005
the engine usually starts with no issue if the car is not parked under the sun, else it cranks many times before the engine starts , moreover, sometimes the engine cranks without starting, i have to turn off the switch and try again
Temperature is higher than 35 Celsius most of the year in Saudi
the car color is Titanium Metallic

one more issue, there is a ticking sound near throttle body, this sounds vanish after couple of minutes

I would suspect a rich condition due to heating of the fuel in the gas tank. The clicking you hear is the carbon-filter purge valve opening to allow the engine to draw the excess fuel out of the carbon canister. It may be an indication that the valve is not closing fully when the vehicle is off - which leads to a lot of fuel vapor making it into the throttle body and making a super rich mixture - which doesn't ignite well. Try something next time it does this - put the pedal almost to the floor - see if it then starts quickly. That would confirm the rich mixture - the pedal to the floor allows more air to be drawn in which will dilute the rich mixture and bring it down to a point where it can be ignited. If that works - I'd be looking at replacing the noisy check valve - which is located near the throttle body most likely. Follow the noise..

I'm assuming no check-engine-light is on..?

Quick Reply: engine start issue