Sponsored by:

Couple Radio Install Questions

Old 11-09-2017, 12:45 PM
MR Turco
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Couple Radio Install Questions

Hi all,

New to me owner of a 2008 GTS. I love it... except for the radio. I decided to go with the Dynavin but had a couple install questions.

I have done a lot of searching so please bear with me.

I really need a backup camera, car did not come with one.
  1. Is there any advice on how to run the camera wire from the tailgate to behind the radio?
  2. Will the radio automatically pick up reverse signal via CAN or do I need to run a relay?

thanks in advance for the help!
Old 11-09-2017, 03:27 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

search is your friend
Old 11-09-2017, 03:35 PM
MR Turco
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
search is your friend
Ive searched and read dozens of threads and have not found this information. If you can do better please help.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:06 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

99.9% sure that it gets the signal that you are in reverse from the car without any extra modification. I am basing that on the fact that by default when you turn on the unit and put it into reverse, the screen automatically changes to the reverse view (even without a camera). It also overlays the reversing lines, that change direction when you change direction.

As far as running the cable up, I searched and found this: https://cai-store.com/pages/cayenne-...tallation-tips

If you do not have a camera yet, I would suggest this:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-...NWAt8k&vxp=mtr

It takes place of one of the plate lights so no drilling required to run the wires.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:13 PM
MR Turco
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
99.9% sure that it gets the signal that you are in reverse from the car without any extra modification. I am basing that on the fact that by default when you turn on the unit and put it into reverse, the screen automatically changes to the reverse view (even without a camera). It also overlays the reversing lines, that change direction when you change direction.

As far as running the cable up, I searched and found this: https://cai-store.com/pages/cayenne-...tallation-tips

If you do not have a camera yet, I would suggest this:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-...NWAt8k&vxp=mtr

It takes place of one of the plate lights so no drilling required to run the wires.
Thank you so much!!
Old 11-09-2017, 08:03 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

There is no simple way to get from the hatch into the cabin. The super grommets at the hinge are difficult to navigate. Notice how CAI skips over that bit
Old 11-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by phatz
There is no simple way to get from the hatch into the cabin. The super grommets at the hinge are difficult to navigate. Notice how CAI skips over that bit
At each hinge is a plastic wire chase that is easy to open and put your wire in. It opens, so the cable can be laid in, not snaked through.

Everything is pretty straight forward, with the hardest part being the panel pieces on the hatch. Running the cable the length of the cabin above the headliner, down the A-pillar, and behind the glove box was pretty easy.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:15 AM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Avec
At each hinge is a plastic wire chase that is easy to open and put your wire in. It opens, so the cable can be laid in, not snaked through.
Correct

The problem is after exiting the hinge cover and into the cabin
Old 11-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by phatz
Correct

The problem is after exiting the hinge cover and into the cabin
I used a piece of wire as a fishing line wot pull it through after that. You reminded me that there was an odd path, but the removal of the panel there between the hinges makes it doable.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:12 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

This guy is doing what you are looking for.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...stall-diy.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Couple Radio Install Questions