Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing bad wiring in headlights... how do I remove this plug?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:10 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fixing bad wiring in headlights... how do I remove this plug?

I opened up a headlight last night to replace the corner light and found that every wire in there had the insulation flaking off, and a light breeze would remove it completely. So now I have the lights sitting on my workbench about to rewire them and I can't quite figure out how to get this plug out of the housing. Anyone have an idea?

Name:  Wt3LfNs.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  461.0 KB

Thanks.

-Mag
Old 07-29-2017, 09:19 AM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It slots in from behind / plastic clip. To be honest I've just deliberately broken mine free as believe some of the errors are from bad connection and this doesn't help. There are several threads related to leveling errors here. Also, the replacement harnesses are only about $55 each from suncoast or others - I just replaced both of mine instead of the torture of wrapping each wire only to have come apart later. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2017, 09:53 AM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

You are referring to the plug between the headlight and the body. This plug is actually inside the headlight assembly.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:37 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

This is conjecture, but I don't think it was designed to be replaceable. If you can't pull it directly out the front, you may need to cut it out with a dremel tool and then plastic weld or epoxy it back in/on.

When you figure it out, please let us know. I am sure others will have this problem down the road as well.
The following users liked this post:
CsnailNRun (02-21-2024)
Old 07-31-2017, 03:32 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

I got it out. If you use a little mirror you can see there are 4 white clips that hold it all in. I used 4 hose clamps that I bent the ends on to wedge between the clips to get them to fit through the hole. It was a major pain in the butt. Sounds easy. Took me a couple hours to get the spacing just right.
The bad part is...there's a couple wires in there that you just cant possibly get to without splitting the headlights. I didn't feel like doing the bake and pray dance so I bit the bullet and ordered a new set of Valeo lights on ebay for $960 shipped. Hopefully they don't suffer the same fate.

-Mag
Old 11-04-2019, 12:41 PM
julahti
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
I got it out. If you use a little mirror you can see there are 4 white clips that hold it all in. I used 4 hose clamps that I bent the ends on to wedge between the clips to get them to fit through the hole. It was a major pain in the butt. Sounds easy. Took me a couple hours to get the spacing just right.
The bad part is...there's a couple wires in there that you just cant possibly get to without splitting the headlights. I didn't feel like doing the bake and pray dance so I bit the bullet and ordered a new set of Valeo lights on ebay for $960 shipped. Hopefully they don't suffer the same fate.

-Mag
Thanks for pointing out those clips. I used tiny screwdrivers that come with iphone digitizer repair kit, 4 or them, and was able to get the connector out. Those 4 wires that go into darkness.....I made a hole with a dremel at the bottom I think I can fix them now.

Quick Reply: Fixing bad wiring in headlights... how do I remove this plug?