Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   Fixing bad wiring in headlights... how do I remove this plug? (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/1002015-fixing-bad-wiring-in-headlights-how-do-i-remove-this-plug.html)

kmagnuss 07-28-2017 09:10 PM

Fixing bad wiring in headlights... how do I remove this plug?

1 Attachment(s)
I opened up a headlight last night to replace the corner light and found that every wire in there had the insulation flaking off, and a light breeze would remove it completely. So now I have the lights sitting on my workbench about to rewire them and I can't quite figure out how to get this plug out of the housing. Anyone have an idea?

Attachment 1353360

Thanks.

-Mag

Lionworks Auto 07-29-2017 09:19 AM

It slots in from behind / plastic clip. To be honest I've just deliberately broken mine free as believe some of the errors are from bad connection and this doesn't help. There are several threads related to leveling errors here. Also, the replacement harnesses are only about $55 each from suncoast or others - I just replaced both of mine instead of the torture of wrapping each wire only to have come apart later. Good luck!

kmagnuss 07-29-2017 09:53 AM

You are referring to the plug between the headlight and the body. This plug is actually inside the headlight assembly.

nodoors 07-31-2017 11:37 AM

This is conjecture, but I don't think it was designed to be replaceable. If you can't pull it directly out the front, you may need to cut it out with a dremel tool and then plastic weld or epoxy it back in/on.

When you figure it out, please let us know. I am sure others will have this problem down the road as well.

kmagnuss 07-31-2017 03:32 PM

I got it out. If you use a little mirror you can see there are 4 white clips that hold it all in. I used 4 hose clamps that I bent the ends on to wedge between the clips to get them to fit through the hole. It was a major pain in the butt. Sounds easy. Took me a couple hours to get the spacing just right.
The bad part is...there's a couple wires in there that you just cant possibly get to without splitting the headlights. I didn't feel like doing the bake and pray dance so I bit the bullet and ordered a new set of Valeo lights on ebay for $960 shipped. Hopefully they don't suffer the same fate.

-Mag

julahti 11-04-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by kmagnuss (Post 14363053)
I got it out. If you use a little mirror you can see there are 4 white clips that hold it all in. I used 4 hose clamps that I bent the ends on to wedge between the clips to get them to fit through the hole. It was a major pain in the butt. Sounds easy. Took me a couple hours to get the spacing just right.
The bad part is...there's a couple wires in there that you just cant possibly get to without splitting the headlights. I didn't feel like doing the bake and pray dance so I bit the bullet and ordered a new set of Valeo lights on ebay for $960 shipped. Hopefully they don't suffer the same fate.

-Mag

Thanks for pointing out those clips. I used tiny screwdrivers that come with iphone digitizer repair kit, 4 or them, and was able to get the connector out. Those 4 wires that go into darkness.....I made a hole with a dremel at the bottom I think I can fix them now.