Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped a belt.. not? what is it??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:59 AM
WWDB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Snapped a belt.. not? what is it??

Hey all,
I was driving home late last night and I heard a knocking noise coming from the engine so I pulled over, turned it off and popped the hood to take a look I noticed a belt had snapped, I pulled it out and got it in better light and noticed it wasn't the serpentine belt but something else. I am stumped and I am wondering if there is a seal or gasket of any sort that may have bet ripped from where it was supposed to be?? Can anyone help me identify what the heck this is before I have to go to where I parked it and start pulling it apart in the street? Much Mahalo!

Old 07-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Tow it home ASAP and dig into it there. Serpentine is the ONLY belt running.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:06 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

The serpentine belt is a 6-rib belt as memory serves. Looks like you lost 2 of the ribs off of yours. It will need to be replaced. Be careful not to run the car until fully inspected and replaced. A loose rib like that can cut hoses and electrical stuff pretty easily.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 PM
BamaScoot
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Any fluid spillage?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:09 PM
WWDB
Intermediate

I would tow it home but for now, it is safe in a neighborhood. I'll be heading over there after work at 1pm to take a better look and determine what to do but again, I don't think its the serpentine belt. I could see that last night still sitting on one of the pulleys. If I do need to tow it then its only 4 miles from home.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:10 PM
WWDB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BamaScoot
Any fluid spillage?
Not that I noticed last night. All I had was my phone light so I couldn't see much.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:13 PM
WWDB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AO
The serpentine belt is a 6-rib belt as memory serves. Looks like you lost 2 of the ribs off of yours. It will need to be replaced. Be careful not to run the car until fully inspected and replaced. A loose rib like that can cut hoses and electrical stuff pretty easily.
6-ribs good to know. I'll be checking that today.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Road debris
Old 07-20-2017, 01:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,144 Likes on 759 Posts

There are no other belts. Check all the pullies and tensioner. One of them could have caused the failure.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:23 PM
WWDB
Intermediate

Does anyone know how easy it is to replace a serpentine belt if that is what it is? I have replaced several but never on a Porsche is there anything I should look out for or change at the same time?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:29 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Quite the mystery. As the others said, either part of your serpentine split off from the rest or you somehow got someone else's belt from a much older vehicle intertwined in your engine bay. I have never seen the first happen, but the second seems equally unlikely if you had the belly pan, etc. installed and even if you didn't it would be remarkably unlucky.

Definitely follow the advice of not running the engine until you figure it out. My boat snapped a belt at high rpm and it did all kinds of damage to wiring, hoses, and hydraulic lines.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:53 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by WWDB
Does anyone know how easy it is to replace a serpentine belt if that is what it is? I have replaced several but never on a Porsche is there anything I should look out for or change at the same time?
I have replaced several of them on two different CTTs. They are not easy, but if you take your time, you will be fine. The main issue is the number of pulleys for the belt to go around and the nearly complete lack of visibility for the lowers.

Before you take off your belt, spend time familiarizing yourself and take pictures. The Porsche diagrams only go so far. I also suggest that you take off the engine undertrays so that you can access the belt from the bottom as well.

Good luck!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 07-20-2017, 02:16 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

If it is remnants of your belt (which I suspect it is), then the question of why did it come apart, should also be investigated. Inspect idler pulleys, water pump, etc.

The belt itself isn't THAT bad, but gaining access to the passenger-side lower pulleys is probably easier from underneath. After that, it's just a matter of working it up and over to the diver-side where the tensioner is.

Here's a link to a vid for a water pump replacement that might come in handy.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:44 PM
WWDB
Intermediate

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will defiantly be following up on this adventure of mine.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:40 PM
WWDB
Intermediate

OK so quick update.The Serpentine belt lost 3 ribs. 2 on the outside and one on the inner.

-A Vacuum line: going somewhere(IMAGE1)..? (Ideas/part number?) Also see image 3.

-The tensioner pulley is no good and has plastic or something on the between the wheel and the engine (IMAGE 2)

Quick Reply: Snapped a belt.. not? what is it??